Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Transmision Fluid Chage/Noise Is Worse

There is a carrier like bearing on the Passengerside CV axle shaft and I've wondered if this can be a source of bearing noise also...Food for thought. Oh and by the Way I had my trans replaced @25k with a very very nice 4th gear whine that eventually crept into 5th and started to get into 6th before it was replaced.
What was the problemo?

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
A "Ford Engineer" came and looked at my vehicle and said no tear down....Remove and Replace the trans. The new Trans also came with 2L of fluid in it also NOT 1.6L. I replaced it with Ravenol 75w80 fluid...hands down the best Fluid change that was immediately noticed upon shifting and driving.

A "Ford Engineer" came and looked at my vehicle and said no tear down....Remove and Replace the trans. The new Trans also came with 2L of fluid in it also NOT 1.6L. I replaced it with Ravenol 75w80 fluid...hands down the best Fluid change that was immediately noticed upon shifting and driving.
So was your transmission under filled and that’s why it took a crap?

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
They never got into specifics about it with me but I have the warranty paperwork. Its pretty vague.....I can look again but I don't recall it giving a specific root cause of the failure as they just R&R'd it.

OP
Se7eN

Se7eN

Thread Starter #25
There is a carrier like bearing on the Passengerside CV axle shaft and I've wondered if this can be a source of bearing noise also...Food for thought. Oh and by the Way I had my trans replaced @25k with a very very nice 4th gear whine that eventually crept into 5th and started to get into 6th before it was replaced.
That is just about what's happening to me. Started in 5th, then slightly in 6th, now it's from 2nd up to 6th, and it's no longer just wine. You kinda hear the gears engaging a bit. I supposed I'm going to have to find a Transmission. Cause there is no way in heck I'm going to tare it all down again and my car is close to 50K so they'll find a way to say warranty wont cover

OP
Se7eN

Se7eN

Thread Starter #26
So, did some digging and diagnostic. There is no shavings or filaments of metal in the oil, neither on the Magnetic ring around the drain plug. Swapped an axle out and nothing changed. Got someone who has a spare diff from a transmission that was bought as a spare so I'm going to be swapping out the Diff with bearings cause it appears to be that, also going to inspect the entire transmission while I'm at it.

Also, will be purchasing a new clutch and slave since the trans has to come down anyways. The stock clutch had been working great but did not like hard launches at the track or multiple passes on the streets of good old Mexicouuu.

OP
Se7eN

Se7eN

Thread Starter #27
So, I'm searching for a new transmission.

Apparently all the bearings in the trans gave out, this basically made a cascade effect and damaged most of the gears.

FiSTerMr

1000 Post Club
So, I'm searching for a new transmission.

Apparently all the bearings in the trans gave out, this basically made a cascade effect and damaged most of the gears.
Wow, did they speculate the cause of it?

2017 Magnetic FiST w/Recaros

OP
Se7eN

Se7eN

Thread Starter #29
Well there is not really way to tell. A buddy and I opened up the trans, the diff internal gears where shot, and some bearings looked really work and busted. Spun her around and made plenty of noise even out of the car. Put it back together and tested it after swapping out the diff. It's a horrible noise

OP
Se7eN

Se7eN

Thread Starter #30
So I got a new(Used) transmission in the car. Car Feels great and not more noise. When you spin the old trans around you can hear something grinding. I'm thinking about taking it to a local shop that can inspect it and see if would be cheap to fix up and have a spare or even get some money out of it.

Pretty sure it's the input shaft bearings.

So I got a new(Used) transmission in the car. Car Feels great and not more noise. When you spin the old trans around you can hear something grinding. I'm thinking about taking it to a local shop that can inspect it and see if would be cheap to fix up and have a spare or even get some money out of it.

Pretty sure it's the input shaft bearings.
Now stop dropping the clutch like it’s hot and maybe you can get a couple thousand miles out of it

OP
Se7eN

Se7eN

Thread Starter #32
it's been about 80 miles already (I don't commute that much), already gave it the beans once or twice on the pump gas tune but haven't shifted it hard yet. So I'll give it a few more days before I get on it.

I may be joining your club, car shifts fine but when at idle before everything has warmed up there is a wallowing sound which is pretty distinct. Also notice from 2.4k to around 2k on decel there is a somewhat of a whine but I only notice this after putting on Ron’s hot side pipe so maybe turbo noise. No other noises when cruising or shifting (shifting is nice and crisp) so who the fuck knows [emoji2369] I’ll be doing a check on the fluid for shavings and see what I find.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Se7eN

Se7eN

Thread Starter #35
The trans has a magnet at the bottom of it. Chances are all shavings just fall there and get collected. But if you get shinny metallic trans fluid then that might be a sign.

Also most of my issues where while moving.

The trans has a magnet at the bottom of it. Chances are all shavings just fall there and get collected. But if you get shinny metallic trans fluid then that might be a sign.

Also most of my issues where while moving.
Yea I’m hoping not to see candy colored gear oil but it’s not stressing me too much since like you said none of my problems are while moving. I’ll post what I find this Friday.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
I may be joining your club, car shifts fine but when at idle before everything has warmed up there is a wallowing sound which is pretty distinct. Also notice from 2.4k to around 2k on decel there is a somewhat of a whine but I only notice this after putting on Ron’s hot side pipe so maybe turbo noise. No other noises when cruising or shifting (shifting is nice and crisp) so who the fuck knows [emoji2369] I’ll be doing a check on the fluid for shavings and see what I find.
SymPOSER can be described as a "wallowing" sound at certain times.

Did another drain and fill with ravenol and a magnetic drain plug. No metal chunks but this is what came out.

IMG_2874.jpg

OP
Se7eN

Se7eN

Thread Starter #40
Looks very much like my oil when it came out before swapping out the transmission. I don't know if it has to do with normal ware or not but that fluid is super clear when it goes in.