Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Things you dislike about your Fiesta ST...

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
With all the things that have been listed.
I am surprised that anyone purchased it at all.

If all things here had been addressed then this thread would have been just as long only with people complaining about the price.

The Fiesta is still just an entry level car.

Dave

I think most of these are just annoyances. Little things that could have made it just a little better. Like the passenger express up/down (programming) and an armrest that works with the Recaro seats. Those of us with the Recaros paid extra for them, why not throw in an extra 50 bucks and give it an armrest to go with them? I have gotten used to it though so I don't complain about it any more (except bringing it up now).

As for the body panels being thin, it's part of it being light. And yes, it's an entry level car.

All in all though, this is a great little car. Like I said, most things are just annoyances, and you get that with any car.

dyn085

2000 Post Club

If all things here had been addressed then this thread would have been just as long only with people complaining about the price.

Dave
It being an entry-level car is basically irrelevant as people are going to have gripes about all cars, regardless of cost. There is no 'perfect vehicle' or everyone would own it.

There are lots of gripes that the cost of the vehicle doesn't explain. Why does my FoST have one-touch down on all four windows when the loaded FiST doesn't? Why is the steering wheel more comfortable? Why doesn't the FiST come with LED's in the interior/license plate?

You can get a ST2 for nearly the identical price (incentives included, which means there's enough leeway on profit), so there should be a relative similarity. Had they not budged on price for the FoST or added similar incentives to the FiST these things would be moot, but they didn't so they aren't.

This isn't a 'what is the reason you're taking a loss by trading your car early in' thread, it's a gripe thread for people to air-out things that are a nuisance. If you don't have gripes that's great, and some gripes can be justified by the 'entry-level' argument, but many people have valid points because some gripes cannot be mitigated with that excuse. If we don't have complaints then there is no reason for Ford to improve the product as is already prefect for everyone.

I had a list of gripes with my Nissan Armada Platinum, and that was a $60k truck. The FiST may be an 'entry-level' platform, but it's still basically currently the top of the pyramid for it (that's semi-debatable though).

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club

Dave
Well I'm sure you know it is human nature to complain. Even if the car was perfect and free we would find issues....[lovest]

antarctica24

I'm in NC as well, and run either Costco or Sheetz gas, premium only. Never had an issue with it pulling timing, only adjustments have been on the positive side. Are you running regular grade?
Yeah, traveling like I do, I use everyones gas including the Costco off of Six Forks, and Sheetz all over the place. It really doesn't matter what gas I put in it, and to be fair, last week, I put my first tank of 93 oct in the car and it did the same thing. I now have 90,000 miles on the car. It is really weird, after you fill it up, when you start the car, the tach starts to drop like the car is going to cut off, then it adjust itself, and it does this a couple of times then settles.

antarctica24

It being an entry-level car is basically irrelevant as people are going to have gripes about all cars, regardless of cost. There is no 'perfect vehicle' or everyone would own it.

There are lots of gripes that the cost of the vehicle doesn't explain. Why does my FoST have one-touch down on all four windows when the loaded FiST doesn't? Why is the steering wheel more comfortable? Why doesn't the FiST come with LED's in the interior/license plate?

You can get a ST2 for nearly the identical price (incentives included, which means there's enough leeway on profit), so there should be a relative similarity. Had they not budged on price for the FoST or added similar incentives to the FiST these things would be moot, but they didn't so they aren't.

This isn't a 'what is the reason you're taking a loss by trading your car early in' thread, it's a gripe thread for people to air-out things that are a nuisance. If you don't have gripes that's great, and some gripes can be justified by the 'entry-level' argument, but many people have valid points because some gripes cannot be mitigated with that excuse. If we don't have complaints then there is no reason for Ford to improve the product as is already prefect for everyone.

