Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Tire time suggestions please 304whp car

Well some of us live in a climate where the temperature is between 20 - 50f for 9 months of the year with rain at least half of those days but rarely any snow. (Seattle area) Will a Summer work well? Only for a couple months. Will a winter work? Only if you want shit handling for 9+ months. Not why I bought a fist. All Season UHP is pretty much what we're stuck with.
I mean in San Jose in the winter temps will get down to 30ish F at night and up to 50-60 during the day, I run a single set of summer tires. Most manufacturers recommend temperatures above 45 for summer tires. I’m not personally recommending that you drive them below that but you do realize that the grip isn’t going to be significantly less at 44 degrees, or even 40. There’s a bit of play in those numbers and while you will see diminishing grip, I think once you get heat into the tire it’ll be less of an issue than you believe it will be especially if your day time temps are closer to 40 than 20. Corporations don’t want to invite lawsuits, so the layman inside me believes that those are conservative numbers. Just my thoughts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Brianmc27

In short, they have more grip than on would expect but they lack sidewall stiffness. That lack of sidewall stiffness is pronounced enough that it does affect turn-in. It's like having 15s or riding on a taller tire. I like them, but I would prefer a stiffer sidewall. If you're on a tight budget, or plan on blowing through tires, these are definitely worth picking up.
I have ST-1s. Every word Hijinx said is spot on.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I mean in San Jose in the winter temps will get down to 30ish F at night and up to 50-60 during the day, I run a single set of summer tires. Most manufacturers recommend temperatures above 45 for summer tires. I’m not personally recommending that you drive them below that but you do realize that the grip isn’t going to be significantly less at 44 degrees, or even 40. There’s a bit of play in those numbers and while you will see diminishing grip, I think once you get heat into the tire it’ll be less of an issue than you believe it will be especially if your day time temps are closer to 40 than 20. Corporations don’t want to invite lawsuits, so the layman inside me believes that those are conservative numbers. Just my thoughts.

True, but a lot of us live where the day time winter temps never get above 25*F. [wink]

I've had a set of 100 tread wear Nitto 555R2s, on an LS1 f body, out in those (even dry) conditions, and there is no 'grip' as they turn into blocks of ice at those temps, and never seem to warm up and grip. [:(]

In fact, when pulling out of a street parking spot at those types of ambient temps, with a bunch of steering lock dialed in, they tended to just 'push' straight forward with a loud 'shuttering' type sound, rather than follow the steering angle, even at ZERO MPH! [crazyeye]

Those who have never lived in, or experienced, cold weather just do not realize some things at all.

Last edited:
I've owned the following:

- Indy 500s: Had them on my old RS and hated them. They wash out in high temps and have no grip in the rain. Unless you have a second vehicle for those bad weather days or are willing to own and swap over a set of wheels, I wouldn't recommend them.

- Nitto Neo Gens: Actually had them on the RS before I swapped it and enjoyed them. They're more confidence inspiring than the 500s and it's easy to find and control their limit. I also heard somewhere that the inner tire wall is made of a harder compound to help with Toe wear? Not sure if that's true

- RE71R: I daily these tires. I don't understand why you wouldn't unless you're concerned about wear. Rain is fine, just drive like a normal person. Dry weather around town is where these shine (and AutoX). Only downside I've noticed is that now that they're getting older (over a year old), they're drying out and starting to understeer if I heat them up too much.

- r888r: Response isn't as good as the RE71R, Treadwear is garbage, can make any car a deathtrap in the rain, and they're expensive. You could buy them for the track, but if you're going far enough that you think you need 100tw tire, then just go to a slick. The R888R is a fanboi tire designed for show cars, and I stand by that opinion.

- RE11: Just bringing up this tire because I loved it. Sure they got a bit slick oily if you heated them up too much, but damn they were fun.

True, but a lot of us live where the day time winter temps never get above 25*F. [wink]

I've had a set of 100 tread wear Nitto 555R2s, on an LS1 f body, out in those (even dry) conditions, and there is no 'grip' as they turn into blocks of ice at those temps, and never seem to warm up and grip. [:(]

In fact, when pulling out of a street parking spot at those types of ambient temps, with a bunch of steering lock dialed in, they tended to just 'push' straight forward with a loud 'shuttering' type sound, rather than follow the steering angle, even at ZERO MPH! [crazyeye]

Those who have never lived in, or experienced, cold weather just do not realize some things at all.
Born and raised in the Chicago suburbs. I know cold, and I know snow. Again, appropriate tires for your conditions. Buy winters for winter and summers for summer. Yes, there are a certain number of months where it’s wishy washy on what the weather will do, but that’s part of your decision making process.

