Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Transmission ratios on this car are flawless.

Maybe this is an unpopular opinion, maybe others agree. Just wanted to share my thoughts on the FiST gearing. Long story short, after nearly 3 years with the car I think Ford absolutely nailed the ratios of each gear.

When I first bought the car, I remember thinking first gear was too short, second gear was a little too short, third, fourth, and fifth were fine, and sixth should have been taller. Perhaps this was because my previous car was a 2016 Fiesta SFE 1.0T with TALL gearing (for fuel economy).

After much contemplation, I really think Ford nailed all the ratios and I have zero complaints.

Maybe I've just "gotten used" to the car. But I think my time driving other (kinda similar) cars over the past year has helped me appreciate the ST gearbox. For reference, these cars have included:
- 2022 Civic Si (6 sp)
- 2014 Civic Si (6 sp)
- 2019 Toyota Corolla (6 sp)
- Mk 7 GTI (6 sp)
- Mk 4 GLI (6 sp)
- 2014 Focus SE (5 sp)
- 1999 NB Miata (5 sp)

Some of these cars feel like they're geared too low overall (Miata - although I know this is to compensate for lower HP, it would be nice to have at least an extra gear for higher speed cruising...4000 RPM on the interstate gets old). Some feel like they're geared too high (Corolla - probably for MPG, but still...). Some feel just right - most notably the 2022 Civic Si and the Fiesta ST.

Here are my thoughts, gear by gear:

1st - only too low if you're drag racing (it's a FWD econobox...). Perfect for stop & go traffic. Easy modulation to get the car moving. Perfect for a daily driver.

2nd - great for rolling starts, fun pulls up to 50ish MPH. Perfectly spaced for 3-2 downshifts.

3rd - the perfect gear for hard pulls that won't put you in jail

4th / 5th - spaced flawlessly, perfect for high speed passing in the meat of the torque band.

6th - just high enough for good fuel economy when cruising. Just low enough to still have get up & go without always needing to downshift.

Overall, for a car that's used for any type of driving you can think of, I think Ford nailed the gear ratios. The spacing is cohesive, you can stay in the power band between all gears and you can really row through all the gears without driving stupid fast. First is low enough to be great for slow speed / taking off on hills and 6th is high enough for good fuel economy and keeping revs reasonably low at interstate speeds without sacrificing too much power.

Moral of the story, I love this car. Hope mine goes many more years. I don't think there's anything out there with the same balance of budget, fun, and practicality.

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
That's a good write up, thanks for taking the time. I am also happy with the gear ratios. I have only had manual transmission cars since I got my driver's license, and that was a looong time ago. These have included an '84 Prelude, a '96 Integra GSR, a 2008 M3, and '95 NSX, all with excellent transmissions except the BMW, which was kind of clunky.
I also particularly like third gear in our cars, it pulls like a freight train, especially with the addition of the Mountune MP215 tune.
These cars are just a hell of a lot of fun, and I agree with you about the blend of good attributes. I have seen a few in-depth interviews with the engineers who designed the car, and I was impressed with the level of detail and careful thought that they put into the cars. I would assume that they put the same level of thought into choosing the gear ratios.

It's all opinion but . . . for us track dedicated guys, we spend much of our time in 3rd and 4th. I would love both of them to be lower for harder pulls and faster spool-up out of lower RPMs -- especially 3rd. I often find myself in no-man's land where gearing down to 2nd or 3rd may or may not be faster. Having 3rd and 4th lower would solve it.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
^^Why some of the open trackers go to the higher numerical final drive ring & pinion setups (IF they are opening up the transaxle anyway for a limited slip), I guess. [dunno]

Jabbit

2000 Post Club
Curious also … @Jabbit, are you BT? How much if a change does it have in the feel?
Yes, 2560r. Only 300whp right now but it does well on track, lots of other mods. Will be 350+ once I fix my wastegate and boost leak. Quaife LSD and gears went it at the same time so it was quite the transformation.

Yes, 2560r. Only 300whp right now but it does well on track, lots of other mods. Will be 350+ once I fix my wastegate and boost leak. Quaife LSD and gears went it at the same time so it was quite the transformation.
Can you link us to where we can see an effective gear ratio comparison for what you have versus stock?

gtx3076

1000 Post Club
I cruise at 80+mph on the daily here in Texas. I would never consider a shorter gear ratio here unless it was just a toy.

At 80mph, in 6th gear we are spinning around 3300rpm, which we all know is about peak torque. This car will pull HARD if you floor it in 6th. The only reason why I downshift to 5th is because I drove a Mazdaspeed 3 for many years and high gear/high torque WOT pulls popped motors like bubble wrap so I'm still timid about do it on a boosted car, but I've definitely done it.

dhminer

2000 Post Club
I cruise at 80+mph on the daily here in Texas. I would never consider a shorter gear ratio here unless it was just a toy.

At 80mph, in 6th gear we are spinning around 3300rpm, which we all know is about peak torque. This car will pull HARD if you floor it in 6th. The only reason why I downshift to 5th is because I drove a Mazdaspeed 3 for many years and high gear/high torque WOT pulls popped motors like bubble wrap so I'm still timid about do it on a boosted car, but I've definitely done it.
Great explanation here -
View: https://youtu.be/soJea7xEt-8?si=0PAav2xPyYTXfosa

Somewhere, either here or on \r\FiestaST, I read that you should never floor it in 5th or 6th
At what RPM? That's a pretty open statement. Of course you're going to go WOT in 5th and 6th at some point in the rev range. With the stock turbo and E30 tune I never DS to 5th over 4000rpm. There's not much difference in pull with the stock turbo. If I'm extra lazy even as low as 3500rpm, but I roll on it usually. I think WOT in top gear at 2500rpm would be not so good on the rods.

Just watched the vid. 1500 rpm is way low. I think this stands true on a stock turbo up to 3500-3800rpm. What's funny is when Mercedes started turboing their engines with smaller turbos, peak torque was achieved at 1800rpm. It was one of the selling points.

gtx3076

1000 Post Club

dhminer

2000 Post Club
I wouldn’t consider 3300 lugging, but flooring in 6th was definitely discouraged on that old platform partially because 6th is usually a cruising gear. We’re near peak boost rpm’s 3300-3500rpm on stock turbo.
For sure, I wouldn’t consider that lugging either.

Jabbit

2000 Post Club
This is outstanding. Doing this next time the gearbox comes down. Fifth gear is the only one that make me take pause. I hate the idea of hitting the rev limiter by 137.
So far at 300whp, I've hit 118mph at the end of some front straights on tracks near me. I don't have any super fast tracks like AMP or VIR that I visit. VIR is a bucket list track but haven't gotten there yet. Be advised that if you are paying a mechanic to do this swap, it's pricey. Some of the gears (I think 2nd?) are considered consumable so they need to be cut to be taken off. Some have gotten lucky but I did not. I don't consider this a DIY job but others are more brave than I am. Also @haste has the shorter gear ratio so perhaps they can comment.