I had a list of gripes with my Nissan Armada Platinum, and that was a $60k truck. The FiST may be an 'entry-level' platform, but it's still basically currently the top of the pyramid for it (that's semi-debatable though).
You know its odd about this car, it sits at the top of the bottom of the Ford line, but seems to beat the FoST in ever test and ever car comparison test, it seems to come out on top. I tried to but a FoST, and the dealer tried to get it from another dealer and they sold that out from underneath them. But I had test driven the FoST I cannot say how many times, and always came away thinking its nice but its missing something. I didn't even know the FiST was available. The dealer asked me to come back and drive it and loved it from the moment I took off. It makes the problems with the FoST stand out, like bad visibility, feeling bloated, over crowed interior, I drive a lot, 6000 miles a month and I drive it like I stole it. The problems I listed for the fiesta are not likability problems, they are manufacturing problems. Things that could have been fixed from the factory.

The last car I bought which I thought was perfect without fault was my 2006 Pontiac GTO. I didn't have any complaints about the 2008 Corvette Z06 either. Both of those cars, the GTO more though was perfect in every way a car could be for $30K.

antarctica24

Only on day 3 with the FiST, but I can agree with some of the things in here.

My biggest complaint is how quiet the car is, but that's not really a fault and I can fix that.
The heated seat doesn't seem hot enough.
Visability is ok to me. No serious blind spots, at least theyre better than my brother's GTI.
When syncing my phone with bluetooth a 911 warning always pops up. Maybe I can turn that off though, I haven't looked at the manual.
I wish the shifter was a bit more mechanical feel, but I suppose that's expected in a new car. I'm used to the STI's clicking into place.
The windsheild seems to rock chip easy, I've already got a nice little crack this morning.
The car is adorable.
They have short shift kit for this car which would probably solve that for you. Ditto on the windshield issue.

Yeah, traveling like I do, I use everyones gas including the Costco off of Six Forks, and Sheetz all over the place. It really doesn't matter what gas I put in it, and to be fair, last week, I put my first tank of 93 oct in the car and it did the same thing. I now have 90,000 miles on the car. It is really weird, after you fill it up, when you start the car, the tach starts to drop like the car is going to cut off, then it adjust itself, and it does this a couple of times then settles.
Are you pulling the nozzle out immediately after it fills or do you wait about 5 seconds like the manual states? One of the quirks of the capless system.

antarctica24

Are you pulling the nozzle out immediately after it fills or do you wait about 5 seconds like the manual states? One of the quirks of the capless system.

HOW DARE YOU USE THE MANUAL THING ON ME!@!!!!!!!!!, that's a good thought, I will try that tomorrow. Your right, it being a cap less deal, that may do the trick. I will check it out and post back. Thanks

HOW DARE YOU USE THE MANUAL THING ON ME!@!!!!!!!!!, that's a good thought, I will try that tomorrow. Your right, it being a cap less deal, that may do the trick. I will check it out and post back. Thanks
lol. I've seen this issue with people stalling after a fill up with both the FiST and FoST. It happened to me once when I forgot to wait. It's ironic that it's suppose to be convenient but it makes you wait for about the same amount of time (probably less) to put a cap on and off. I suppose there would be no cap to lose, but most modern cars have the cap tethered to the fuel door.

dyn085

2000 Post Club
You know its odd about this car, it sits at the top of the bottom of the Ford line, but seems to beat the FoST in ever test and ever car comparison test, it seems to come out on top. I tried to but a FoST, and the dealer tried to get it from another dealer and they sold that out from underneath them. But I had test driven the FoST I cannot say how many times, and always came away thinking its nice but its missing something. I didn't even know the FiST was available. The dealer asked me to come back and drive it and loved it from the moment I took off. It makes the problems with the FoST stand out, like bad visibility, feeling bloated, over crowed interior, I drive a lot, 6000 miles a month and I drive it like I stole it. The problems I listed for the fiesta are not likability problems, they are manufacturing problems. Things that could have been fixed from the factory.

The last car I bought which I thought was perfect without fault was my 2006 Pontiac GTO. I didn't have any complaints about the 2008 Corvette Z06 either. Both of those cars, the GTO more though was perfect in every way a car could be for $30K.
I'm not sure what comparison tests you're speaking about, but the only performance aspects that the FiST beats the FoST in is braking and mpg's. Outside of that, the FoST is most always on top and when it's not it's generally due to drive error. Strictly speaking in measurable performance specifications, not driver preference, of which a year prior the FoST was reaping the same praise.

