Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Timing Reset Issue

Hello,
I’m doing a timing reset on my 2019 Fiesta ST after letting the cams move while installing a new water pump. When I align the cam sprockets and use the locking tool to hold them in place, I can’t insert the flat cam setting bar in the slot at the rear of the intake cam. How do I adjust the cam to get the slots at the rear horizontal so the bar fits? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
-Bob
IMG_3965.jpeg

Last edited:
isn't there a flat on the cam for a hex wrench to move/adjust it? i've seen a couple you tube vids where this had to be hammered in, but they were less off than yours.

OP
B
Thread Starter #3
Yes, there is a space to put a 21mm wrench on the cams. I tried adjusting them with a wrench, but they didn’t move. Are you saying that in the videos people actually hammered on their wrench to move the cams? I thought about using a cheater bar, or hammering my wrench but was reluctant to use that much force.

Do you have the timing sprockets on both cams free or locked down. As I understand it a Timing Reset requires locking the crankshaft at TDC and both cams into the reset position. Which means that both sprockets need to be free to rotate. Not ever actually doing this procedure I may be wrong on some points but when I First purchased my 2019 I got the Helms service manual and spent some time reading up on replacing the timing belt.

Yes, there is a space to put a 21mm wrench on the cams. I tried adjusting them with a wrench, but they didn’t move. Are you saying that in the videos people actually hammered on their wrench to move the cams? I thought about using a cheater bar, or hammering my wrench but was reluctant to use that much force.
pull the plugs, make sure the other end of the cams are free (not locked with the butterfly-looking holder) and you should be able to move the cam. don't force it. i referred to that flat bar being tapped into place with a hammer in a video i watched on this process. sorry if that was confusing.

Ford Community Posts