Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Transmission Problems: Tough shift for 1st, 2nd, and reverse, shaky operation

Hey all,

I've only had the FiST for about 3 weeks now and I'm already having some issues. The car only has about 5k miles on it and the transmission is giving me some trouble. I've found that shifting into 1st, 2nd, or reverse takes some effort compared to the normal smooth shifting of this car, there's also a significant amount of shudder when trying to drive in these gears. I plan on taking it to the dealership for service (naturally they're closed till Monday), but I'm wondering if anyone knows what this could be. I will say that it has seen at least a couple miss-shift in its life. I've let friends drive it a couple times and both of them miss-shifted into a low gear (one went into first, the other went into second) at high speeds without intending to. I know this is obviously bad for the car, but I can't imagine that two such events would cause the death of the part. And if this is the case, then ford needs to seriously rethink their pass/fail criteria.

Hey all,

.......I will say that it has seen at least two abuse events in its life. I've let friends drive it a couple times and both of them miss-shifted into a low gear (one went into first, the other went into second) at high speeds without intending to. I know this is obviously bad for the car, but I can't imagine that two such events would cause the death of the part. And if this is the case, then ford needs to seriously rethink their pass/fail criteria.
The "events" you mention CAN cause clutch failure which is what you have now. Good luck at the dealer if asking for a warranty fix as you have admitted the cause to the forum.

Oh, and it isn't a "Ford" problem, it's a "friend" and owner problem. You can't design against all idiots, just most. There's a limit to cost effective design, but there are no limits to stupid.

OP
MichiganST
Thread Starter #5
The "events" you mention CAN cause clutch failure which is what you have now. Good luck at the dealer if asking for a warranty fix as you have admitted the cause to the forum.

Oh, and it isn't a "Ford" problem, it's a "friend" and owner problem. You can't design against all idiots, just most. There's a limit to cost effective design, but there are no limits to stupid.
I understand that abuse events are just that, abusive, but two events shouldn't be able to fail a part unless there is a manufacturing defect, or a design defect that slipped through every phase of testing. I apologize if I pushed a button somehow. I'm simply frustrated that a vehicle I've had for three weeks is already experiencing issues. With that said, this vehicle was owned by Ford before I bought it, and I don't know what kind of life it led while in their hands.

OP
MichiganST
Thread Starter #6
Just a quick update. I got in it to try the cable fix mentioned in the link (didn't end up doing it), and noticed that it was shifting smoothly again. So I took it out for a quick spin around the block. The clutch itself feels fine when I engage it. But first and second take muscle to engage. Once they're in it's fine. I'm going to take it to the dealer tomorrow to have it looked at. And to Forzda's point about claiming warranty, when I asked about the clutch when I was looking at the car the dealer said it is never covered under the warranty, so that's a but of a moot point.

has anyone tried the cable adjustment? I've struggled getting into 5th, which ruins highway fun ):
Just a quick update. I got in it to try the cable fix mentioned in the link (didn't end up doing it), and noticed that it was shifting smoothly again. So I took it out for a quick spin around the block. The clutch itself feels fine when I engage it. But first and second take muscle to engage. Once they're in it's fine. I'm going to take it to the dealer tomorrow to have it looked at. And to Forzda's point about claiming warranty, when I asked about the clutch when I was looking at the car the dealer said it is never covered under the warranty, so that's a but of a moot point.
Hey ebowtheryan and MichiganST,

Have either of you had a chance to get your STs into the dealer yet? Send over a PM with your name, VIN, mileage, dealer, and best daytime phone number, and I'll look further into this to see how I can help.

Nick

..., this vehicle was owned by Ford before I bought it, and I don't know what kind of life it led while in their hands.
You mean it was literally a used car? You didn't mention that initially.

Just some FYI, a single "abuse" event can cause part failure if there is enough stupid involved. Just sayin'.

Good luck with your particular issue for sure.

OP
MichiganST
Thread Starter #10
You mean it was literally a used car? You didn't mention that initially.

Just some FYI, a single "abuse" event can cause part failure if there is enough stupid involved. Just sayin'.

Good luck with your particular issue for sure.
Ah, sorry about that. Yeah, I bought it used with 3500 miles on it, issue showed up at 5200 miles