Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Turbo Technics S280

So from what you guys are saying the Woosh hybrid would spool better on the street than the S280 would? You are considering the S280 a "Big Turbo" in the way it builds power?

VT330R is one of the best track (road course) turbos in the market. That’s not just an opinion, that’s from real cars running real tracks for years without fail and winning trophies. If you haven’t kept up with it, you should see what the team at AET has done. The problem with having too large of a turbo will be re-spooling it coming out of a corner. A good hybrid or one built like the S280 are perfect track turbos. Plus if you go too big, you’ll have a hell of a time getting that power to the ground once it does spool in a light FWD car, especially coming out of corners.

As best I can tell, the S280 took the same concept that the VT330R used and made a completely new turbo whereas the VT used the stock exhaust housing. The S280 should spool good and pull to 7k rpms with enough fueling.
So in your opinion the S280 is more of a track turbo and not as good as a hybrid for the street? It's too big to spool quick at lower rpm?

wetwea33

So from what you guys are saying the Woosh hybrid would spool better on the street than the S280 would? You are considering the S280 a "Big Turbo" in the way it builds power?
The hybrid will spool slightly quicker yes but will have make less power on more boost and create more heat.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

So in your opinion the S280 is more of a track turbo and not as good as a hybrid for the street? It's too big to spool quick at lower rpm?
As wetwea33 said. The whoosh/ x47 will spool just slightly faster that the VT and the S280, but not in a way that will be "better or worse" for the street. I think it is hard to explain unless you drive them. The whoosh and x47 will spool quick and spike and have a higher peak tq but it falls off faster than my VT330R does. The S280 should be the same as the VT in that it will carry the tq flat lined from about 3,500-5,500. These things are really hard to explain until you drive them. The s280 will not be laggy like a big turbo car. You have to remember there are other variables too like timing that can play into how a car spools a turbo. The one advantage you will have on the stock fuel system is that on e30, the s280 will pull to a higher rpm over a whoosh/ x47 with the same fuel system. The x47 and whoosh will still start to die on most setups after 6k, even with aux. i run my VT330R to 7 on meth. thats a power band from 3,500-7k. That's really hard to beat. And don't get me wrong, the turbo will sool down low also. I'm hitting 20 psi by 3,100 rpms and the S280 should be around the same. Honestly, you will love the way the car will drive with that S280. ALSO... you will get better MPGs.

I apologize if I am confusing you by comparing the VT to the S280, but after comparing the two builds, They appear that they should have similar characteristics.

The hybrid will spool slightly quicker yes but will have make less power on more boost and create more heat.

I have a buddy that we installed a rebuilt c39 tuned by Mitch at CPE. That little thing surprised me. Also, Mitch did a hell of a job with the tuning.

Just to be clear... I didn't have to add meth to keep the temps in check. I just needed an FMIC that wasn't a cheap Chinese core. The CPE's Delta Core is keeping up perfectly, as it has been through actual R&D development. The meth is injected post temp senor, thus my charge temps are not influenced by the meth injection. I am actually using meth for dual purposes of cooling and and additional fuel source. I never got around to going aux fuel, so I am still limited by fueling.

As for everyone's comment about blankets, I am running a turbo blanket on my VT330R, along with a heat wrapped manifold and a ceramic coated downpipe. My under-hood temps dropped a good bit. I used a thermal temp gun to test before and after the blanket and wrap. I have this data in a spreadsheet someone on my hard drive.

Are you not still running a Whoosh intercooler?

wetwea33

I have a buddy that we installed a rebuilt c39 tuned by Mitch at CPE. That little thing surprised me. Also, Mitch did a hell of a job with the tuning.
Considering what I paid for it brand new (basically stole it) fully optioned from someone who was afraid to install it, the thing has performed amazing for the 6k miles I've put on it so far. Vdyno shows around 300whp on e30 and ~315 with aux and e50. Peak torque between 3800-4000. I'm just looking for more power at this point without giving up too much spool. When I sell it someone's gonna get an amazing deal for a turbo upgrade.