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
Born and raised in the Chicago suburbs. I know cold, and I know snow. Again, appropriate tires for your conditions. Buy winters for winter and summers for summer. Yes, there are a certain number of months where it’s wishy washy on what the weather will do, but that’s part of your decision making process.

We get your point about tires I don't care. Is someone in a minivan, SUV, or a truck going to buy summer tires no.

There is nothing wrong with all season tires. if you have a Porsche would it be a good idea to run summer tires to utilize the car's ability absolutely.

Some people have several vehicles in their households you really think they're going to buy several sets of wheels and tires get real.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I've owned the following:

- Indy 500s: Had them on my old RS and hated them. They wash out in high temps and have no grip in the rain. Unless you have a second vehicle for those bad weather days or are willing to own and swap over a set of wheels, I wouldn't recommend them.

- Nitto Neo Gens: Actually had them on the RS before I swapped it and enjoyed them. They're more confidence inspiring than the 500s and it's easy to find and control their limit. I also heard somewhere that the inner tire wall is made of a harder compound to help with Toe wear? Not sure if that's true
I found the 500s to be more than good enough in the rain. Had them for over a year on my FiST and they were very good, even on the 101 freeway which is notorious for poor water drainage.

I completely agree about the Nittos. They are fun to push because of the feedback they give, and I personally love how the tread looks. I love the Nittos more than the 500s even if they don't have the same grip.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club

Yes, and IF you can afford it/store them anywhere, have a set of 'intermediates' with an UHP all season on them to help save the other two extreme setups, and be 'appropriate' for those 'wishy-washy' conditions. [wink]

I found the 500s to be more than good enough in the rain. Had them for over a year on my FiST and they were very good, even on the 101 freeway which is notorious for poor water drainage.

I completely agree about the Nittos. They are fun to push because of the feedback they give, and I personally love how the tread looks. I love the Nittos more than the 500s even if they don't have the same grip.
Glad to hear you're liking the Nittos!

I've heard a lot of positives from people on the 500s, so I do consider my opinion on them to be not standard. I've actually wondered if it was the tire or the car setup that made me dislike them. I'm open to trying them again, but with so many other good tires on the market I haven't had the urge to switch. We'll see what's available when my RE71r wear down.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Glad to hear you're liking the Nittos!

I've heard a lot of positives from people on the 500s, so I do consider my opinion on them to be not standard. I've actually wondered if it was the tire or the car setup that made me dislike them. I'm open to trying them again, but with so many other good tires on the market I haven't had the urge to switch. We'll see what's available when my RE71r wear down.
I have no complaints about the (205/50-16 on Dekas) Neo Gens on that 'intermediate' wheel/tire setup mentioned above. [thumb]

They handle every/anything I can throw at them on the streets, and I would be in license losing territory if I pushed them past their apparent limits for that use. [:)]

Of course they would suck big time out on a road course, or autocross course, as they are an ALL SEASON RATED tire, so please STOP comparing them to even non-competition use, 340 tread wear PURE SUMMER tires, even though they handle as well, or better than some of those in warm dry conditions, LOL. [wink]

They are even very good in the limited, deep standing water I've driven them through so far, at full tread depth.

I have no complaints about the (205/50-16 on Dekas) Neo Gens on that 'intermediate' wheel/tire setup mentioned above. [thumb]

They handle every/anything I can throw at them on the streets, and I would be in license losing territory if I pushed them past their apparent limits for that use. [:)]

Of course they would suck big time out on a road course, or autocross course, as they are an ALL SEASON RATED tire, so please STOP comparing them to even non-competition use, 340 tread wear PURE SUMMER tires, even though they handle as well, or better than some of those in warm dry conditions, LOL. [wink]

They are even very good in the limited, deep standing water I've driven them through so far, at full tread depth.
I don't see why I shouldn't compare the two. They're both tires that someone will spend between $300-$600 dollars on and they should know what the difference is and what they're getting into. It doesn't take a Rocket Surgeon to know summer tires suck in winter and winter tires suck in summer. But most people on here I assume would like to know the find line between economical | performance and what side of the scale they want to be on.

