Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Trailer Hitch / muffler hangers MY way

flbchbm

1000 Post Club
I read a few threads about the exhaust, muffler actually, swaying and hitting the large, flat piece of the hitch. Everybody kept saying use longer hangers, but have you seen what it looks like that low?! Everybody said use urethane hangers because they give less.

Well, I decided to get longer, urethane hangers from Amazon dirt cheap...not the performance supplier at 4 times the cost, sorry. They arrived and are as described.

Okay I'm under the car, putting them on and trying the different heights. Goldilocks was right. Only one setting was best. Two holes below factory. I pushed sideways on the muffler to see the difference it made. NONE, really. Hmm. Let me look at the situation again....

AHA! The REAL problem is not the soft factory hangers. The problem is the arms they go on are long and allow the hangers to slide side to side! What was MY solution? Easy. Keep using the longer urethane hangers AND the factory ones, but how?

I cut the old ones just under halfway lengthwise and close to a third in width, so they can be added to the new ones and fill the space on the arm. One arm has it on the outboard side and the other, the inboard side. Another has them on the same side. I pushed on the muffler and now....minimal movement! You're welcome.

I have had it strike the hitch only once, on a typical Philly suburb road as I was cornering a little faster than usual of course.

See pics and be careful cutting the factory hangers. I used a brand new knife dedicated for the toolbox, so the edges are not perfect, nor need to be.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
I read a few threads about the exhaust, muffler actually, swaying and hitting the large, flat piece of the hitch. Everybody kept saying use longer hangers, but have you seen what it looks like that low?! Everybody said use urethane hangers because they give less.

Well, I decided to get longer, urethane hangers from Amazon dirt cheap...not the performance supplier at 4 times the cost, sorry. They arrived and are as described.

Okay I'm under the car, putting them on and trying the different heights. Goldilocks was right. Only one setting was best. Two holes below factory. I pushed sideways on the muffler to see the difference it made. NONE, really. Hmm. Let me look at the situation again....

AHA! The REAL problem is not the soft factory hangers. The problem is the arms they go on are long and allow the hangers to slide side to side! What was MY solution? Easy. Keep using the longer urethane hangers AND the factory ones, but how?

I cut the old ones just under halfway lengthwise and close to a third in width, so they can be added to the new ones and fill the space on the arm. One arm has it on the outboard side and the other, the inboard side. Another has them on the same side. I pushed on the muffler and now....minimal movement! You're welcome.

I have had it strike the hitch only once, on a typical Philly suburb road as I was cornering a little faster than usual of course.

See pics and be careful cutting the factory hangers. I used a brand new knife dedicated for the toolbox, so the edges are not perfect, nor need to be.

I've used some universal poly ones that looked kinda like that - they were ok for a while but started to crumble after heat cycling a bit. I used them near the downpipe on a buick Grand National so the level of heat was "significant". Keep an eye on 'em :) (also the ones that came with mbrp exhaust crumbled apart pretty quick too, I think those ones were just poo though).

Something that helped me keep my exhaust centered and prevent side to side sway is these little goobers https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000ILA7L8 totally worth the cost.

A tip - if you have to cut any more stock rubber ones, freeze them first they cut a lot nicer :p

Last edited:
OP
flbchbm

flbchbm

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #3
I'm too cheap to spend the $13....lol

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
I'm too cheap to spend the $13....lol

lol I get ya.

Those stock rubbers you cut might start to tear now that they're cut instead of molded, if it happens keep those little round doodles in mind. If you have a tap and die you can even thread the exhaust hanger rods and use nuts/washers to keep things centered.

OP
flbchbm

flbchbm

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #6
Well, how things change so fast. Last night I installed my 3k mile used Borla exhaust from a forum member. Well, it is practically touching the whole time. The muffler is about 1" wider. I will not lower it any more than it already is. I have two main ideas in mind.

1. wrap the muffler in the two places where it strikes in some manifold wrap/tape and ss ties.
2. secure silicone padding to the hitch's huge plate or just wrap the whole thing in silicone sheeting to minimize baking the paint off of it.

How do I like the Borla? After listening the every YT video on US & UK systems, I love it. No drone AT ALL. It only drones as you are accelerating for a short moment through whatever rpm it was. It sounds great idling and revving down. Highly recommended.

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Well, how things change so fast. Last night I installed my 3k mile used Borla exhaust from a forum member. Well, it is practically touching the whole time. The muffler is about 1" wider. I will not lower it any more than it already is. I have two main ideas in mind.

1. wrap the muffler in the two places where it strikes in some manifold wrap/tape and ss ties.
2. secure silicone padding to the hitch's huge plate or just wrap the whole thing in silicone sheeting to minimize baking the paint off of it.

How do I like the Borla? After listening the every YT video on US & UK systems, I love it. No drone AT ALL. It only drones as you are accelerating for a short moment through whatever rpm it was. It sounds great idling and revving down. Highly recommended.
could you hog out a little bit of the hitch to add clearance?

Hypergram

1000 Post Club

When I was installing my Mountune Catback I had the same damn issue... Tips and muffler were rubbing the bumper. I took it to the shop and they extended the arms coming off the muffler by welding extra metal to make it fit properly. And I won't forget to mention that was an extra $300 cause of Mountune's f*** up which they refused to accept responsibility for. They offered to refund it, but I had already spent the time trying to install it.

Spork1569

When I was installing my Mountune Catback I had the same damn issue... Tips and muffler were rubbing the bumper. I took it to the shop and they extended the arms coming off the muffler by welding extra metal to make it fit properly. And I won't forget to mention that was an extra $300 cause of Mountune's f*** up which they refused to accept responsibility for. They offered to refund it, but I had already spent the time trying to install it.
I think that's just an issue with the Mountune cat back in general. Mine did the same thing with the exhaust tips even with new Powerflex hangars. Ended up getting fixed once the shop switched to some stronger clamps that allowed them to align the exhaust and bend the hangars to get some clearance. Luckily I didn't try it myslelf like originally planned.

Hypergram

1000 Post Club
I think that's just an issue with the Mountune cat back in general. Mine did the same thing with the exhaust tips even with new Powerflex hangars. Ended up getting fixed once the shop switched to some stronger clamps that allowed them to align the exhaust and bend the hangars to get some clearance. Luckily I didn't try it myslelf like originally planned.
Hi! I know this is kinda old, but after I had my car's hanger arms extended, one snapped in half... I need a fix which I can be sure won't break. Can you go into more detail into what you did to fix the issue? Do you have a link to those stronger clamps?

Spork1569

Hi! I know this is kinda old, but after I had my car's hanger arms extended, one snapped in half... I need a fix which I can be sure won't break. Can you go into more detail into what you did to fix the issue? Do you have a link to those stronger clamps?
I didn't buy them it was the ones the shop had on hand. Basically the mountune clamps were too weak to hold the car back in place in a way the tips wouldn't touch.

OP
flbchbm

flbchbm

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #13
When I was installing my Mountune Catback I had the same damn issue... Tips and muffler were rubbing the bumper. .
That is not the issue I have. The tips clear the plastic bumper fine. I love the Borla exhaust and tone. The muffler is wider than stock and closer to the hitch frame. The hitch is massively thick and would never grind any of it away. right now it is in the 2nd hole of the longer hangers. I want to raise it up to stock height. My plan: I have a silicone dish drain mat, silicone oven rack handling sleeves to around the metal zip ties. I'll be doing it one of these days....just too many things to do and not enough hours in the day....