Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Turbo spool sound question

Ok, quick question. I'm between the Hybrid and S280. One question I have is, when you get off the gas and the turbo is spooling down, sometimes you hear that "whine" a it slows. Do both those Rittenhouse have that sound or is it usually just from bigger turbos? I know it's just a minor thing and not anything to do with performance, but I dig that sound.
I'm running Cobb cai, catless downpipe, 2.5" Cobb catback, ( looking to change that), and GFB dv+. Thanks

slopoke

Typically, you hear the "whine" while the turbo is spooling up and building pressure. I don't remember hearing any turbo whine on decel, because the turbo should be slowing down.

In terms of a BOV, If you have a recirc system, you won't hear anything on letting off the throttle, because it's venting back to the compressor inlet. If you have a blow off valve that's vent to atmosphere, you will hear a whoosh noise on letting off of the throttle

All turbos whistle when they spool down. I agree it's a pretty sweet sound, some turbos may be louder than others. I'd assume that sound is louder with larger turbine/housing turbos. The factory turbo does make that sound but it seems to be attenuated by most cat-backs. I've only heard it through Milltek and MBRP exhausts.