The way I see it, you have four options for these cars:

1- I have $800 to buy the absolute best 340tw street/performance tire (PSS or something)
2- I have $500 to buy the absolute best 340tw performance tire in my price range (500s, EX CON Sports, etc)
3- I have $500 to buy the absolute best street tire that I can run year around, but it doesn't make my car boring (Neo Gens, etc)
4- I have $800 and want the best performance out of my car, and I don't care how often I have to replace them (RE71r, RT600, Etc)

OP
jeff

jeff

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #92
Update....was about to pull the trigger on some RS-PROs, but then I drove my car and realized my tires still have some life in them. See, we want to buy things just to buy things. My sidewalls are still in great shape, it's just the overall tread that's in the yellow. But not red. Yet. Soon.

Why RS-PRO? They match about what I have now (RS-R) and I saw a FiST with them fitted and it just looked BA. So I'm thinking I'll go that route.

Side note, the tires are $100 more since last time I priced them a few months ago for a set of 4. Inflation!!!!!

Update....was about to pull the trigger on some RS-PROs, but then I drove my car and realized my tires still have some life in them. See, we want to buy things just to buy things. My sidewalls are still in great shape, it's just the overall tread that's in the yellow. But not red. Yet. Soon.

Why RS-PRO? They match about what I have now (RS-R) and I saw a FiST with them fitted and it just looked BA. So I'm thinking I'll go that route.

Side note, the tires are $100 more since last time I priced them a few months ago for a set of 4. Inflation!!!!!
I could come by and let u see them on mine. I drive mine hard often, but they only last me about a year. I still think they're the beat tire for the price. Hook hard in second gear with no slip. My fist is a daily tho and I know u don't drive yours as much so would last u 2 or 3 years. I take turns harder than I'm comfortable with sometimes and they've never slipped or made a sound. I doubt you will ever reach the limits of them on the street. They are loud, especially when new, but nothing like the rs rr's. Rated at 72 deciples according to sticker if I remember right. I have to replace 2 soon. They would probably last another year, but since I daily it I want the little tread for when it rains. It would still be good for some auto x or a couple of track runs.

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk

OP
jeff

jeff

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #94
I could come by and let u see them on mine. I drive mine hard often, but they only last me about a year. I still think they're the beat tire for the price. Hook hard in second gear with no slip. My fist is a daily tho and I know u don't drive yours as much so would last u 2 or 3 years. I take turns harder than I'm comfortable with sometimes and they've never slipped or made a sound. I doubt you will ever reach the limits of them on the street. They are loud, especially when new, but nothing like the rs rr's. Rated at 72 deciples according to sticker if I remember right. I have to replace 2 soon. They would probably last another year, but since I daily it I want the little tread for when it rains. It would still be good for some auto x or a couple of track runs.

Dude that would be excellent...by west Columbia you mean you're in the Lexington area? That's under an hour from me...would love to meet you and see your car and maybe get some food. Text me at 7zero6-4one4-4twotwo4 and we'll chat.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
They are loud, especially when new, but nothing like the rs rr's. Rated at 72 decibels according to sticker if I remember right.
Federal actually prints a sound level rating on their tire stickers? [dunno]

I still have mine from the RS-RRs, I will have to go look and see what db rating they assigned to those 'screamers'.

Dude that would be excellent...by west Columbia you mean you're in the Lexington area? That's under an hour from me...would love to meet you and see your car and maybe get some food. Text me at 7zero6-4one4-4twotwo4 and we'll chat.
Yeah I'd like to meet you too. I'll text u soon. We've text before a while back. Yea im in Lexington area. I'm a friend of daniels. I'm starting my long week at work. So won't have any time off for a while, but maybe we can set something up in a couple of weeks.

Federal actually prints a sound level rating on their tire stickers? [dunno]

I still have mine from the RS-RRs, I will have to go look and see what db rating they assigned to those 'screamers'.
Yup I remember it was on the sticker on the tires. It sounds like an off road truck when u decelerate, but its about half as loud as rarrs with a little more middle tread. Handles just as good and hooks up just as good, but is better in the wet. Great on wet roads but still a little scary on roads with standing water.

OP
jeff

jeff

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #98
Yeah I'd like to meet you too. I'll text u soon. We've text before a while back. Yea im in Lexington area. I'm a friend of daniels. I'm starting my long week at work. So won't have any time off for a while, but maybe we can set something up in a couple of weeks.

OK I remember (you had an install here iirc) yeah I thought we might have talked, I apologize, I talk to so many people about cars I lose track of who's who. Definitely holler when able and we'll hang out, food is my treat. I don't mind driving to Lexington or if you're coming to Augusta we can meet here, or meet halfway in Aiken, whatever. TTYS.