Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Thermal R&D exhaust keeps coming loose

OP
DangerMouse

DangerMouse

Thread Starter #41
Would it work to slide the clamp out of the way and drill a small hole through both pipes at the joint and pop in a steel rivet, then reclamp over it?
The exhaust pipes don't fit over each, they just sit in the clamp next to each other, so I don't think that would work.

KnockOff

1000 Post Club
What about 2 rivets. ==][== 1 through the clamp into both sides

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

dmb

The exhaust pipes don't fit over each, they just sit in the clamp next to each other, so I don't think that would work.
they don't slip fit? if not you need a piece to slip both ends into like a female in plumbing or weld the seam. that clamp is made for slip fit maybe you are missing that piece. thats crazy that they didn't give you that piece. you can get a small piece of 3'' stainless steel flex pipe and use two clamps at any big truck parts house. or on line.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Called Thermal today....message machine...left message now along with E-mail....awaiting response for either! [?|]

OP
DangerMouse

DangerMouse

Thread Starter #45
they don't slip fit? if not you need a piece to slip both ends into like a female in plumbing or weld the seam. that clamp is made for slip fit maybe you are missing that piece. thats crazy that they didn't give you that piece. you can get a small piece of 3'' stainless steel flex pipe and use two clamps at any big truck parts house. or on line.
Nope, not slip fit. Most aftermarket exhausts for the fist use the band clamps. It's nice in a way, rather than gaskets and flanges, gaskets tend to go bad quickly, but annoying when it doesn't stay put. I havet't had time to do anything yet due to my work schedule but hopefully Monday I'll get some quotes for vband clamps. I don't want to add more pipe and clamps. Most likely I'll end up tack welding the clamps, It's just more of a pain when and if I need to remove it.

I'd say get a 3" long piece that's just big enough for a slip fit, weld to one end then use a lap joint style of high quality band clamp. Problem solved. I can't believe that Thermal of all companies would have a butt connection in their systems!

dmb

I'd say get a 3" long piece that's just big enough for a slip fit, weld to one end then use a lap joint style of high quality band clamp. Problem solved. I can't believe that Thermal of all companies would have a butt connection in their systems!
ya, something is wrong, like they didn't finish the slip joint on one of the pipes

OP
DangerMouse

DangerMouse

Thread Starter #50
Took it to the shop today. Front clamp was bad again, middle and back clamps still look new. They recommended a vband clamp, I'm kicking myself for not ordering one sooner. I'm only going to do the front connection vband, I asked them to tack weld the clamps but they said it wouldn't hold with how much the clamp has stretched.

They put some sealant on it to try and help hold me until next week when I have more free time to get the vband on.

I have been thinking about which exhaust to buy and install over this winter, and the Thermal has gone from number one on my list to number none. They are likely a small company so to some extent users are beta testers, but once a problem like this is brought to their attention, they should be very concerned and responsive, and thankful lto learn about it. Plus, not a single exhaust system should leave their facilities without a solution being adopted. Is a vband too costly or does it limit desirable adjustability of position? I don't know. But systems with flanges seem to work okay, other than gaskets being a potential wear item. They should do something, and soon.

I have been thinking about which exhaust to buy and install over this winter, and the Thermal has gone from number one on my list to number none. They are likely a small company so to some extent users are beta testers, but once a problem like this is brought to their attention, they should be very concerned and responsive, and thankful lto learn about it. Plus, not a single exhaust system should leave their facilities without a solution being adopted. Is a vband too costly or does it limit desirable adjustability of position? I don't know. But systems with flanges seem to work okay, other than gaskets being a potential wear item. They should do something, and soon.
Mine has not loosened. Iā€™m not sure why otherā€™s have, but mine is still tight.

Sent from my iPhone using Glue and macaroni

Mine has not loosened. Iā€™m not sure why otherā€™s have, but mine is still tight.

