Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Transmission oil change

Zunami1

2016 ford FiST should I change the transmission oil when it has never been changed?. It has 62k miles on it and i don't think the oil has ever been changed, I know that transmission fluids are quite delicate and i heard many cases where they changed the trans oil and it completely messed up the trans. I just got the car and i like maintenance bc "oil is cheap, an engine isn't" so I'm trying to give it as much love as possible.

Also why is the gas pedal so light i do burnouts every corner LMAO

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
2016 ford FiST should I change the transmission oil when it has never been changed?. It has 62k miles on it and i don't think the oil has ever been changed, I know that transmission fluids are quite delicate and i heard many cases where they changed the trans oil and it completely messed up the trans. I just got the car and i like maintenance bc "oil is cheap, an engine isn't" so I'm trying to give it as much love as possible.

Also why is the gas pedal so light i do burnouts every corner LMAO
This IS NOT an automatic Trans. Pull the fill plug and then the drain plug. Fill with appropriate fluid that meets fomoco spec. I use Ravenol 75w80 as it meets fomoco standards. Full 2L/ 2QTS filled also BTW.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I did not even wait for 7500 miles before changing the factory fluid out, and replacing it with Motul Gear 300.

I did not like how the IB6 shifted with that stuff in it in cold weather, so I dumped it within 3K miles, and installed the Ravenol MTF-2, which I have since also changed twice with the same, and it has been PERFECT (slightly over 2 liters each change every time, BTW).

This car currently has 32K miles on it, so I am definitely NOT a 'believer' in factory claimed 'lifetime fills', LOL!

Since our gearbox fluid is also a differential/ring and pinion fluid, it being a transaxle, it is prone to MUCH MORE mechanical shear than a setup which has a separate, not shared fluid, differential/r&p and gearbox.

THAT alone is enough motivation for me to change it out every 10K miles or more, 'overkill' or not. [wink]

Last edited:
The prep phase is kinda painful - you know... removing stuff to get the new oil in with a funnel and hose.

Also, I remember having to wait for the oil to actually get into the tranny since the air had to escape as the oil went in. There will be a lot of air bubbles popping so be prepared for oil splashing in the funnel.

OP
Z

Zunami1

Thread Starter #8
Holy smokes you guys a fricking awesome!!. Thank God i came here and asked, my dumbass was going to buy the motorcraft oil but I see y'all recommend ravenol and it's cheaper, but... isn't cheaper worst? Or you guys are certain it's better?

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Holy smokes you guys a fricking awesome!!. Thank God i came here and asked, my dumbass was going to buy the motorcraft oil but I see y'all recommend ravenol and it's cheaper, but... isn't cheaper worst? Or you guys are certain it's better?
Everyone is entitled to their opinion. But I will say it is one of the Best fluid changes that can be felt after driving. I live in Mn ....it gets to be -30° to 100° in Temps throughout the year. No issues when cold or when nice and Hot. There are other types of fluid you can use...Motul 300...Redline....etc. just make sure it meets the manual fluid spec. for our Trans and you will be fine. I did a mini DIY on it also.

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/to...&share_fid=74193&share_type=t&link_source=app

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Neither the Motul Gear 300, nor the Red Line MTL actually qualify for our specs.

But, there are OTHER products from both of those companies which do meet our specs. [wink]

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Neither the Motul Gear 300, nor the Red Line MTL actually qualify for our specs.

But, there are OTHER products from both of those companies which do meet our specs. [wink]
You're* incorrect.... my grammar is lacking today.

https://www.redlineoil.com/mt-lv-70w75w

Last edited:

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Your incorrect....

https://www.redlineoil.com/mt-lv-70w75w

I was speaking about their regular old MTL (like I used to use in my T56), NOT their LV which yes DOES meet our specs directly, and was one of their other products, which DOES directly fulfill our specs, I was referring to in the post above.[wink]