Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Tire Sensor Training - Need info and help

Yesterday I replaced my tires for a 16" rim with taller tires... Did the swap and went on to train the sensors, I followed the instructions on the thread on how to train the sensors... did it three times and I was unsuccessful. Because the temperatures were around 100F I gave up and left it for today. Today, I went to pick up something before heading to work and noticed that the tire light is not on... It seems like the sensors in the tires that I bought are already synced to my car... Maybe that last sentence doesn't make sense; in either case:

Do I just leave it alone?
Do I need to do something prior to training the sensors?
Are FORD sensors interchangeable between Fiestas or other Fords? - I understand my tires came from a Fiesta and the sensors are installed...

Any comments or help will be appreciated - Thanks!

Here are the wheels and tires I installed:

I simply took the stock tire and mounted the new tires:

Tried to train the sensors and couldn't do it (it didn't even let me train the first tire when I got the car in training mode and horn sounded twice at the end of each attempt).

Harvick

1000 Post Club
What sensors did you get? Did you get the TPMS19?

OP
K
Thread Starter #3
What sensors did you get? Did you get the TPMS19?
Can you repeat the question sir?
Truth is I don't know, all I know is that they were previously on a Fiesta and that the tires are in decent shape. Since the set WAS on a Fiesta I assume Ford Sensors or Ford compatible Sensors... all assumption.

Sorry... Yes, I used the TPMS19 to attempt training.

Thanks!

rooSTer

1000 Post Club
Try this method to see if it works...its from the Focus forum.

1) Make sure your tires are inflated to the recommended psi.

2) Push the start button without starting the engine.

3) Push the hazard light button 6 times. The horn should honk.

4) Release air pressure in the front left tire until you hear the horn honk.

5) Release air pressure in the right front tire until you hear the horn honk.

6) Repeat for the right rear tire, and then the left rear tire.

7) Fill your tires back up to the recommended pressure.

Harvick

1000 Post Club
Can you repeat the question sir?
Truth is I don't know, all I know is that they were previously on a Fiesta and that the tires are in decent shape. Since the set WAS on a Fiesta I assume Ford Sensors or Ford compatible Sensors... all assumption.

Sorry... Yes, I used the TPMS19 to attempt training.

Thanks!
Take a look at this thread, maybe you are doing it too slow.
http://www.fiestastforum.com/forum/threads/619-Little-help-with-TPMS-trigger-device-please

OP
K
Thread Starter #7
Hahaha! Thanks for sharing the thread, it describes in detail what I am going through.

I did get the car in sensor training mode and the screen asked for training the front left tire, I took the tool and tried three different times without success... I can think of:
1. The warning message needs to be triggered
2. The trained sensors (wheels I replaced) are near by and too close to allow the car to recognize new sensors
3. Too slow (although I did hurry in the second and third attempt)

I will report as soon as I get my sensor situation sorted out. I do think that the process is a little more convoluted that it needs to be.

I work the rest of the day today so this will be taken care of tomorrow.

Cheers!

OP
K
Thread Starter #8
So, after a few tries I might be doing it too slow because I can't get the wheels to train. I get the car in training mode then run to the first tire, press the button on the training tool and placing it against the tire where the valve is at (as directed), nothing happens and it just seems to exit the training mode. It honks twice when I press the ignition button again.

I will take it to the dealer this week to get the wheels train and report what they said. Meanwhile, thanks for the help.

Cheers!

1. The warning message needs to be triggered
2. The trained sensors (wheels I replaced) are near by and too close to allow the car to recognize new sensors
3. Too slow (although I did hurry in the second and third attempt)...

I will take it to the dealer this week to get the wheels train and report what they said. Meanwhile, thanks for the help.

Cheers!
Hi there!

Be sure to update us once you're back from the dealer. In case you need it, information about the Tire Pressure Monitoring System can be found in your Owner Guide on pages 226-230. It mentions "This device must accept any interference received, including interference that may cause undesired operation" so there's a chance your other wheels are too close. Let your dealer know you have the other tires; they'll be able to decide if they can rule that out. :)

Meagan

When I swapped back from winters to the stockers it took a couple days of driving for the system to let me retrain. When I went from stockers to winters I did it without ever moving the car. I just assumed they had some low power hibernation mode or something that activated when they were sitting in the garage.

OP
K
Thread Starter #11
So I went to the dealer to get the sensors trained and... no sensors! The tires didn't have the sensors installed. No wonder the sensors didn't train when in training mode... yeap, you don't need to say it...
So I ordered a set of sensors. Meanwhile I took the rims apart for a coat of paint and I started with some black, then added some blue and red pearl and ended up with this:

I then cleaned that and went ahead with black, some metallic, more black, then some clear, some blue and little bit of red pearl, more clear, more clear and ended up with this:

In some angles they look metallic, in other angles they look black, and then if you catch light just right they look blue... For now that will do, my hands hurt to start from scratch. I will post pictures when the sensors get here and the tires get mounted.

OP
K
Thread Starter #12
So here is the ending of this thread... The rims did not have the sensors installed, I got the sensors, got the tires installed, and THE SENSORS trained!

:)

Thanks to all that helped.

EDIT: I just followed the instruction in the sticky thread...

Glad it all worked out, that's a sharp paint job on those wheels by the way. Have any pics of them installed?

Harvick

1000 Post Club
Great looking, funny how almost any wheel will look good on the Fiesta ST even stock Fiesta ones haha.