I had to go back to your other post to understand what your complaints are, and I don't necessarily agree with them. That doesn't mean that you're wrong, just that you value different things than I do in a car.

1. I love the brakes, but I don't drive hard very often nor do I put a lot of miles on. I will have had my car a year next month and I'm not even (but almost) at 10k miles. If I drive more miles harder, frequent changes would probably bother me but I don't so they don't. By your schedule I'm only looking at doing brakes every 2-2.5 years-and that's not an inconvenience to me in the slightest.

I don't like the dusting though, but that's a trade-off for the performance.

2. I've had almost zero problems with sync. Nothing big enough to stick in my mind, anyways. I think my screen blacked-out once.

3. Because I don't use Sync often, this also doesn't make my gripe list.

4. Unless you have an AP3 you have no way of knowing that this is actually occurring and it most likely isn't. You'll argue it but won't be able to prove it without datalogs to substantiate. A drop in rpm does not indicate massive amounts of timing change. As stated, this is a known issue with the capless system.

My whole point of addressing that list brings me to your GTO and Z06-just because you personally didn't have gripes doesn't mean that no one else did, nor does it make the FiST any more problematic. All it really means is that you had two cars that fit you and your personality well and that the FiST doesn't. I have not owned a single vehicle that I haven't had some form of complaint over and I likely never will. That's just me and I'm a bit hyper-critical.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Biggest issue, MYStink no back up camera//////

Other than that, much less important stuff except it is a gateway to more and more mod addiction, 12 months, 2k miles, mostly apart getting more, mods.....

antarctica24

I'm not sure what comparison tests you're speaking about, but the only performance aspects that the FiST beats the FoST in is braking and mpg's. Outside of that, the FoST is most always on top and when it's not it's generally due to drive error. Strictly speaking in measurable performance specifications, not driver preference, of which a year prior the FoST was reaping the same praise.

I had to go back to your other post to understand what your complaints are, and I don't necessarily agree with them. That doesn't mean that you're wrong, just that you value different things than I do in a car.

1. I love the brakes, but I don't drive hard very often nor do I put a lot of miles on. I will have had my car a year next month and I'm not even (but almost) at 10k miles. If I drive more miles harder, frequent changes would probably bother me but I don't so they don't. By your schedule I'm only looking at doing brakes every 2-2.5 years-and that's not an inconvenience to me in the slightest.

I don't like the dusting though, but that's a trade-off for the performance.

2. I've had almost zero problems with sync. Nothing big enough to stick in my mind, anyways. I think my screen blacked-out once.

3. Because I don't use Sync often, this also doesn't make my gripe list.

4. Unless you have an AP3 you have no way of knowing that this is actually occurring and it most likely isn't. You'll argue it but won't be able to prove it without datalogs to substantiate. A drop in rpm does not indicate massive amounts of timing change. As stated, this is a known issue with the capless system.

My whole point of addressing that list brings me to your GTO and Z06-just because you personally didn't have gripes doesn't mean that no one else did, nor does it make the FiST any more problematic. All it really means is that you had two cars that fit you and your personality well and that the FiST doesn't. I have not owned a single vehicle that I haven't had some form of complaint over and I likely never will. That's just me and I'm a bit hyper-critical.
All good points, let me expand on them just a little bit.

As for the timing and the gas, your right, I don't know that it is making timing corrections, but it only does it when I fill up and the tach and motor seem like they don't like something and are trying to correct for it by raising and lowering the rpm. I have a lot of experience with HP tuners and tuning GM cars, it seems like they are timing adjustments but without the AP3 or some other device to monitor it, I have no way to know for sure.

