Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Tire Noise (help!)

HBEcoBeaST

That is my secondary thought. The fact that the sound went away for a few weeks after rotating made me thing it might not be a bearing or CV, however.
Bearings usually go a little at a time and can be louder on some days than others. If the noise is consistent it's most certainly a wheel bearing. Oscillating noise would be a tire issue. If there aren't any obvious defects on the tire I'd put my money on a wheel bearing.

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
Some tires develop wear patterns in them extremely fast and this can make a noise. If in fact your alignment is out it could develop a pattern.
If it truly took a few weeks for that sound to come back the exact same sound, you probably are putting a pattern in the tire.

I don't believe it's a wheel bearing. My experience with wheel bearings going bad is a very rough grind sound.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Online resellers often have service agreements with tire chains (that may be local) for warranty service. I think you've pretty well established that it isn't a tire. But at some point you do have one fail, reach out to the online reseller.

I am getting the same exact noise right now on stock tires and rims. Another member posted years ago and said they resolved by cleaning and torquing front suspension and brakes. I am thinking it might be my wheel bearing as there is no noise when taking load off my front wheel.

Edit: here is the thread with similar noise.
Wheel Noise? Help Diagnose this Noise Please! Video includedhttps://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/to...&share_tid=6204&share_fid=74193&share_type=t

Last edited:

HBEcoBeaST

Did anyone ever figure out the solution? My car is in the shop right now for them to diagnose what I believe is a wheel bearing noise. It's more of a clicking noise only in a straight line at speed.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
I can't quite hear it clearly in that video, but I do hear some sort of rotational noise.

Mine started making a rotational noise shortly after getting it back from the dealer. (unnecessarily replaced axle shafts in order to address a problem with the dual mass flywheel) Replaced the front pads a couple of weeks ago and it still does it. It sounds a lot like the "squeak" tab on pads, but that apparantly wasn't it. They didn't do an alignment after the (unnecessary) work. The brake pad doesn't wear the entire surface of the rotor, so it leaves a "lip" on the outer edges. I believe that lip on the passenger side rotor is making contact with the caliper. As mentioned above, retorquing every the dealer took apart and realigning it, would probably address it.

Last edited:

HBEcoBeaST

What was the verdict from the dealership?
They tried to sell me on a new wheel bearing but couldn't guarantee it would fix the problem. After a little spirited driving I noticed the sound changed a little bit during braking. Turns out I had a tiny piece of gravel on the edge of one of my pads. Used pliers to remove and no more noise