Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Upgraded turbo just arrived!

Status
Not open for further replies.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
This thread is being locked and cleaned up, see the new thread and keep it to the topic on hand, please and thanks:)

http://www.fiestastforum.com/forum/threads/2839-Modified-stock-turbo-testing-and-results

This thing is going to rock I am sure, I have to get my brake caliper mounts made and here so I can drive the car so in the meantime I will this installed and the engine running at least and other work done so I can start driving the car asap once the brakes are done.

Stock compressor wheel:

Pumaspeed upgraded:

RAAMaudio's new toy, via our very own Sourskittle, once these are tested and proven, it will be a killer $750 mod:

Obviously I will have to build a new intake tube, parts are on the way, there will be an option soon for billet one that tapers right into the wheel which will add a bit more power:)

It will be mounted on this well ported manifold, 3" full flow DP(not necked down at the end) full 3" exhaust, custom intake, big IC, tuned, etc......

Stay tuned for more as soon as I can get it on and running:)

Rick

iso100

1000 Post Club
Oh yes. And this would be an undetectable mod without removing and measuring things.

Of course since the car has been in progress and not driven for many months it still needs to be broken in. And no pre mod dyno for baseline.

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
Yea.... I think you'll do ok Rick ;)
Post the turbine too if you get a chance ;)
For anyone interested...

These are compressor wheels. One in the middle is cast the two on the top and bottom are machined from billet aluminum.

This is a stock cast Fiesta ST wheel "back to back" with other new billet wheel.

This is the fiesta ST turbine wheel/shaft and compressor wheel (nevermind the ecoboost F-150 turbine housing in the back ground ).

This is our stock turbine wheel next to a 17mm wrench

This is a stock td05-14b turbine wheel from a 4G63 that made 190hp from the factory. See how small our turbos are?

This is the new compressor wheel before the compressor housing is machined.

This is the new compressor wheel on the backside of the compressor housing where the housing will be machined for that wheel to go into.

And one more of that 190hp stock 4G63 DSM turbo next to our turbine housing for fun ( turned up, a 4G63T can make 300whp or more on it with mods to the car, but its extremely small by 4G63 standards ).

OP
R

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Thread Starter #9
A fair step up from the PS compressor wheel:)

I was just looking at my options for making the inlet adapter, I have aluminum but the size will be tiny and I can weld steel and have some 2" tubing with nearly the exact inlet diameter. I may make it from steel, just a simple flange with just enough tubing to securely mount a 2"-3" silicone adapter and then 3" aluminum 180 bend and only one or two joints to the air box I will build.

I am going to look for a 2-3" aluminum transition though, if I find one I will have a flange welded to it and welded to the 180 as well.

razorlab

1000 Post Club
Really interested to see the results of that much larger comp wheel on the stock size turbine. I'll be amazed (and excited) if it doesn't get surge-tastic.

razorlab

1000 Post Club
Lol. Rick.... Who called it? I did. Lol
I'm not bashing, I'm just curious. I've tuned combos like this before and some of them tend to surge. Obviously it's also the compressor housing design as well. Hopefully it doesn't and it's a great little upgrade!

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
You could be right. Its un-charted, that's why we are pushing it. I will say though... We've pushed bigger wheels through smaller compressor housings, and surge has not be an issue on newer turbochargers.

Look up some pictures of a stock srt4 turbo compressor housing, then look up a mistu 20G compressor wheel. We had to get creative, but we matched it in and boy it made power. The trade of was lag. We had to trim the turbine back so much that it was mostly a drag race turbo on the srt4, and still only made 415whp. The 50-trim garrett ended up being a better option, but again... When you change EVERYTHING for a different style turbo, it has draw backs (power is not one of them).

Anyway. I'm sure Rick will let us know :)

OP
R

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Thread Starter #14
That is the question but the guy that did the work has a lot of experience and felt it was going to work out just fine but we shall see.

I have to finish up the rear camber change and caliper mounts, hopefully that is done today then off the the machine shop to get the mounts made as soon as possible. Then I will make the input flange and start on the intake but I have a reducer here that I could use and hook up the stock intake for now just to get it running if I run short on time.

Two more fenders to roll as well but the street wheels and tires fit so I can hold off on that as well.

Once I get it running I will just drive and drive and break it in so the real tune can be done as soon as possible.

OP
R

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Thread Starter #15
I will be in the shop getting things done, will check back in here of course but modding and building parts are calling me right now and I am gone! :)

razorlab

1000 Post Club
Just to be honest, 10min before you posted that, I mentioned to Rick I expected some sort of negative post from you.
I don't see my post as negative, nor was that my intention, but can I ask why you expected a negative post from me?

MKVIIST

5000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
Super excited for this. Thanks Rick and Bryan for venturing into these uncharted waters for us.

OP
R

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Thread Starter #19
Exciting times to be sure and glad to be a part of this, thanks to Bryan:)

-------------

OK, this thread is for some fun, lets all get along nicely, we are a team here, the FiST is a rare car, we are a rare bunch, let's all just do what we can to learn from this new road and share it with others.

---------------------

If somethings are not posted it maybe for good reason, exact specs, etc.....I will leave that up to Bryan as this is his idea, connections, etc......

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
I don't see my post as negative, nor was that my intention, but can I ask why you expected a negative post from me?
Agreed I thought it a Fair question as was the one about no baseline and how you know what might have work and what may not have been the best bang for the buck.. I am not bashing I applaud the effort and pushing a low cost option but it is only one of many options and don't take it personally its only the iniernet..
I look at Rick's car like a NASCAR being a STOCK car so much has been done before it even had 500 miles on it how do you know what you changed it from.. With this car only not talking about past cars this car drives like NO other FWD car I have had..
Just saying is all

Status
Not open for further replies.