As wetwea33 said. The whoosh/ x47 will spool just slightly faster that the VT and the S280, but not in a way that will be "better or worse" for the street. I think it is hard to explain unless you drive them. The whoosh and x47 will spool quick and spike and have a higher peak tq but it falls off faster than my VT330R does. The S280 should be the same as the VT in that it will carry the tq flat lined from about 3,500-5,500. These things are really hard to explain until you drive them. The s280 will not be laggy like a big turbo car. You have to remember there are other variables too like timing that can play into how a car spools a turbo. The one advantage you will have on the stock fuel system is that on e30, the s280 will pull to a higher rpm over a whoosh/ x47 with the same fuel system. The x47 and whoosh will still start to die on most setups after 6k, even with aux. i run my VT330R to 7 on meth. thats a power band from 3,500-7k. That's really hard to beat. And don't get me wrong, the turbo will sool down low also. I'm hitting 20 psi by 3,100 rpms and the S280 should be around the same. Honestly, you will love the way the car will drive with that S280. ALSO... you will get better MPGs.

I apologize if I am confusing you by comparing the VT to the S280, but after comparing the two builds, They appear that they should have similar characteristics.
To the contrary, this what is so great about these forums! This is all good information and will help me make an informed decision and I thank you all for your input. There is no substitute for real world experience. So from all the input I would have to draw the conclusion that the S280 is a Medium turbo, between the Hybrids and the BT's. Slightly slower low rpm spool with a strong midrange and top end. Will probably run cooler than a hybrid and my even give better mileage under casual driving or cruise. If at some point I went to bigger injectors (if available) would get more gains than with a hybrid. Would you agree with this statement?

wetwea33

To the contrary, this what is so great about these forums! This is all good information and will help me make an informed decision and I thank you all for your input. There is no substitute for real world experience. So from all the input I would have to draw the conclusion that the S280 is a Medium turbo, between the Hybrids and the BT's. Slightly slower low rpm spool with a strong midrange and top end. Will probably run cooler than a hybrid and my even give better mileage under casual driving or cruise. If at some point I went to bigger injectors (if available) would get more gains than with a hybrid. Would you agree with this statement?
Better milage is up to your right foot. With aux, upgraded injectors are dumb for this platform in comparison, you will be able to make significantly more with ethanol or you could use methanol.

Better milage is up to your right foot. With aux, upgraded injectors are dumb for this platform in comparison, you will be able to make significantly more with ethanol or you could use methanol.

Stock fuel system e30 stock turbo vs VT330R, I get better MPGs with the VT. it’s not constantly spooled and having huge rich tip-ins while driving.

Very hard to get large amounts methanol or ethanol here. Probably will never have any kind of aux fuel due to lack of availability, but bigger injectors are a possibility if they ever become available.

wetwea33

Very hard to get large amounts methanol or ethanol here. Probably will never have any kind of aux fuel due to lack of availability, but bigger injectors are a possibility if they ever become available.
They already are available but they probably aren't worth it for straight pump gas.

felopr

Probably speculation, no one has it and if someone have it, they said they are gonna dyno it but disappear...

jeffreylyon

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
This is a newer offering from a well known manufacturer that seems to have spool and flow characteristics that are well suited for those of us who track and A/C.

What’s with all the shit talk? I’m on a X-47R now and am pretty happy, esp with the spool; I love being able to roll onto the throttle right into boost. If the S280 spools just a tad slower but will pull harder to 7k it seems like a no brainer to me.

If I do go with a BT it will be on a tubular manifold as I’m not willing to give up my torque curve just for HP bragging rights. Also, most of my angry driving is in 2nd and 3rd (4th towards the end of 2 straights) with lots of curves throw in. A BT on a tubular manifold will probably give me another 80 HP over an aux fueled X-47 and (guessing) 30-40 over the S280 at the cost of a peakier torque curve. That doesn’t sound like a no brainer, esp considering that turbo and manifold is over $4k.

Last edited:

Ford Community Posts