Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Trying to decide between two wheels; input?

OP
R
Thread Starter #21
Are those Pilot Sport AS3s the 205/40-17 size??

I want to know since I also ordered my '16 with the all season option, and am HOPING for THESE tires over whatever else they would/could install at the factory (NOT too many all seasons made in this size).
Yes, they are Pilot Sport AS3's in the stock size. You can find the tire and reviews on TireRack by just putting in 205/40/17 and setting the brand to Michelin.

-Matt

Roflwafflz,

They look great! Do you notice an improvement?

Mine are sitting in the garage. Not sure when I will install them.

OP
R
Thread Starter #23
Roflwafflz,

They look great! Do you notice an improvement?

Mine are sitting in the garage. Not sure when I will install them.
I'd say yea, I definitely feel a difference in the overall agility of the car. It feels 'lighter on it's feet' for lack of better terminology lol. The steering feels lighter and more responsive, and you can tell that the engine is not having to try as hard to get the front wheels in motion and put power to the ground. Overall, I'm pleased with the end result. I cannot honestly say how much of the differences I feel are placebo, but I still think it's a great mod overall.

The only part I'm not pleased with is how the plastidip turned out on the wheel hubs. I'm not sure if I just didn't put enough coats on (I did 3), but it seems very thin and bare metal is still visible in a lot of spots. I'll have to try giving it a few more coats and see how that works out. If I'm still not pleased, I'm going to pick up some automotive Rustoleum and just black them out that way.

-Matt

OP
R
Thread Starter #25
How is the grip on the AS3's? Straight line and lateral.
I'd say they are decent in both categories, but then again I don't have extensive history with multiple performance tires to qualify that. At the stock power levels, it still gets squirrely in first and second in a straight line. And I can honestly say that I'm sure in lateral movements, the tires are more confident grip wise than I am driver wise. For all season, I can see why they are option for the FiST.

-Matt

joesiris

Good choice, while I'm partial to black rims ( I have the stock black on my metallic st) I love the style of the K5r's. I had similar enkei rims on my lancer.

OP
R
Thread Starter #27
Good choice, while I'm partial to black rims ( I have the stock black on my metallic st) I love the style of the K5r's. I had similar enkei rims on my lancer.
Thanks. I like the look overall, though I do admit I wish they did come in black from the factory. Given how relatively cheap they were though, I figure I'll use them for awhile and maybe step up to some OZ superturismo LM's someday. We'll see.

Also as an update, I hit the wheel hubs with some more plastidip and I think it turned out decent enough. I'll post some pics later on this evening or tomorrow.

-Matt

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I'll use them for awhile and maybe step up to some OZ superturismo LM's someday.
Those are the wheels I've always REALLY wanted on MANY cars in my past (along with the 17"/18" Pro Race 1.2s), but everyone and their great grand aunt on here constantly preaching their (correct, of course) anti unsprung weight argument, have convinced me to go the B Spec route with the 15s.

OP
R
Thread Starter #29
Those are the wheels I've always REALLY wanted on MANY cars in my past (along with the 17"/18" Pro Race 1.2s), but everyone and their great grand aunt on here constantly preaching their (correct, of course) anti unsprung weight argument, have convinced me to go the B Spec route with the 15s.
Hehe yea, I hear ya. I think it's just a matter of preference overall. Since I'm more of a casual driver, I doubt it would make much difference on the weight savings compared to someone who regularly does autocross or something similar. I'm sure the 15s will be a nice upgrade as well :).

Edit:

Wanted to toss a close up pic of how the plastidip turned out on the wheel hubs. It's so so. I have a feeling that if/when the time ever comes to remove this stuff, it's going to be a pain in the ass given how many grooves their are lol... Oh well, lesson learned. Oh, and yes, those are some scratches to the paint you see on the outer portion. Not sure if that was an install error or if the paint is just very brittle. Either way, for the amount I got the wheels for, I really don't care haha.

-Matt

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
I have not been on the site as much as usual, getting setup back here in NV, a ton of work to do as clearing out most of what we own as decided full time RVing is going to be our lifestyle for some time to come.

Plasti Dip might not hold up for long, even plastic hub rings melt on track and some have on higher speed canyon runs, etc....high temp spray paint would be best.

Even if not autocrossing, etc...the lower the weight the better and the smaller wheel diameter brings more of the tire weight towards the center of rotation. All the gains still apply, better ride, more effective brakes which will help them hold up longer in harder use, better acceleration, better handling, better ride and less wear on the chassis and when driven accordingly better fuel mileage. The added sidewall helps protect those low weight wheels very well and helps protect the tires, suspension, mounting points, etc...

