Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Time for tires again

Wanted to gauge the community and see if anyone has suggestions, I'll be replacing my tires in the next 5-8 months and I like to plan waaaaay in advance since tires are arguably the most important performance component of a car. Unless I walk into a sudden windfall of cash, I'll remain on the OE rims so I'll be looking for recommendations at either 205 series or 215 section width rubber. My commute has changed substantially, and I spend more than a few hours per week on the interstate but would still prefer summer tires since I can get away with them... for the most part (I may have taken my car to yosemite earlier this year and my Kumho Ecsta PS31s may have driven through snowfall asnd temps may have been in the mid 30s).

Anyways, when I bought the car it was on a well-worn set of Michelin Pilot Sport AS 3+s and I didn't have a problem with them until I put the Kumhos on. I now firmly believe that they were garbage. I've taken an ancillary look at tirerack (I swear the list of available tires is about half as long now compared to 2 years ago) but didn't really see anything that stood out to me unless I decide to go with the Kumhos again.

Last edited:

CSM

1000 Post Club
Falkien 615k+ in a 215/40r17 is now what I am running. I Run stock wheel still also. Came from Firestone Indy 500s and i think the Falkiens are a step up and forward.
This is what I would get. $140 a tire too so fairly inexpensive. They wear like iron and unless you're going for a class win at autocross Nationals, you'll be happy with the grip levels. A great all around summer tire.

If you want an A/S, the pilot sport all season 4 retains a decent steering feel while having some light snow capabilities (I have them on my FRS)

CSM

1000 Post Club
Well that's less than ideal - they're excellent. Far nicer than the Bridgestones it came with.

View attachment 45203
You're talking about two different tires.

Your original post says Michelin PS4 which is a summer tire. We do not get this tire in 205/40/17 in the US.

Your screenshot is for Michelin Pilot All Season 4s, which we do get in 205/40/17 in the US. I have these on my FRS and they are fantastic for what they are intended to do (sporty tire you can drive year round and even in light snow)

I'm still amazed at the price, you might get good price for fuel but you get dry humped on tyres!!! I think I pay about Ā£100 a tyre or $130. I'd wonder what the real difference between the two are - my PS4 are good in anything but snow and I only fit 15s and winters so I've got rubber to bounce off kerbs, not rims.

Edit. And we don't get the Pilot Sport all season 4.

If I couldn't get what I've got I'd head for Uniroyal Rainsport 5 I think. UK climate is more damp than hot and sunny.

Always found the RE050A to be snappy in the cold. Good when warmed up but they seemed to eat themselves after that. The last set I had managed under 15k and they were shot.

Last edited:

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
When I go to Tire Rack and filter for summer performance tires in the OEM size, only five tires come up. The selection is pretty bad. My first choice would be the OEM Bridgestone Potenza RE050A which came on my car, but despite Tire Rack telling me last spring that they were coming out with a new model of these, that doesn't seem to be happening, so they are unavailable. I currently have the Firestone Firehawk Indy 500, and they are okay, but give up too much of the quick handling for me.I'm leery of the two summer Extreme Performance tires, because I run my tires in the colder weather (not in snow) and fear they would be undrivable. The Firehawks and Potenzas have been fine in that situation, I just go easy.

That leaves the new Yokohama Advan Fleva V701, which is the successor to the S.Drive. I had the S.Drive on another car and it was surprisingly good. Has anyone tried this new Yokohama V701? The main thing I'm looking for is quick turn in, good crisp handling.
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Yokohama&tireModel=ADVAN+Fleva+V701&partnum=04WR7V701XL&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes&autoMake=Ford&autoYear=2016&autoModel=Fiesta ST&autoModClar=

Last edited:

CSM

1000 Post Club
When I go to Tire Rack and filter for summer performance tires in the OEM size, only five tires come up. The selection is pretty bad. My first choice would be the OEM Bridgestone Potenza RE050A, but despite Tire Rack telling me they were coming out with a new model of these, that doesn't seem to be happening. I currently have the Firestone Firehawk Indy 500, and they are okay, but give up too much of the quick handling for me.I'm leery of the two summer Extreme Performance tires, because I run my tires in the colder weather (not in snow) and fear they would be undrivable. The Firehawks and Potenzas have been fine in that situation, I just go easy.

