Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Transmission fluid change

^^A lot of us switch to an external hex drain plug with a real powerful magnet in it as an extra precaution, even though yes, many will point out that there are magnets already in the gearbox housing (but those cannot be cleaned off unless/until one rebuilds the gearbox [:(]).
Ill probaly be getting one of does too but right now im looking for the one that you take out too put in the fluid through

Did a drain and fill last night at 34k miles with Ravenol mtf-2. I couldn’t tell you how much was in there because it gushed out so hard and fast that it went everywhere. Shot all over the control arm and sprayed the bottom half of my engine before soaking my garage. I wonder if it’s because I cracked the fill bolt first (good practice to avoid draining and not being able to fill). On the test drive I left a trail in my driveway which made me nervous because I also did oil, filter, and the fumoto valve. Best I can tell it was from the spray down and not an actual leak. I will say that shifts were cleaned up and the fluid is thicker than stock I noticed this morning on the way to work. Not too thick or anything but the shifter had more resistance moving. Overall it’s likely just a product of fresh fluid more than Ravenol being magic but 40 bucks for 2 liters isn’t awful especially since this car is relatively cheap to maintain. Only have about 15 miles on it though.

FiSTerMr

1000 Post Club
Did a drain and fill last night at 34k miles with Ravenol mtf-2. I couldn’t tell you how much was in there because it gushed out so hard and fast that it went everywhere. Shot all over the control arm and sprayed the bottom half of my engine before soaking my garage. I wonder if it’s because I cracked the fill bolt first (good practice to avoid draining and not being able to fill). On the test drive I left a trail in my driveway which made me nervous because I also did oil, filter, and the fumoto valve. Best I can tell it was from the spray down and not an actual leak. I will say that shifts were cleaned up and the fluid is thicker than stock I noticed this morning on the way to work. Not too thick or anything but the shifter had more resistance moving. Overall it’s likely just a product of fresh fluid more than Ravenol being magic but 40 bucks for 2 liters isn’t awful especially since this car is relatively cheap to maintain. Only have about 15 miles on it though.
Thanks for the info and keeping this thread alive and running [emoji106]

"boys support boys"

is $200 a lot for the dealer to change my trans fluid? Valvoline changes fluid for around $100 but they don't carry the factory spec trans fluid. They said if I buy it and bring it to them, they will do the change and "probably" give me a discount "like $20" so like $160 - $180 depending on how much I get the fluid for. Doesn't seem like a big difference but it does seem like a lot either way, I'd rather not try and do it myself and I'm not interested in any substitute fluids. (cars all stock 51k)

Fiestig

is $200 a lot for the dealer to change my trans fluid? Valvoline changes fluid for around $100 but they don't carry the factory spec trans fluid. They said if I buy it and bring it to them, they will do the change and "probably" give me a discount "like $20" so like $160 - $180 depending on how much I get the fluid for. Doesn't seem like a big difference but it does seem like a lot either way, I'd rather not try and do it myself and I'm not interested in any substitute fluids. (cars all stock 51k)
Changing the fluid is terribly simple on our cars as long as you have a long line funnel. The service is whatever you value it at in order to not do it yourself. I would simply say that if you want someone else to do it, shop around because every place is different. You could go to a really good ma/pa shop and get it done for under $100. Just shop around. Otherwise its just whatever you see as the value whether it is $80 or $200. I would see $200 as a bit steep, but it is a dealer price.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Apartment and Home Owners Association rules "prevent" some people from working on their own personal vehicles on their own personal property.

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
It's super easy. If you don't want to do it yourself, take it to a Jiffy Lube-type place. Have them put 2 full liters of this in it: https://www.blauparts.com/ravenol-m...7pPOmVlGkYI_oCus_kkR5Cplw1umvxXIaAk8FEALw_wcB

You'll have to supply the fluid. They will charge you way less than $200. It's a 10 minute job.

Last edited:

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Apartment and Home Owners Association rules "prevent" some people from working on their own personal vehicles on their own personal property.
Raises hand in livid anger. [:(!]

But, this can be done so quickly from under the car that I 'chance' doing this service myself, on the driveway, once a year (as well as the 2 or 3 oil/filter changes a year).

Flushing the brake/clutch system out, with the car up on four jack stands (or at least two at a time) on the other hand, is way too time consuming, and conspicuous, with much more chance of drawing the attention and IRE, as well as actual FINES of my HOA's Gestapo agents.
So that service, for ~$120 from the dealer, is more than worth it to me.

