Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Today it begins... Era of Orange Spice!

OP
GeorgiaFiesta

GeorgiaFiesta

Premium Account
Thread Starter #21
Went ahead and ordered some more parts from @ron@whoosh:

High flow turbo inlet elbow
Cold side intercooler pipes
Hot side intercooler pipes w/ larger "S" hose
High flow induction hose kit
Catch can
PCV/oil separator hose
Breather hose
Turbosmart BOV for S280s

Hopefully this is all I need - please let me know if y'all think I'm missing anything

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Went ahead and ordered some more parts from @ron@whoosh:

High flow turbo inlet elbow
Cold side intercooler pipes
Hot side intercooler pipes w/ larger "S" hose
High flow induction hose kit
Catch can
PCV/oil separator hose
Breather hose
Turbosmart BOV for S280s

Hopefully this is all I need - please let me know if y'all think I'm missing anything
if you are planning on running a S280 it comes with the pipes as part of the kit and the higher flow inlet was designed for a stock turbo. It will not fit on the S280.

dhminer

2000 Post Club
Good call out by dpro. If you email Ron quickly after ordering, he’ll usually be able to catch it and change your order for you. The rest of the plan looks good. You’ll probably want to do the st200 intake or diy mod the stock air box if you haven’t already

OP
GeorgiaFiesta

GeorgiaFiesta

Premium Account
Thread Starter #25
Good call out by dpro. If you email Ron quickly after ordering, he’ll usually be able to catch it and change your order for you. The rest of the plan looks good. You’ll probably want to do the st200 intake or diy mod the stock air box if you haven’t already
I did actually buy the ST200 airbox so that'll go on with the whoosh induction pipe, crossover pipe, S280, downpipe, manifold, and tune. Hoping I've covered all the bases as that'll be every piece of the intake and exhaust lines replaced.

dhminer

2000 Post Club
I did actually buy the ST200 airbox so that'll go on with the whoosh induction pipe, crossover pipe, S280, downpipe, manifold, and tune. Hoping I've covered all the bases as that'll be every piece of the intake and exhaust lines replaced.
Good stuff. Also you won’t need the MAP sensor upgrade unless you’re upgrading the fuel system as well. Stock fuel system doesn’t support enough boost to exceed the factory MAP sensor’s parameters.

OP
GeorgiaFiesta

GeorgiaFiesta

Premium Account
Thread Starter #27
Good stuff. Also you won’t need the MAP sensor upgrade unless you’re upgrading the fuel system as well. Stock fuel system doesn’t support enough boost to exceed the factory MAP sensor’s parameters.
I should have done more research honestly. I emailed Ron with some questions but he never got back to me. Jason from Dizzy let me know that the MAP sensor isn't needed unless you're over 28 psi which I won't be on 93 pump. Apparently the stock sensors are perfectly capable of supporting a tune up that clears 300 whp. Oh well, I guess if I ever go for aux fueling I'll have the sensor ready lol

OP
GeorgiaFiesta

GeorgiaFiesta

Premium Account
Thread Starter #28
Made some more progress over the last couple days. I swapped the complete AWR motor mount set for the stock mounts. This was probably not necessary because the car has 12k miles and the mounts seem fine, but I was in there anyways. I also made started the S280 swap but it was not as easy as I was hoping. I spent probably 6 hours just tearing the car down and getting the old downpipe, turbo, and manifold off the car.

My biggest issue was the downpipe heat shield. The 5 10mm bolts were all pretty crusty so I couldn't get anything to seat enough to break them loose. I ended up just cutting the shield and bending it back enough to access the turbo flange bolts and then dropping the downpipe through the bottom. It was tricky with the subframe and axle but it eventually came out. Then the manifold and turbo came out the top with relative ease.

Hopefully tomorrow I'll be able to get the new turbo, downpipe, and manifold put back on the car. Going to move slowly and make sure I don't miss any lines or connectors. I have a new turbo feed line and a new turbo drain line with new seals and washers. Also have new manifold gaskets for the ported manifold I got from whoosh and new studs for the manifold/turbo flange.

Also, how tf does everyone get the T30 torx bolt out from the bottom of the oil drain line? There is not enough room to get a socket on it. I'm at a loss with that one.

Attachments

OP
GeorgiaFiesta

GeorgiaFiesta

Premium Account
Thread Starter #30
The S280 is officially installed and running great. I've not driven except to the end of my street but I've done a leak test and no issues so far... I'm hoping to finish the brakes this week and then I'll be able to log some miles and work with @Jason@dizzytuning to dial in the tune.

