Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Turbo Technics S280

Dpro

6000 Post Club
I was told by my tuner to try the stock wastegate, I would think the TS was better, but I don't know what he's looking for in the datalog. As for being in over my head, thats a two-sided coin. While this is the first car I've ever owned with a turbo, so this is all new to me as far as all the extra stuff involved with turbo engines. However, I've torn down complete engines and rebuilt them, 4 actually over the years in various vehicles. So i'm not new to engines and how they work, but I have no experience with turbos. I don't feel like I shouldn't have the confidence in my abilities to work on one, and yet this thing is a PITA. I've checked for boost leaks, replaced the BOV just in case that was bad, all new gaskets and hose clamps, went over the whole intercooler looking for stone damage or possible cracks that might leak, adjusted the Wastegate from 3mm to 2mm in case I was over pre-loaded. I have not had a smoke test done yet, but at this point, I don't really know what else to try. Maybe taking it to a shop would be best for me since I'm not having any luck. I just don't understand how with the stock turbo i was running e30 and had zero issues, all I did was pull out the old turbo and put in the new. Nothing else changed, how could all these possible problems just happen out of the blue? That's why I'm blaming the turbo or the wastegate, thats all thats new ( other than clamps , gaskets, and BOV) I obviously understand this is my shortcomings and probably not the products, I'm just frustrated at this point.
First you should not have backed the wastegate off. The idea is to have 14 psi or above there is wiggle room above not below.
I don’t blame you for being frustrated . Working on cars can do that even with experience.
If your tuner did not even tell you what to set up for monitoring I would consider another tuner. I am just saying.

MagnetiseST

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
The stock S280 WGA will require more WGDC to create the same boost as the TS. So if your tuner has set it to a specific level for your tune, of course it will be less boost. However I recommend that you triple check the vacuum lines for the boost solenoid and triple check the orientation of the BOV adapter. The blow off valve should be pointing towards the hood, not the firewall.

The stock S280 WGA will require more WGDC to create the same boost as the TS. So if your tuner has set it to a specific level for your tune, of course it will be less boost. However I recommend that you triple check the vacuum lines for the boost solenoid and triple check the orientation of the BOV adapter. The blow off valve should be pointing towards the hood, not the firewall.
20210821_131908.jpg 20210821_131903.jpg

Also, just to make sure. The boost solenoid, the side with the plug goes to the turbo, middle goes to the wastegate, hose opposite the plug goes to the bov. That's how mine is set up. That's how I saw it in the installation videos.

Last edited:

dhminer

2000 Post Club
The hose opposite the plug, that goes to the bov, correct? The picture doesn't show a bov, so now you have me wondering. Actually the block that holds the bov, not actually going into the bov.
Correct, that’s your compressor reference. Sounds like you’ve got it right.

dhminer

2000 Post Club
I'm going to bite the bullet and take it to the garage for a smoke test. That at least can rule out a boost leak I might be missing.
I took mine to Ford to smoke test. They didn’t find anything and didn’t charge me. Keep in mind smoke tests are done with very low pressure therefore won’t find tiny leaks.

Jabbit

2000 Post Club
Can anyone tell me where I feed in air to make the wastegate arm extend? Can I feed it in from the vacuum block that gets installed on the intake manifold or do I have to do it another way? I added preload but I'm having a heck of a time putting the arm back on the turbo.

MagnetiseST

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Can anyone tell me where I feed in air to make the wastegate arm extend? Can I feed it in from the vacuum block that gets installed on the intake manifold or do I have to do it another way? I added preload but I'm having a heck of a time putting the arm back on the turbo.
You would need to apply vacuum directly to the nipple on the wastegate actuator.