Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Turbo Technics S280

MagnetiseST

1000 Post Club
Premium Account

Here are some comparison photos with the stock unit.

Mine is installed and running. I need to see if there is a boost leak later today, but otherwise it runs great, had a little coolant leak at one of the hose connectors, clamp wasn’t tight enough. But so far so good.

I did have to clearance the block a bit, and I HIGHLY suggest you remove the exhaust manifold to install the turbo. It will make your life much easier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Se7eN

Here are some comparison photos with the stock unit.

Mine is installed and running. I need to see if there is a boost leak later today, but otherwise it runs great, had a little coolant leak at one of the hose connectors, clamp wasn’t tight enough. But so far so good.

I did have to clearance the block a bit, and I HIGHLY suggest you remove the exhaust manifold to install the turbo. It will make your life much easier.

awesome shots, also I always recomend taking out the manifold for any turbo

Erick_V

I was trying to be slick, it didnt work out for me.
Did you remove the subframe? I remember seeing on Adam’s video it was fairly easy to do and opened up a lot of room. When I eventually upgrade I’m probably going to do all this on stands so I’m not sure how possible it is to do

wetwea33

Did you remove the subframe? I remember seeing on Adam’s video it was fairly easy to do and opened up a lot of room. When I eventually upgrade I’m probably going to do all this on stands so I’m not sure how possible it is to do
Yeah ur not going to be removing the subframe without a lift. Just pull the turbo and manifold out as one thought the top.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

MagnetiseST

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Yeah ur not going to be removing the subframe without a lift. Just pull the turbo and manifold out as one thought the top.

This^

Also not worth the potential risk of screwing up and messing up the steering. through the top with the manifold is the best way.

Se7eN

And if you need more space (big turbo) just unbolt the chassis bolts from the passenger side engine mount for more movement and space.

MagnetiseST

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
you probably had a hell of a time finding that boost leak
I honestly didn’t know what it could be. I re did the wastegate hoses twice thinking that was the problem. Did all the clamps twice scratched my head for a while, thought about changing the WGA, then looked at the photo posted way back in the thread of the kit put together outside of the car and realized it was wrong.

Technically it wasn’t a boost leak. The solenoid was getting boost in the vent intake line and just kept the wastegate open all the time.

what is different about installing the 280 versus a x37 that you need more room. heck I had no problems coming from the bottom with my 60 year old broken construction work ass doing it four years ago. just asking, boyracer

MagnetiseST

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
what is different about installing the 280 versus a x37 that you need more room. heck I had no problems coming from the bottom with my 60 year old broken construction work ass doing it four years ago. just asking, boyracer
Its got a considerably larger compressor housing casting that makes it unable to clear the axle carrier if put in from the bottom.

MagnetiseST

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
So I have some initial impressions on install and basic drivability, my tune is nowhere near done and I only have one revision finished, I may be a tiny bit biased because I had some expectations that were not met 100% (not power wise or anything like that, just in general of what I thought it would be like)

-There are 0 installation instructions for this turbo kit, nothing comes in the box except the parts, a certificate from TurboTechnics saying that they balanced the turbo, and the warranty card. This led to a complication after I installed the BOV adapter the wrong way around, my WGA kept seeing boost pressure and would stay open.

-Even though TurboTechnics stated that they milled down the compressor cover for clearance, I found that I still needed to clearance part of the block, the fitment was way too close for me.

-The oil drain gasket supplied is not the OE one and I pray it never leaks. In the video Tune+ uploaded it looked OE, so I was under the impression that the fire-ring and gaskets would be OE, neither one was.

-Be sure to install the turbo by removing the stock manifold & turbo as one unit, bolting the new turbo to the manifold, and re-installing as one unit. This will save you a lot of time & headache.

-The clamps supplied are awesome, no need for t-bolts.

-The fitment of the kit, aside from the block clearance, is absolutely perfect. All of my parts lined up perfectly.

-The kit does not come with downpipe studs, I used brand new OEM bolts (I didnt have any ARP studs on hand and have had some poor experiences with them in the past), however the bolts felt VERY tight when tightening them and I pray that these never need to come out. I'm not 100% that they are the same thread pitch.

-The spool on this turbo w/my 2J intake sounds like a boost leak to me, I was super certain I had one, and I didn't. Its not as high pitched as the stock turbo whistle but its definitely different.

-From the limited amount of tuning I've done, it seems like this thing is going to pull super hard when it is done, and it sounds phenomenal up top. My car feels faster on 10psi than a stock turbo stage 3 FiST. I am sure that is not the case but the car no longer falls on its face after 5,000rpm.