OP
GeorgiaFiesta

GeorgiaFiesta

Premium Account
Thread Starter #31
Next up has been the brakes! I decided to use Ron's slotted rotor replacement with some Hawk pads. I had a feeling my slide pins were toast and that was correct. Friendly reminder to check and lube your pins! I was able to replace the factory hardware with hardware from my local auto parts store.

The front rotors were super crusty and were a pain to get off - I had to use deep creep, a torch, and a hammer but eventually they came loose. Next step is to reinstall the fender liners and splash guard and then go bed in the brakes.

Attachments

pixelzombie

Hello - if anyone has any advice on my build plans, I'd love some input - I'm pretty stupid and need to do more research but this is where I'm currently at with planning for an S280 weekend car.

Exhaust:
Whoosh catted downpipe (waiting to install)
Vibrant 3" downpipe to exhaust flange gasket (waiting to install)
Thermal catback exhaust (installed)
Whoosh exhaust hangers (installed)

Turbo/Intercooler:
Turbo Technics S280 kit (waiting to install)
Turbosmart 14 psi wastegate (waiting to install)
Whoosh ported turbo manifold (waiting to install)
Whoosh turbo and manifold stud kit (waiting to install)
Whoosh V3 intercooler (installed)

Radiator/Cooling:
Mountune radiator (installed)
Whoosh coolant hoses (waiting to install, might just skip these for now)

Engine/Intake:
Bosch uprated fuel injectors (waiting to install)
Whoosh performance coils (installed)
NGK spark plugs (installed)
RAM panel filter (installed)
Whoosh crossover pipe (waiting to install)
OEM ST200 airbox (contemplating... should I bother to replace the stock airbox?)

Brakes:
Whoosh slotted brake rotors (waiting to install)
Whoosh braided brake lines (waiting to install)
Hawk brake pads (waiting to install)

Suspension:
Bilstein B6 front/rear shocks (installed)

Wheels/Tires:
Team Dynamics 1.2s - 15"x8" (installed)
Yokohama Advan Fleva (installed)

Tune:
Cobb accessport (installed)
Dizzy tune for 93 octane (installed)

Misc:
Diode dynamics fog lights (installed)
AWR complete motor mount kit (waiting to install)
OEM replacement rear fender liners (waiting to install)

Thinking about buying the following:

Whoosh cold side intercooler pipe kit
Whoosh hot side intercooler pipe kit
Whoosh hot side intercooler "S" hose for S280
Dizzy tuning MAP sensor for high boost applications
Turbosmart BOV Kompact plumb back for S280
Whoosh PCV oil separator hose
Do I need a catch can?
Whoosh breather hose
Whoosh V2 high flow turbo inlet elbow
Whoosh evap purge "fix"
Wastegate? Not sure which one, if any.

I'm trying to get all the parts ordered so I can install over the two weeks I have off work during christmas/new years. Please please please critique my plans! Thank you
People were mocking my when I went with Raceland coilovers, but they have improved the handling quite a bit, very happy with them so far.

I don't see a rear motor mount on your list. I went with the Whoosh street version and it really improves launching the car.

OP
GeorgiaFiesta

GeorgiaFiesta

Premium Account
Thread Starter #34
People were mocking my when I went with Raceland coilovers, but they have improved the handling quite a bit, very happy with them so far.

I don't see a rear motor mount on your list. I went with the Whoosh street version and it really improves launching the car.
I actually did install an AWR rear motor mount but I'm not thrilled with it so far. It's very stiff and I can feel significantly more NVH from the car now so I'm looking for an alternative. I'll check out the Whoosh street spec product, thanks!

OP
GeorgiaFiesta

GeorgiaFiesta

Premium Account
Thread Starter #35
Finished the brakes and took the car out for a drive this morning to bed them in, but after about 15 minutes I pulled over had a concern. The rear passenger rotor was extremely hot while all three others were just slightly warm. The hot one had cooked the lubricant so I'm sure it was extremely hot. I assumed this meant the pads or caliper were sticking so I took the caliper apart, regreased everything, and reassembled. Same thing happened again. At this point I'm thinking my caliper piston must not be releasing and the pads are sticking. The wheel spins freely when in the air but the brakes are getting HOT in that one corner.

I'm going to try to remove the caliper and rebuild, but in the meantime, does anyone have a recommendation for caliper that they've had success with? I see different brands listed on Autozone vs O'Reilly's vs Advance. Thanks in advance!