Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Thinking About Going Back to Stock Exhaust

SrsBsns

I've been thinking, for a while now, about going back to the stock exhaust.

The previous owner installed an MBRP exhaust and I really like it most of the time, but I'm so tired of the drone. I feel like I need earplugs, and that's a lot coming from me because I normally have a pretty high tolerance for this kind of stuff.

I don't really want to go back to stock since I do like having an nice exhaust note and I'm worried that I'm going to lose all sound with the stocker.

Before I go back to stock, is there anything that I could do to the MBRP to help to eliminate the drone?

If I do go back, would a muffler delete/resonator delete/both put me back in the same boat?

I have a centre resonator delete and it's great sounds amazing, burbles now and then but it doesn't drone. Back box deletes are too loud IMO

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Everyone is a bit different, but I don’t think that the Ecoboost 4 cylinders engines sound particularly good especially once uncorked. That said I also felt the stock exhaust made it a little too pedestrian. I agree resonator delete is the best bet for not a lot of money. It’s still quiet, just more growl-y, and I can occasionally get a single back fire on aggressive rev matched downshifts which I also count as a positive since most crackle tunes make it sound stupidly obnoxious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fiestig

Is there any reason you don't want to simply do some sound deadening? I sound deadened mine quite extensively. There is still a bit of drone but nothing compared to what it was previously. MAPerformace 2.5"

Ideally you would want to do some simple deadening under the headliner as well. That would cut the drone quite a bit more.

20190225_143617.jpg

Se7eN

The previous owner installed an MBRP exhaust and I really like it most of the time, but I'm so tired of the drone. I feel like I need earplugs, and that's a lot coming from me because I normally have a pretty high tolerance for this kind of stuff.

I don't really want to go back to stock since I do like having an nice exhaust note and I'm worried that I'm going to lose all sound with the stocker.

Before I go back to stock, is there anything that I could do to the MBRP to help to eliminate the drone?

If I do go back, would a muffler delete/resonator delete/both put me back in the same boat?
My plan in the future with the MBRP is adding a Ultraquiet resonator from Vibrant. Either changing the one it comes with or adding to it I don't know yet cause space is limited.

Se7eN

Is there any reason you don't want to simply do some sound deadening? I sound deadened mine quite extensively. There is still a bit of drone but nothing compared to what it was previously. MAPerformace 2.5"

Ideally you would want to do some simple deadening under the headliner as well. That would cut the drone quite a bit more.

View attachment 33733
Only small drawback is that you're adding a little bit of weight. some sound deadeners are thicker and heavier than others. But it might be maybe 15lbs total?

Fiestig

Only about 4-5lbs worth max for the entire car if you use the closed cell foam type which is great for absorption.

Butyl on the other hand is quite heavy

OP
SrsBsns

SrsBsns

Thread Starter #8

I actually do have some sound deadening. PO took the door panels off and installed it there, as well as in the hatch, like in your picture. The drone at 80mph (2.5K-4K rpm) is still pretty gnarly at times. That said, I haven't really examined how far the deadening goes, so maybe I just need to add some in the right places.

OP
SrsBsns

SrsBsns

Thread Starter #9
Everyone is a bit different, but I don’t think that the Ecoboost 4 cylinders engines sound particularly good especially once uncorked. That said I also felt the stock exhaust made it a little too pedestrian. I agree resonator delete is the best bet for not a lot of money. It’s still quiet, just more growl-y, and I can occasionally get a single back fire on aggressive rev matched downshifts which I also count as a positive since most crackle tunes make it sound stupidly obnoxious.

Yeah, I'm not crazy about the super loud exhausts on the FiST. It doesn't sound bad, but I think I would like a better compromise. Do you have any sound clips of your car with the resonator delete?

Fiestig

I actually do have some sound deadening. PO took the door panels off and installed it there, as well as in the hatch, like in your picture. The drone at 80mph (2.5K-4K rpm) is still pretty gnarly at times. That said, I haven't really examined how far the deadening goes, so maybe I just need to add some in the right places.
I actually have a second layer of closed cell in the hatch area. That made quite a difference. With the seats in it is quite quiet. I drive around with typically just drivers seat only and it is not as bad as undeadened stock with seats in.

MBRP's is one of the loudest options from what I've heard (which isn't shocking given it's just a single resonator at the downpipe). You don't have to go all the way back to stock to get rid of drone. I think Cobb's exhaust is the best "no drone" with a good, deep sound that isn't too obnoxious. I'm currently running the Thermal R&D which gets fairly loud under power, but quiets down a lot when off throttle.

Though the cheapest option would probably be to get an exhaust shop to modify the MBRP by adding another resonator, or a muffler if you want to quiet it down even further.

RubenZZZ

1000 Post Club
What about adding a glass pack where the resonator is? Or a magnaflow bullet muffler instead of the resonator?

What about adding a glass pack where the resonator is? Or a magnaflow bullet muffler instead of the resonator?

MBRP's resonator is right behind the downpipe, which isn't a great place to put a muffler.

Se7eN

I used to have a 2.5"exaust made with a Magnaflow Bullet, was almost just as loud as the MBRP which is much bigger. Added a Vibrant Ultra Quiet at the back and it worked wonders. with the MBRP long exhaust tips there is barely any space back there.

PunkST

2000 Post Club
Are you on poly hangers?

My best combo seems to be the greddy catback, factory cat, and factory hangers. The cobb ones ate way too stiff and transmit a lot of vibration right into the chassis playing it like a drum.

Best bet is to add a muffler or resonator like other have said. Ed Hansen's in Spring Valley is the place to go if you can get there. He's not open Saturdays unfortunately

I'm very happy with my Thermal. Worth every penny if you're willing to spend the $$. I switched to it from my Flowmaster and it made the car much more enjoyable. And the Flowmaster didn't even drone, it was just kind of loud.

Erick_V

I knew there was a thread about fixing the MBRP drone, I finally found it. @Clint Beastwood has a thread where he added a helmholtz resonator and it seems to have helped. Cost of doing the Vibrant Res and Helmholtz is where I'm torn. I couldn't put the stock exhaust on after having the MBRP, the lack of noise would drive me insane lol

Mentioned thread: https://www.fiestastforum.com/threads/im-at-it-again-fixing-drone-on-a-brand-new-mbrp.20873/

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club