Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Triple R Splitters Back in Stock at FSWERKS!

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
I prefer urethane and hope to see some come to market. if not, oh well. no fiberglass for me.
Totally agree...Also thx for posting this (below) ...The pricing is fairly reasonable considering its CF constructed (I prefer the smaller version)...Also looking at the possibility at having Seibon Carbon making these available for our FiST....

HCC carbon fiber splitters may be an option for some. They have 2 different designs.

http://shop.hcc-motorsport.com/

koozy

3000 Post Club
Totally agree...Also thx for posting this (below) ...The pricing is fairly reasonable considering its CF constructed (I prefer the smaller version)...Also looking at the possibility at having Seibon Carbon making these available for our FiST....
Cool, hopefully they're interested. I'd consider a carbon fiber splitter, but definitely no fiberglass.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
I consider splitters consumable items meaning I expect to replace them on occasion.

Fiberglass is easiest to repair so it can sometimes last much longer than urethane.

A damaged CF one, if repairable, would most likely need to be painted anyway as well as most "CF" parts sold are fiberglass with a layer of CF on them, not really CF in that case, just CF covered.

To each his own though, of course:)

OP
MMMTRBO
Thread Starter #46
Fiberglass is the easiest to repair, but urethane is by far the most durable of all the materials. You can bend and warp those almost any which way and they basically always come back to the original shape. I'm surprised nothing has come out yet in urethane. China has flooded the market for the majority of other tuner cars. My Subaru for example has endless options for urethane lips.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
I would take a urethane one of course if done right.

CF is no better in this application than fiberglass unless you only care about how it looks which will deteriorate with use, not going to take any more abuse than fiberglass if made like most which are mostly FG anyway, just harder to fix, if pure CF a bit stronger but not flexible enough to matter, it will shatter if hit hard enough or just crack like fiberglass.

If building a race car within a set of rules and need to shave every once then it might matter but for a street car, even a street track car, the savings will be pretty minimal at best.

I love CF stuff, I have had lots of beautiful parts made from it and had a $1k splitter on my race vette I had to paint as the finish was crap when I received it. I was the very first to have a carbon/kevlar roof on a Scion tC, custom mounted and saved 46 lbs compared to the glass roof the car came with. I also had a custom $1800 wing element made for my last project car, just the center section, it was a work of art. I had a $300 bumper splitter because I knew it would get broken sooner or later.

Just saying this out of experience, why not fiberglass?

koozy

3000 Post Club
simply because it's cheap. fiberglass has it's applications and purpose, but It's more delicate and prone to crack, etc and I'd rather not have it on my street car. I would rather bolt something on and not have to think about fixing it later at some point; and with fiberglass I suspect that it would be sooner than materials like carbon fiber or urethane.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
I have already explained CF, cosmetically it is wonderful but that is about all you gain on a street driven car, unless you drive a great deal and it gets trashed just like fiberglass will.

Even if you buy a "CF" hood, where the right ones will save some weight, it is still mostly fiberglass, the think CF layer barely adds any strength to it.

Pure CF is lower weight if pure CF but nearly all parts made for street cars are just fiberglass covered with one layer of CF cloth so not really much difference in strength or weight.

If you want something more rugged you want urethane.

That sums it up, been doing this stuff for 46 years at many different levels, dozens of cars and trucks, if you want the lowest maintenance splitter, lip, etc, start bugging companies to make one for our car out of urethane:)

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
Yeah I agree that a Urethane splitter would be best material to use with respect to durability and low maintenance...

Seriously though, just check out the splitting and stress fracturing that's occurring along the entire edge of this Triple R splitter in a relatively short amount of time which is not at all surprising and should be expected when using FG materials particularly in this location / application...But in all farness and as the manufacturer states (kinda a full disclosure) this splitter is really not finished to a "show quality level" with additional protective top coats as it should have been applied given where its located....btw...Its interesting to note how the rest of the lower painted body that the splitter is attached to is still in excellent condition...

Fiber glass repair.jpg

I will admit the Triple R Splitter design looks great and I even considered purchasing one.... but for how long will it last? And at this point in my life I'm not really not looking for additional busy work and upkeep that this appears to require...

all IMHO of course ;)

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
In reality the splitter as designed does little good for adding downforce or improving aerodynamics, it could be and probably is worse in these areas.

The air dam or whatever the proper term that sticks down 2 or more inches deeper under the stock bumper cover including in front of the tires is very effective and also was on the C5 and C6 vettes I have owned.

Unless modified to be more effective this unit and probably most of them are purely cosmetic and some if not all reduce performance, only in the visual realm seem to make it better;)

That means it is likely, rice.

And I have one, but modded to make it do a decent job.

-------------------------

I honestly love the looks though and know I need to take and the undertray it is now a part of off for the winter but I have a hard time doing that.

I am into looks a bit I have to admit:)