Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Turbo Technics S280

dhminer

2000 Post Club
I was hitting about 15% lower than what they wanted, suggestion was to add more preload. Originally I was told 19-20 wasn't where they were expecting the tune to be, so add more preload which makes sense. I did once but I think lost track of the amount of turns, was hitting 21. Added 1.5 turns and now hitting 23. Will likely add 1 full turn and should be good.
One full turn should do the trick, but pre-load impacts spool more than it does peak boost unless it's way under loaded.. Once the IWG is cracked open (pre-load) it's all about the WGDC to control how open/closed the flapper is.

Jabbit

2000 Post Club
One full turn should do the trick, but pre-load impacts spool more than it does peak boost unless it's way under loaded.. Once the IWG is cracked open (pre-load) it's all about the WGDC to control how open/closed the flapper is.
Ok I'll go with one full turn. If I'm still seeing 23lbs, I'll take logs and send them anyways. Thanks!

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Ok I'll go with one full turn. If I'm still seeing 23lbs, I'll take logs and send them anyways. Thanks!
Sounds like they are trying to give you a donkey kick on the spool with that kinda of preload. Make it spool up super fast so you hit torque hard and fast. Adam told me 14-20 pounds was fine. I got mine nice and tight at just over 14lbs and honestly love how the car drives
Ever since doing the E30 I have had the down low donkey kick and while its fun it causes excessive TQ steer. Of course I am also at the top of my fueling just enough that I cannot tune without injectors.

It would be interesting to see the Vdyno of your datalogs after your 2nd and 3rd revision.

Jabbit

2000 Post Club
Sounds like they are trying to give you a donkey kick on the spool with that kinda of preload. Make it spool up super fast so you hit torque hard and fast. Adam told me 14-20 pounds was fine. I got mine nice and tight at just over 14lbs and honestly love how the car drives
Ever since doing the E30 I have had the down low donkey kick and while its fun it causes excessive TQ steer. Of course I am also at the top of my fueling just enough that I cannot tune without injectors.

It would be interesting to see the Vdyno of your datalogs after your 2nd and 3rd revision.
I can link to the datazap of my revisions if you are curious. Going to add 1 turn tomorrow and hopefully that's fine. What was your final peak psi once you were done tuning?

Dpro

6000 Post Club
I hit 27-27.8 “peak” psi on 92 octane. Tuned by DIZZY
I can link to the datazap of my revisions if you are curious. Going to add 1 turn tomorrow and hopefully that's fine. What was your final peak psi once you were done tuning?
Around 27-27.8 on E30 and 26-27 on 91 Octane. You basically need fueling to go above that as the stock fuel system starts leaning out above that .

Jabbit

2000 Post Club
Around 27-27.8 on E30 and 26-27 on 91 Octane. You basically need fueling to go above that as the stock fuel system starts leaning out above that .
Ok good to know. I'm hitting 23psi and I don't think 3-4 more psi is going to do it for me. Going to order injectors.

dhminer

2000 Post Club
Ok good to know. I'm hitting 23psi and I don't think 3-4 more psi is going to do it for me. Going to order injectors.
Check Jason’s technical articles. Injector upgrade without HPFP resulted in considerable FRP drop meaning your HPFP is running as hard as it can and still unable to keep up with fuel demands. Only one test scenario but pretty strong evidence against doing just injectors like Adam suggests.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Check Jason’s technical articles. Injector upgrade without HPFP resulted in considerable FRP drop meaning your HPFP is running as hard as it can and still unable to keep up with fuel demands. Only one test scenario but pretty strong evidence against doing just injectors like Adam suggests.
Its an interesting read but Adam also does monitor actual FRP as well. He mentioned he had a a number of injector cars out in the wild now with out uprated HPFP’s. Honestly Its almost a we need to see more data situation. I do know Adam is not the business to blow peoples engines up and he actually suggested to me that if I wanted to tune my e30 tune I would have to get at least injectors. He added I would pick up 30-40 dyno proven wheel HP. I will say my current E30 tune has a donkey kick bottom end like a smaller hybrid turbo that was not present on the pump gas tune. perhaps he reigns things in by dialing that down. Again do not shoot me for saying this. I am just reporting back and truth be told his S280 tunes are pretty damn nice.
Its pretty much him and Dizzy who seem to be the top S280 tuners at this time.

yep; i guess its who you tune through that will ultimately make the decision on whether its safe to tune, or not..

Jabbit

2000 Post Club
What weight of motor oil are people using that are running an S280? Looking to change it tomorrow and looking for advice.

Se7eN

I firmly believe that the only reason Adam requires the use of these actuators is to get the same results out of every turbo. I do not think there is any real benefit to them as far as power goes, when I was tuned by CPE (with an S280) we maxed out the fuel system way before the wastegate actuator.

I will also reserve my judgement on these until TT replies with their belief of what caused the turbo to fail.
I've seen 15-20whp diferences between OEM WG and aftermarket WG on S280 wether it'd be the Tune+ or Whoosh. Just helps maintain power better up high.

Lays

I had to switch over to a TS WG at some point too, I believe it's when we started doing e30 or e40 tuning on stock fuel system. TT WG didn't want to hold past 26-27 PSI. Then whilst installing that I did the 5 bar map, and aux fuel at the same time.

I really want more, but idk what to do next. Not sure I want to drop 15-20k on a fully built engine, g25 550 or 660 with 4 port and XDI stuff to really send it to the moon :/