Sent from my iPhone using Glue and macaroni
Same here, I did have an issue after I first installed it with it being loose, but ended up being myself not going back and tightening it after getting the whole system aligned

OP
DangerMouse

DangerMouse

Thread Starter #57
I was thinking about a good sealant or RTV ......was just cruising permatex's website..... This may work for our exhaust. I may give it a whirl.....I am still waiting for my Email or phone call back from Thermal R & D.[bash]

https://www.permatex.com/products/g...aximum-temperature-rtv-silicone-gasket-maker/

I don't know why they aren't responding to you. They replied to my email immediately and shipped new clamps to me right away.

I will say I'm not sure why I am having issues. It was fine for six months until I put my mountune downpipe on.

I don't know if the mountune downpipe is shorter than stock or other aftermarket downpipes, or if it creates too much heat for the clamp or what. I wouldn't think it would but it could be just a smidge shorter, that would make sense. Unfortunately I don't have a comparison. Also there isn't much pipe off the front of the resonator for the clamp to hold on to.

I still really like the exhaust, I wanted 3" and I love the sound and no drone, otherwise I wouldn't go through the hassle of this.

I would still recommend the exhaust, my case seems rare but that's my life, just be aware you may need to do something more.

In my opinion, Thermal shouldn't even have that clamp there in the first place, it should be one piece from the dp to the resonator. I'm guessing they were trying to save time and money.

I probably could have welded the two together but I like the idea of vband so it will be easy to remove, without having to drop the middle brace and pull it all out. I am planning on an upgraded turbo and it will just be that much easier.

I think I will email thermal again and update them on my issues.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Just spoke to Chuck @ Thermal....he said to make sure the pipes that meet together are equal lengths into the clamp. He also said that they are working on a Install video for the FiST. He is on vacation till next week....but will contact the manufacturer of the clamp to see if there is an actual torque spec for them all. Also he said that they have shot them all down with impacts and never broken a bolt on them yet. There is no need for a thread locker or sealant on the exhaust. There it is folks...
Straight from Thermal!

Now just awaiting the Torque spec if there is one.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

TDavis

1000 Post Club
I don't know why they aren't responding to you. They replied to my email immediately and shipped new clamps to me right away.

I will say I'm not sure why I am having issues. It was fine for six months until I put my mountune downpipe on.

I don't know if the mountune downpipe is shorter than stock or other aftermarket downpipes, or if it creates too much heat for the clamp or what. I wouldn't think it would but it could be just a smidge shorter, that would make sense. Unfortunately I don't have a comparison. Also there isn't much pipe off the front of the resonator for the clamp to hold on to.

I still really like the exhaust, I wanted 3" and I love the sound and no drone, otherwise I wouldn't go through the hassle of this.

I would still recommend the exhaust, my case seems rare but that's my life, just be aware you may need to do something more.

In my opinion, Thermal shouldn't even have that clamp there in the first place, it should be one piece from the dp to the resonator. I'm guessing they were trying to save time and money.

I probably could have welded the two together but I like the idea of vband so it will be easy to remove, without having to drop the middle brace and pull it all out. I am planning on an upgraded turbo and it will just be that much easier.

I think I will email thermal again and update them on my issues.
Yeah, I agree. I'd prefer to have a bulb type clamp, like the type that is just before the pipe that goes over the rear torsion beam, or just have the Thermal 3" downpipe adapter and/or the exhaust pipe coming from the resonator be a little longer with a normal flange on it and bolt it together.

OP
DangerMouse

DangerMouse

Thread Starter #60
Just spoke to Chuck @ Thermal....he said to make sure the pipes that meet together are equal lengths into the clamp. He also said that they are working on a Install video for the FiST. He is on vacation till next week....but will contact the manufacturer of the clamp to see if there is an actual torque spec for them all. Also he said that they have shot them all down with impacts and never broken a bolt on them yet. There is no need for a thread locker or sealant on the exhaust. There it is folks...
Straight from Thermal!

Now just awaiting the Torque spec if there is one.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

The pipe off of the resonator is only a couple inches long, it's all the way in as far as it will go, and that's the part that keeps slipping out. The clamp holds the small pipe that connects to the dp. But hey I'm glad they got back to you.

I look forward to the install video, maybe the shop put mine on wrong, but I think it can only go in one way.