Same goes for changing out rotors and pads, cleaning and greasing slider pins, or even taking off the front bumper to install an aftermarket radiator and IC. [:(]

FiestaSTdude

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Raises hand in livid anger. [:(!]

But, this can be done so quickly from under the car that I 'chance' doing this service myself, on the driveway, once a year (as well as the 2 or 3 oil/filter changes a year).

Flushing the brake/clutch system out, with the car up on four jack stands (or at least two at a time) on the other hand, is way too time consuming, and conspicuous, with much more chance of drawing the attention and IRE, as well as actual FINES of my HOA's Gestapo agents.
So that service, for ~$120 from the dealer, is more than worth it to me.

Same goes for changing out rotors and pads, cleaning and greasing slider pins, or even taking off the front bumper to install an aftermarket radiator and IC. [:(]
That must be so annoying not being able to work on your car at your own house!

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Quick and simple, but vehicle should be level in order to get the proper fill level. I don't anticipate an "overfill" causing any issues and just having the front-end up (back end down) is most likely to result with that.

.............. So that service, for ~$120 from the dealer, is more than worth it to me. .................
Oye, don't get me started on the dealer... where something as simple as "installing" lug nuts can set you back some change. Wouldn't even trust'em to fill my washer fluid reservoir LoL. (That said, did have some AutoZone crap freeze in a reservoir one year.) If anything gets screwed up I know who I can trust to go back and deal with it. Occasionally used to see folks utilizing the farthest back reaches of empty 'Walmart' parking lots to work on their vehicles.

Sam4

F^ckers....same here. I was going to "like" the post, but I don't "like". Headed to my office parking lot later this morning...

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Quick and simple, but vehicle should be level in order to get the proper fill level. I don't anticipate an "overfill" causing any issues and just having the front-end up (back end down) is most likely to result with that.

Occasionally used to see folks utilizing the farthest back reaches of empty 'Walmart' parking lots to work on their vehicles.
Yeah, I just lift the driver's side corner enough to get under there comfortably, and do everything from there, as the 'top fill' with a funnel method makes NO SENSE AT ALL to me when you must get under there anyway to pull the drain plug and put a pan under it.

Besides, having the hood open at all is a trigger signal for the HOA f**kwads to investigate and attack, whereas a slight lift they might not notice if I take out the jack handle after lifting the corner.

Where I want to move might even be worse yet, so yeah, abandoned parking lots might be my only option at that point.
Even though I LOATHE loading the jack, stands, and everything else into the car to get anything done. [:(]

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Hoods... well if they're that fickel I'd rebel just to piss'em off. Organize a protest. Have everyone (willing to participate) raise their hood on particular days. (preferrably HOA meeting days) With enough signatures you may be able to get that rule amended (to a reasonable compromise) or dismissed. Apartment and condo owners however may be S.O.L. still, which just leaves the FU protest. 😅 Re compromise, the ultimate goal was to simply to keep retards from messing up the lot with oil, grease and storing broken down vehicles. Banning forms of maintenance that doesn't involve fluids, (simply lifting the hood,) doesn't forward this goal. Requiring large absorbent pads beneath vehicles being serviced would be a better compromise.
1650730601277.png

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
That might work with enough D.I.Y.ers in an area.

Sadly, I am THE single only one who seems to do ANY maintenance on their ride, or is even a mild enthusiast in this immediate development, at all. [:(]

Most of the rest hardly even wash their cars themselves (which IS A OK according to the 'rules'), and they are soooo 'point A to point B' appliance owners who lease a new $50K+ SUV every two years that they could not give a flying f**k about anyone else having to work on their cars. [:(!]

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Is there another HOA rule that annoys those owners? Might be able to manipulate them by roping two or more issues in with each other. Neighbors that have a garage queen, modded vehicles, old "classics" (or just old) are usually dead ringers for DIY. 😎 Flyer with a QR code leading to a web form to add support is an efficient way of seeing who might be game.

Sam4

That might work with enough D.I.Y.ers in an area.

Sadly, I am THE single only one who seems to do ANY maintenance on their ride, or is even a mild enthusiast in this immediate development, at all. [:(]

Most of the rest hardly even wash their cars themselves (which IS A OK according to the 'rules'), and they are soooo 'point A to point B' appliance owners who lease a new $50K+ SUV every two years that they could not give a flying f**k about anyone else having to work on their cars. [:(!]
If I move everything out onto the driveway, I could fit the ST AND be able to work on it. Hmmmm

Just curious if anyone has tried or has feedback on the Redline Oil 50604, MT-LV GL-4 Gear Oil? It is supposed to meet the Ford WSS-M2C200-D2 spec for our transmissions. Any opinions?

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account