Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Unpleasantness

maestromaestro

1000 Post Club
Ok. So, I installed a Cobb FMIC and an ATP hot side charge pipe (high flow). It all went good for a while, and today, as I was cruising on the highway, there was an abrupt pop, and most of the power was gone. You could hear the turbo spooling really loudly, so I figured that one of the connections came off, and I was running a "naturally aspirated" ST now. Indeed, the boost pressure never got past zero, but, other than the whine and anemic power, the car drove fine.

So, I got home and jacked it up to confirm, and as I stuck my face under the wheel well, I got an unpleasant surprise of oil that leaked down the plastic liner right on my mug. Sure enough, the connection between the pipe and the FMIC came off, but oil??

I will get a closer look when I lift it up tomorrow, but I am hoping that someone smarter than me would explain the oil (where from it came, for instance), and what this all means, in terms of getting things cleaned out. What if I sucked some into the intercooler? The overall amount doesn't look too much, but certainly is non trivial.

Would appreciate a word of advice on the next steps.
[facepalm]

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
Not to worry this is normal when you pop a pipe or hose off under boost and release that pressure you tend to draw the oil across the bearing seal in the turbo for a little bit of time and you know a little oil spill goes a long long way to looking very big and seems to drain forever. Take the pipes off and clean them out with soap and water or some other safe cleaner and dry them very well. nice thing is you popped the one off before the FMIC so it sould have stay relatively clean but you can check it just to be sure by taking the other end off to do a visual and clean rag wipe test for oil residue.. Than after it is dry and clean make sure all hoses are on properly and tight as you think is safe.. At least thats what i did when I did mine and it ran great ever after ..

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
You are seeing could some blow by as well but depends on QTY and if you lost the hose under boost, which sims likely but here is some help on understand blow by for the future with turbos(been reading lots since this in my first turbo).

http://www.sr20-forum.com/informati...ion-fully-explained-turbocharged-edition.html

[video=youtube;3KrSn3BoeLE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KrSn3BoeLE[/video]

What these two said. I had a jammed up PCV on another turbo car that ended up skyrocketing crankcase pressure. The pressure differential made the turbo seals weep oil. Much the same way, a sudden loss of boost grand mal will temporarily bring out some oil. This reminds me to check the replacement PCV hose that Cobb equips their intake kit with. Very pinch prone, sadly.