Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Throttle Hold Between Shifts?

iso100

1000 Post Club
Is it just me or does the ECU seem to hold the throttle open a bit after removing your foot from the throttle in between shifts?

I would expect the RPM to drop faster than it does and in some cases during spirited driving it catches my by surprise by leaving me with MORE revs than before I started the shift. This has caused problems going into 3rd gear when really winding it out I'm assuming because the synchros just couldn't get the intermediate shaft slowed down for the gears to engage since the RPMs were so far off.

Is this just me? I've seen it with my own eyes when shifting once I started suspecting something. I'll remove my foot from the throttle and depress the clutch a fraction of a second after, yet the RPMs climb ever so slightly anyway.

Perhaps this is an emissions thing?

Colin1337

1000 Post Club
This is a covered issue, search around a bit. Its because or 2 things, the dual mass flywheel, and the tune.

OP
I

iso100

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #3
Not quite sure what to search for but I'll give it a try.

Dual mass flywheel doesn't make a ton of sense. Tune does, but I'm running COBB v102. You'd figure they'd remove that...

OP
I

iso100

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #4
Searched around... can't find any relevant threads. Oh well...

OP
I

iso100

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #6
This is a covered issue, search around a bit. Its because or 2 things, the dual mass flywheel, and the tune.
Actually, I was mistaking this for a vibration dampener. I can see how a dual mass flywheel could do some of this. Thx.

This throttle hanging or lag is my only real criticism of the FiST. It would be great if Cobb offered a tune version eliminating or minimizing this.

OP
I

iso100

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #9
It would make sense but only if you're shifting in super slow motion...

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
COBB calls it Shift assist or maybe Ford calls it that but here are the notes on part of it
Shift Assist Time Active Max. (Clutch In)

This table represents the minimum amount of time the Shift Assist (also known as Rev-Hang) feature is engaged when the clutch is depressed and the target RPM is achieved. From the factory this feature can cause issues with shifting as it can cause the engine speed to remain static between shifts.
Shift Assist Time Active Min. (Clutch In)

This table represents the maximum amount of time the Shift Assist (also known as Rev-Hang) feature is allowed to stay active once it has breached the Shift Assist Time Active Min. threshold and the accelerator pedal is not pressed. From the factory this feature can cause issues with shifting as it can cause the engine speed to remain static between shifts.

OP
I

iso100

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #12
That's it! I want it dead!! It has caused me to miss multiple 2-3 shifts before.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Every other car that had this was for reducing emissions not for shifting improvement and I did not like it, ever.

OP
I

iso100

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #14
Know what? I uninstalled the AccessPORT this afternoon because I have a service appointment tomorrow morning and I noticed that it wasn't holding revs between shifts.

I wonder if there's something in Cobb's tune that's doing this.

Can one of you guys uninstall and give it a test? Might be worth mentioning to Cobb.

OP
I

iso100

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #15
Drove it to the dealer today and while I can tell there's a lot less torque I can also tell there's negligible rpm hold between shifts with the stock program.

OP
I

iso100

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #16
Can anyone else confirm my findings above?

When I initially test drove the car this "shift assist" was present; enough so that I commented to the salesman about it. I emailed Cobb about eliminating this action, and their reply stated that they have diminished it somewhat but eliminating it was difficult because throttle hold is enabled throughout the ECU programming.

COBB calls it Shift assist or maybe Ford calls it that but here are the notes on part of it
I know this is old but thanks for digging this up. My 2015 is still pretty stock and as I am researching my upgrades I notice Mountune's flash allows you to select "delete shift assist".
However I had not noticed any issue with revs hanging except it seems I have to blip harder than average to heel and toe downshift. But a rev hang feature might help explain this. [idea]

When I initially test drove the car this "shift assist" was present; enough so that I commented to the salesman about it. I emailed Cobb about eliminating this action, and their reply stated that they have diminished it somewhat but eliminating it was difficult because throttle hold is enabled throughout the ECU programming.
Bingo! It's merely due to the "drive by wire" electronics...no mechanical linkage from pedal to throttle body.