Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

TT ***S290*** thread :)

This is just a guess but usually whenever you introduce 30-35psi worth of boost, there is no warning, the motor will just randomly decide to shit itself with no warning at all.

Typically rod slap or knock is something you will see as a warning sign from engines that suffered oil starvation, not extreme boost.
With my first motor, I was pushing 32ish lbs of boost on track. On a whim, I data logged again, and found lots of knock. The tuner couldn't explain it, other than perhaps dirty valves.

I switched tuners and moved down to 27lbs. That tuner couldn't explain the knock either, but alleged it was "false knock" because of hard engine mounts and very stiff suspension. He tuned around it, so that the car wouldn't pull a bunch of timing. 1.5 track days later, the #4 rod broke and completely destroyed the block.

The motor had 111k miles on it, and I have no idea how the previous owner(s) took care of it. I believe pushing it to 32 lbs under extreme track conditions caused the motor issue that first revealed itself as knock . . . and that knock was an early sign of imminent destruction. It was not "false" knock, IMO.

Just sharing my experience . . .

Last edited:
Man. I remember in my DSM days and stock motors we always tried to make the power with boost and less timing to reduce cylinder pressure. 12-16dg max torque high boost would live way longer than 20-30dg and less boost. Of course this was on a closed deck iron block. You gave it a hell of a run tho and she took it for a while. Maybe with the increased flow of the S290 the motor may make the same power on same boost and less timing for those who want to push the stock motor that far. Could give some headroom.

Last edited:
You don’t eff around MO15! Already back up with new motor and turbo. Sounding beastly at low boost. Which block did u go with?

Erick_V

Geez, I thought the testing for the S290 wasn't coming till next month lol. You got this thing going in no time, good work!

Guessing Adam is tuning the car?

It is a 100% OEM Ford long block. We will be nicer to this one than we were the last one.
Great news. Very exciting to see what a well tuned stock block with all supporting mods for longevity can handle and for how long. I’d rather have to install a stock long block every 30-50k miles than go built.

OP
MO15Fiesta
Thread Starter #69
Great news. Very exciting to see what a well tuned stock block with all supporting mods for longevity can handle and for how long. I’d rather have to install a stock long block every 30-50k miles than go built.
I understand that view point. The reliability is solid as long as everything is right. I'm just ready for some 400+whp action and have it last more than a month or two.

OP
MO15Fiesta
Thread Starter #71
What made you go with a stock long block and how do you plan to be nicer? Lol.
Simply because it is what's available. Built shortblocks are very close, but headstuds are a problem currently. We won't be cramming boost pressure down it's throat to the extent that we were. If I had to guess we will cap this in the mid to upper 20s psi wise as that will probably be close to the 375whp mark.

ARP's don't cut it? I don't know if they make A1 studs for the 1.6, but those were my gotos in high boost applications. Never lifted a head with those up to 45psi on a DBB T67. Good luck staying below 30psi! Powah corrupts. ;)

Magnetic

Can someone fill me in on the issue with built blocksplease? I've been considering the mountune 1.6L EcoBoost Short Block Engine on Whoosh's site for all the benefits.

What am I missing?

I have no personal experiences with built Ford 1.6l, but have read a few thread with guys who have/had a built 1.6 and they never seemed to last or some gremlins were always popping up. Not speaking to what mountune is offering. It's probably great.

It could also be said that people are pushing things to higher limits when it comes to a built motor. It's just the factory motor is built very well with certain tolerances in mind. Most non factory built motors are built by small companies with less quality control, development cost and field testing. Major manufacturers spend billions on R&D developing new engines. Small engine houses, not so much. More room for error and generally the customer can be the field tester.

I remember back in 2002 GM decided to dive into the sport compact drag scene. If memory serves they dumped in about 2mil developing their SC drag motor. A drop in the bucket for them. If ford started offering factory built high HP short blocks at a reasonable cost and with a limited warranty on factory defects, I'd be all over it.

Last edited:
OP
MO15Fiesta
Thread Starter #76
Can someone fill me in on the issue with built blocksplease? I've been considering the mountune 1.6L EcoBoost Short Block Engine on Whoosh's site for all the benefits.

What am I missing?
Don't spend money on a mountune engine. It does not solve the factory weak points. The tune+ setup will be where money should be spent once it is available.

OP
MO15Fiesta
Thread Starter #78
You might be right. But, perhaps you should be transparent about your bias when making these recommendations.
Sure. Dropping upgraded rods and pistons in an engine where the cylinder liners are the weak point does no good. Doing the same with upgraded liners (sleeves, like the tune+ engine will have) is the proper way of doing it.

Sure. Dropping upgraded rods and pistons in an engine where the cylinder liners are the weak point does no good. Doing the same with upgraded liners (sleeves, like the tune+ engine will have) is the proper way of doing it.
So the CSS that Mountune has in their MRX long block does not sufficiently strengthen the system?

I have no firsthand experience with any long block upgrades. Genuinely curious. Many people on here have said in the past that a CSS is the way to go for max block strengthening

I know tune+ was trying out some stuff with the 1.5l ecoboost in the new escapes just based on his youtube channel. Any news on 1.5l swaps? I just got my s280 in and while I'm not looking for anything past 280whp (stuck on pump gas) I am preparing for the worst and looking for the best replacement parts in the meantime.