Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Turbo went POP

lessard.dcj

1000 Post Club
so on my way into work this morning, i was driving eco-friendly trying to see how good i can get the gas mileage on stg 3. i then heard a slight "pop" from the car and i lost boost. so i pulled over and figured it had to be a boost line that i installed on the Mishimoto IC, but i used T-Bolt clamps... I then proceeded to call work and let them know, then i turned around and limped home to this.

Turbo goes pop and oil.jpg

Notice the oil on the steering rack and there is oil coming from inside the hot side of the turbo... not good im assuming?

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
Jeez...sorry to hear!

So the turbo seal blew? or just a line feeding the turbo? how many miles on your turbo?

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
I had the same oil when I popped the hot side hose off my levels IC I chalked it up to rapid decompresion across the turbo pulling the oil out. Cleaned it up with solvent and put it back together and no issues since. I had the tee bolt clamp twisted so it looked tight but wasn't ..

OP
lessard.dcj

lessard.dcj

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #4
thanks [MENTION=9]rodmoe[/MENTION]. ill clean it up and get a new clamp. the clamp that was on that hose was still the ford oem.
[MENTION=1333]BoostBumps[/MENTION] 46000km/29200miles, no oil on outside of the snail.

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
thanks [MENTION=9]rodmoe[/MENTION]. ill clean it up and get a new clamp. the clamp that was on that hose was still the ford oem.
[MENTION=1333]BoostBumps[/MENTION] 46000km/29200miles, no oil on outside of the snail.
Cross my fingers for you that its the same issue that RodMoe mentioned having...good luck!

OP
lessard.dcj

lessard.dcj

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #6
so, cleaned it up and put a new worm clamp on it. untill i can get into town and buy some more T-Bolts

westcoaST

1000 Post Club
I removed and replaced all of my OEM clamps with Murray turboclamps for exactly this reason. They're pricey, but they do not slip or loosen with repeated cycles. Glad this was easily fixed.

OP
lessard.dcj

lessard.dcj

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #8
gonna find out if its fixed when i go back into work

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
so, cleaned it up and put a new worm clamp on it. untill i can get into town and buy some more T-Bolts
I hope its that simple for you. Quick question where do you get your T-Bolts, been half heartrendingly looking but nothing fell in my lap for a good source.

gonna find out if its fixed when i go back into work
Best of luck, I really hope it's just a hose slipped off or something not too bad. I'm always a little afraid of something like this happening randomly while driving.

OP
lessard.dcj

lessard.dcj

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #11
I hope its that simple for you. Quick question where do you get your T-Bolts, been half heartrendingly looking but nothing fell in my lap for a good source.
seems hard to find around here as well, lucky for me an TSC opened up here a year ago and they have em. bout 5$ each

Had my lower radiator hose clamp fail. Head gasket blew. Never had any check engine lights or high temps. Not sure how the pressure clamp came off, but it wasn't on the hose.