As for Sync, Sync is awesome when it works. It is by far the best voice command system I have ever used, when it works. When Sync was invented, the programmers concluded that a person gets in the car, gets out of the car, gets back in the car, gets out of the car and goes inside the house. Typical average worker. What the system is doing is when you get in the car, whether you have your ipod or iphone connected or not, when you turn the car on and connect it, the system reads the index from the device and indexes in the ford sync system. The system only has so much memory to deal with. What the programmer should have done is either checked to see if the device was still plugged in, or whether it was a ipod or iphone. Why? Because you cannot add songs to an ipod unless it is disconnected and plugged into a computer. Thus the programmers could have looked at the size of the index, compared it to the last index and seen that nothing had changed and left it alone. The same could have been done for the iphone, but you can add songs to the iphone online, but the index still could have been checked. Instead, the programmers decided to reload the index each time, and not wipe the previous index. If you only get in your car, every so often and only have 1000 songs on your device there is 50MB of storage there for the memory, so it would take some time to fill it up. Imagine you have 7500 songs, all recorded at 256K or better. And the car is being cut off and cut on on average 10-15 times per day. That means every time the car is cut on, it reloads that index. (I know because it says it is). It only takes 3-4 days and the whole sync thing stops to function and you have to do a hard reset. If I was just getting in the car 2 times a day, it would not be a big deal. That is not a flaw. It is a programming problem that could be fixed.

The brakes. Ok, so prior to having the st, when I started this job I bought a brand new 2012 Ford Focus SEF. I loved that car for this job. It was perfect. That was the fuel efficient one. Steel wheels with covers. My Sync. Not the touch thing. Anyway Tires and brakes were changed every 50,000. This is when the pad got to the metal. But when you took them off, like any normal braking system, the inside pads were worn exactly like the outside pads. Dead Even. The car was totaled at 115,000 and I was severely and permanently injured.

I opted for the FiST because of the story I shared earlier. I think it was like 30, or 35000 miles the brakes were gone. But when we took them off, the inside pad was down to the metal and the outside pad looked near new. When the deal informed me pads were not available, and Orileys had the wrong pads listed for the ST, I found a set online, so I bought a new set of rotors (which I change out every time I change brakes, because I want the same braking capability every time), and a new set of pads off of amazon. They were the ford pads. Now, spirited driving or not on a 2400lb car, 35,000 miles on a set of brakes is a joke. ST or Not. The summer tires outlasted the brakes.

Remember I am driving 6000 miles a month, rush, stop and go, all day.

The second set did exactly the same thing. I called Ford, and we talked about it, and they put me in touch with an engineer. We talked about it. They examined my car, and said they didn't see anything wrong with it. It is not natural for brakes to not wear evenly. Not even on a race car.

As for the GTO, it will always be my favorite, and such a undiscovered vehicle. This is a car that made 400hp and 400 TQ, and had a $12,000 interior from GM, the most expensive interior you could get in a GM car, Cadillac included. I drove this car across country and when I got to Flaggstaff from there to Phoenix, I was able to drive this thing at 130 plus for over an hour. It did everything I asked it to do and nothing more. The car was very predictable and comfortable for all 2500 miles.

The vette was a different animal. The vette is and will always be a world class wanna be. Until GM sticks that motor in the back they can just keep on wishing. With that said, There is something to be said about 500hp in a 2100 lb car. It was unbelievable to drive. In the rain, you could not drive the car over 45 due to the wide tires. The car liked to walk something terrible. The seats were cheap, the interior was cheap. But people don't buy Corvettes for the seats and interior. They buy Corvettes for the heritage, the name, looks of the body and whats under the hood. Today's Corvette is much different. They are getting close to being world class with the new Stingray Z06. 2017 should show us a rear engine corvette, but we will have to wait and see.

As for how do I feel about the Fiesta ST. I love the car. It is the best 4 cylinder I have ever driven. PERIOD.

PhoenixM3

Jeez. See if Steve Powell at TASCA can help you. That seems absurd.

Oh, and my only complaint about this car is really having to do with not being able to get my wife to ride in it. She HATES that this car does not have a high grab handle to snag when we're cornering. I would hate that too as a passenger. She also does not fit well into the Recaro seat. She is NOT big, but she does have womanly hips. We'll see if we can find some kind of foam bolster she can sit on to reduce her discomfort.

Oh, and the lack of a rear-view camera from the factory. That's annoying with such a small rear window.

Really didn't know that the car didn't come with an "oh shit" handle for the front passenger....

I'm sure its been aired out in here already, but I really dislike the fact that Ford chose to go the quiet exhaust/sound symposer route on this car. I don't understand why they wouldn't have taken the time spent tuning an exhaust system to be quiet, and used it to make a note the worthy of a performance model.