That leaves the new Yokohama Advan Fleva V701, which is the successor to the S.Drive. I had the S.Drive on another car and it was surprisingly good. Has anyone tried this new Yokohama V701? The main thing I'm looking for is quick turn in, good crisp handling.
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Yokohama&tireModel=ADVAN+Fleva+V701&partnum=04WR7V701XL&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes&autoMake=Ford&autoYear=2016&autoModel=Fiesta ST&autoModClar=
RT660, ZIII, RE71R, basically any of the top notch 200TW extreme performance tires get fairly sketch if you drive in near freezing temps. Braking, grip, everything fades and you also run the risk of "chunking" the tires (where pieces fly off in chunks due to stress while cold)

Dpro

6000 Post Club
When I go to Tire Rack and filter for summer performance tires in the OEM size, only five tires come up. The selection is pretty bad. My first choice would be the OEM Bridgestone Potenza RE050A which came on my car, but despite Tire Rack telling me last spring that they were coming out with a new model of these, that doesn't seem to be happening, so they are unavailable. I currently have the Firestone Firehawk Indy 500, and they are okay, but give up too much of the quick handling for me.I'm leery of the two summer Extreme Performance tires, because I run my tires in the colder weather (not in snow) and fear they would be undrivable. The Firehawks and Potenzas have been fine in that situation, I just go easy.

I was actually eyeballing the Fleva last night. There are a lot of good reviews. I know a friend who had S drives and loved them. I am looking at something in 16 for my Dekagrams.
Still like my RT660ā€™s on the Titans but really prefer flow formed wheels over cast for the sake of rim life and weight.

CSM

1000 Post Club
I was actually eyeballing the Fleva last night. There are a lot of good reviews. I know a friend who had S drives and loved them. I am looking at something in 16 for my Dekagrams.
Still like my RT660ā€™s on the Titans but really prefer flow formed wheels over cast for the sake of rim life and weight.
Rota Titans are flow formed construction

I have the Fleva, came with the car from PO. Size 205/45/17 - I had my orig fist with the bridgestones in 2016 and from what I recall had better turn in that these Flevas. Otherwise I cant complain - they hook up well when temps > 70 degrees.

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
I have the Fleva, came with the car from PO. Size 205/45/17 - I had my orig fist with the bridgestones in 2016 and from what I recall had better turn in that these Flevas. Otherwise I cant complain - they hook up well when temps > 70 degrees.
Did your original FIST with the Bridgestones have them in 205/40/17? If so, that could explain some of the difference in turn in, if not then it confirms what I was suspecting that the OEM Bridgestone Potenza RE050As are the best for quick turn in.

For the OP, the Firestone Firehawk Indy 500s are a good tire which is available in the OEM 205 size, and ultimate grip is quite good. They just don't meet what I want as far as the quickness of the handling.

Last edited:

CarGuy

1000 Post Club
Did your original FIST with the Bridgestones have them in 205 / 40 / 17? If so, that could explain some of the difference in turn in, if not then it confirms what I was suspecting that the OEM Bridgestone Potenza RE050As are the best for quick turn in.

For the OP, the Firestone Firehawk Indy 500s are a good tire which is available in the OEM 205 size, and ultimate grip is quite good. They just don't meet what I want as far as the quickness of the handling.
Made by the same company as Bridgestone owns Firestone.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Falkien 615k+ in a 215/40r17 is now what I am running. I Run stock wheel still also. Came from Firestone Indy 500s and i think the Falkiens are a step up and forward.
Did the falken's help with straight line traction? After my most recent purchase of the monster adaptx tune, first and second gear are pretty much useless on stock sized indy 500's now on a cool-to-cold day. They just break traction and spin, no squealing, just the hissing of melting tires, both sides, if I try to go WOT in first or second, then a solid bark into third. I feel like the car would be a rocket if it would hook up but I don't even bother launching off the line anymore, I just drive like an old lady until third gear and then give it some gas to have fun and be an idiot. On a really hot (100f) day the car feels like it's faster because it pulls power and doesn't spin lol.