Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Tubular manifold heat shields

dhminer

2000 Post Club
Has anyone with a tubular manifold had a heat shield made for it? My manifold is ceramic coated but still hate the carbon fiber intake being almost on top of it. Options are 1) get a heat shield made 2) put the 2J intake on for track days or 3) switch to the Cobb metal intake and insulate the hell out of it.

Any thoughts or experiences are appreciated

IMG_7039.jpeg

Your concern about heat is legit. To my knowledge, no one makes a shield. I’d wrap the intake runner.

My Airtec is wrapped, and it still melted the wire loom running across the firewall. Luckily, I found it before it melted any wire insulation.

Attachments

ronmcdon

hmm interesting you guys mention this. Im also looking into solutions myself, but for tubular manifold and larger drop in turbo for my evo x (something thats been tested in the evo community but not super popular bc of price)
theres a company called 'Advanced Thermal Covers' out in Irvine, CA who makes more elaborate inconel shields.
It is a bit pricier than heat wraps to be sure, but it gives me some piece of mind that it might be less likely to catch on fire.
I am guessing maybe its closer to 500 to wrap a manifold not including shipping, but yeah I think they will also wrap downpipes and turbo bits as well.
I am sure there may be more local alternatives in your area.

I am looking to use them to wrap my Morris Fab tubular manifold and maybe mitsubishi MHI-18k turbo
Just found out about them a my mitsubishi mechanic Road Race Engineering where they showed my a wrapped manifold, wish I took pics of it.

https://atpwrap.com/alloy-racing-covers/

Attachments

OP
dhminer

dhminer

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #6
hmm interesting you guys mention this. Im also looking into solutions myself, but for tubular manifold and larger drop in turbo for my evo x (something thats been tested in the evo community but not super popular bc of price)
theres a company called 'Advanced Thermal Covers' out in Irvine, CA who makes more elaborate inconel shields.
It is a bit pricier than heat wraps to be sure, but it gives me some piece of mind that it might be less likely to catch on fire.
I am guessing maybe its closer to 500 to wrap a manifold not including shipping, but yeah I think they will also wrap downpipes and turbo bits as well.

I am looking to use them to wrap my Morris Fab tubular manifold and maybe mitsubishi MHI-18k turbo
Just found out about them a my mitsubishi mechanic Road Race Engineering where they showed my a wrapped manifold, wish I took pics of it.

I’ve been looking at similar products. Have seen many reports of success, but not sure I like something directly touching the manifold where it could trap water, oil, or whatever else. Consider me paranoid.

I’ve also been eyeballing this formable shield from Zircotec that I would form and punch holes in to mount with the stock heat shield screws.

https://zircotec.com/products/heat-shields/zircoflex-form/

OP
dhminer

dhminer

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #7
Your concern about heat is legit. To my knowledge, no one makes a shield. I’d wrap the intake runner.

My Airtec is wrapped, and it still melted the wire loom running across the firewall. Luckily, I found it before it melted any wire insulation.
Good to know I’m not alone! Mine melted too.

IMG_7197.jpeg

I wrapped this around my manifold but now im starting to have second thoughts about it possibly catching on fire. Car is still a bit away from being reassembled so Ive yet to be able to test it out. Thoughts? https://a.co/d/4Ow3ppS

Attachments

OP
dhminer

dhminer

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #13
I wrapped this around my manifold but now im starting to have second thoughts about it possibly catching on fire. Car is still a bit away from being reassembled so Ive yet to be able to test it out. Thoughts? https://a.co/d/4Ow3ppS
That’s essentially what I was thinking of doing and punching holes to mount it with the stock heat shield bolts so it’s not directly touching the manifold. Does yours rest on the manifold or stand off?

That’s essentially what I was thinking of doing and punching holes to mount it with the stock heat shield bolts so it’s not directly touching the manifold. Does yours rest on the manifold or stand off?
It rests and is wrapped around the manifold held on with a few metal tie straps. Ill try to get some better pictures of it when i get home from work.

Maybe a slightly off-topic question, but how do you guys like the tubular manifold? What are the main advantages vs the stock manifold?

OP
dhminer

dhminer

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #16
Maybe a slightly off-topic question, but how do you guys like the tubular manifold? What are the main advantages vs the stock manifold?
Theoretically it helps make more power with equal length runners helping with scavenging and sending a consistent flow of exhaust to the turbine. I only have one because that’s all that’s available with my turbo kit.

This stuff is legit, it's how turbo endurance cars can run for 12 or 24 hours without melting down. Also they last significantly longer than wraps