Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Turbo upgrade..worth it or not?

Hi everyone,

Glad to be a part of the forum. I would love to hear from some people and discuss modifications. Turbo upgrades, chip? If they do that, what is the best one to get for the price where it won't break me, but will put an insane smile on my face when I drive. Also, I would like to find out what the best interior cleaner is for the dash, a good wheel cleaner etc. I just did the ST OCTANE ACADEMY and if there any homies on here who did it June 13th let me know. It was awesome to say the least. And if there is anyone in montrose Colorado who has a fist hit me up. I know there are a few out there. Until next time. Peace.

Seth

OP
S
Thread Starter #4
I've read a little about the mountune packages. Also if your car is still under warranty, you can only get a FORD performance item so as not to void the warranty. I'm thinking atleast a grand. Just for the kit. Not installation. I've heard it's not that hard to install, but I'm not very mechanical when it comes to cars. Any info you may have would be great. Thank you.

kivnul

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
I think that with the Mountune warrantable packages you have to have a ASE mechanic do all the installation. The Mountune MP215 package does wake the car up a bit and is covered under their warranty. On top of that I would look at getting a Rear Motor Mount (RMM) as the stock one is very squishy and can lead to a lot of wheel hop on launch.

If you do not care about warranty, you have a ton of more options. The Cobb Accessport is the tool most often used to retune the engine to get the performance you need. Unlike the MP215 version, the standard Accessport can use tunes for many different companies and is required if you want to max out your power with either the stock or upgraded turbo.

There are many turbos on the market. Hybrid turbos take the stock KP39 turbo, hone it out and put in new, bigger turbines. Pumaspeed and other companies make versions of these. Mountune sells a upgraded turbo that performs similarly to one of these hybrids. There are also bigger turbos on the market that can be made to fit using kits. These usually require different exhaust headers, downpipes, etc. Keep in mind, the bigger the turbo, the higher the RPM you need to feel max torque (in general).

In order of purchace, for bang for buck, I would follow this upgrade path:
Higher flow stock fitment air filter.
Cobb Accessport
Rear Motor Mount
Upgraded stock fitment intercooler

The above if shopped right should be around $1k.

After that, it can get crazy spendy. And addictive. In order to run a bigger turbo, you need a freer flowing down pipe. If you change out the downpipe, might as well change out the whole exhaust. Now you have problems keeping the wheels on the ground, so might as well upgrade to coilovers and install some braces. Now you need to scrub all that speed so time for bigger brakes.. now you have a hot rod and nobody on the street respects you, so time to get some wing risers, splitters, and tons of stickers.........

good luck!

Edit: changed unwarrantable to warrantable. Stupid spell check.

XR650R

2000 Post Club
I've read a little about the mountune packages. Also if your car is still under warranty, you can only get a FORD performance item so as not to void the warranty. I'm thinking atleast a grand. Just for the kit. Not installation. I've heard it's not that hard to install, but I'm not very mechanical when it comes to cars. Any info you may have would be great. Thank you.
The mountune stuff isn't warranty-friendly anymore. They removed all the stuff saying some of it was. Ford isn't supporting it now.

It's still good, but there's no warranty advantage.

OP
S
Thread Starter #8
Oh wow, ok. Well that sucks. What upgrades did you do to your st? See, I just want to increase the horsepower to 230 if that's possible spending as little as i can. Is that possible and what are my options.? I know ford performance has stuff that is covered in your warranty. I just dont know what's best to get. CATBACK EXHAUST, TURBO...I dont know bro....

Hypergram

1000 Post Club
Oh wow, ok. Well that sucks. What upgrades did you do to your st? See, I just want to increase the horsepower to 230 if that's possible spending as little as i can. Is that possible and what are my options.? I know ford performance has stuff that is covered in your warranty. I just dont know what's best to get. CATBACK EXHAUST, TURBO...I dont know bro....
I'd imagine you can take the car up to 230 without a turbo, Mountune has a package for it (https://www.mountuneusa.com/mountune-MR230-Complete-Performance-Upgrade-p/2364-230-aa.htm) and if that's too expensive, look at the parts included and shop around for cheaper equivalents. I would say that in addition to this you will need a rear motor mount to help with the extra power. MT also has a turbo package that will bring you up to 280hp too if you're interested. Good luck!