The loss of a bit of the "razor sharp response" is not always a bad thing in certain emergency circumstances, the added ability of the tires and suspension to maintain the contact patch over bumps are enough reason for the change but there are many more gains.

17's on this car are purely a style issue and Ford could of easily afforded to have 16" flow formed wheels made that were much lower in weight and as strong or stronger than the stock wheels.

The PS AS/3 is a very very good performance AS tire, the best in 17, I had them in 205/45/17 on 16.8 lb wheels, liked them just fine until I put on the 15" summer tires and wheels and noticed a huge improvement in noise reduction and ride, so much so when I put the PS tires back on my wife no longer wanted to ride in or drive the car and she likes a car that has great feedback and control as much as anybody but hated the tires so I gave them to my daughter. Now I have the 205/50/15 NeoGen, which cost around 40% less, on 11.4lb 15x8 6UL wheels, huge gain in all aspects with overall grip pretty close to the same.

I still have my even stickier 225/45/15 Rival S on 15x9 (15x8 works just fine as well) and run them this time of the year, the Rival S is far better riding and far less noisy than the PS tires.

---------------

Tires that fit this car range in weight from 19-22lbs in most of the sizes we can use no matter the rim diameter, the lower weight option is always better if the rest of the aspects of the particular tire meet your needs.

------------------

The most important thing in all aspects in life including wheels and tires is balance. In this case intended use, cost, weight, performance, ride, noise, reliability and even style.

Unfortunately some put style as the top priority which most often gives up a great deal of the rest which this car was designed to provide, a well balanced package for a great price and huge fun to actually drive.

joesiris

it looks good tho...ive recently started playing with plasti-dip, looks so much easier on you tube

OP
R
Thread Starter #32
I have not been on the site as much as usual, getting setup back here in NV, a ton of work to do as clearing out most of what we own as decided full time RVing is going to be our lifestyle for some time to come.

Plasti Dip might not hold up for long, even plastic hub rings melt on track and some have on higher speed canyon runs, etc....high temp spray paint would be best.

Even if not autocrossing, etc...the lower the weight the better and the smaller wheel diameter brings more of the tire weight towards the center of rotation. All the gains still apply, better ride, more effective brakes which will help them hold up longer in harder use, better acceleration, better handling, better ride and less wear on the chassis and when driven accordingly better fuel mileage. The added sidewall helps protect those low weight wheels very well and helps protect the tires, suspension, mounting points, etc...

The loss of a bit of the "razor sharp response" is not always a bad thing in certain emergency circumstances, the added ability of the tires and suspension to maintain the contact patch over bumps are enough reason for the change but there are many more gains.

17's on this car are purely a style issue and Ford could of easily afforded to have 16" flow formed wheels made that were much lower in weight and as strong or stronger than the stock wheels.

The PS AS/3 is a very very good performance AS tire, the best in 17, I had them in 205/45/17 on 16.8 lb wheels, liked them just fine until I put on the 15" summer tires and wheels and noticed a huge improvement in noise reduction and ride, so much so when I put the PS tires back on my wife no longer wanted to ride in or drive the car and she likes a car that has great feedback and control as much as anybody but hated the tires so I gave them to my daughter. Now I have the 205/50/15 NeoGen, which cost around 40% less, on 11.4lb 15x8 6UL wheels, huge gain in all aspects with overall grip pretty close to the same.

I still have my even stickier 225/45/15 Rival S on 15x9 (15x8 works just fine as well) and run them this time of the year, the Rival S is far better riding and far less noisy than the PS tires.

---------------

Tires that fit this car range in weight from 19-22lbs in most of the sizes we can use no matter the rim diameter, the lower weight option is always better if the rest of the aspects of the particular tire meet your needs.

------------------

The most important thing in all aspects in life including wheels and tires is balance. In this case intended use, cost, weight, performance, ride, noise, reliability and even style.

Unfortunately some put style as the top priority which most often gives up a great deal of the rest which this car was designed to provide, a well balanced package for a great price and huge fun to actually drive.
Well put RAAM. Definitely glad I decided to go for it and try out this mod. I'm going to be looking at low weight wheels and the best tires (per application) for every car I own from now on.

it looks good tho...ive recently started playing with plasti-dip, looks so much easier on you tube
Agreed, it looks so much easier than starting out. I'm sure with practice it gets easier, and it also depends on the size and shape of the item you're dipping. If the dip ends up burning off from the wheel hubs, I'll just pick up some higher temp automotive paint like RAAM suggested and be done with it.

-Matt