Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Upgrading to Whoosh or Cobb intercooler

Hey All,
Just picked up a used 2019 Fiesta ST. I'm not sure what upgrades are on it, as I haven't been able to get under the car to check it all out, but from the outside, ram air, wheels and tires, exhaust, have been done. Air intake and intercooler looks stock. Not sure about the RMM, downpipe, or anything else. I ordered an access port to start to playing with it, but am looking to upgrade the intercooler in the next couple months. My question is do you need any kit to put the whoosh intercooler on the fiesta? It looks like other kits come with elbows and clamps. The Cobb is also interesting put priced a lot higher, reading here they seem pretty comparable in performance.
Thanks for any help!
-Jessica

For the whoosh you don’t need anything else. A boost hose kit would be gravy. I’m not sure on the Cobb. I have the CPE which is the model the whoosh V3 is based on. I believe the whoosh V3 / CPE are the largest stock placement type IC’s available.

Everyone will have their opinion on which intercooler is the best. Either way- get one that fits your budget as it is one of the best upgrades for the ST you can make. As for the hoses, pipes- there are arguments that it helps, while others think it's not necessary on a stock turbo. I chose to upgrade all the pipework at the same time on my intercooler as I didn't feel like going back in the future to make any changes if I desired.

SrsBsns

I think most will come with the hardware you need. I have the Depo IC on mine and it installed perfectly and aside from taking the bumper off, was really easy. Only reason the bumper was a pain was because I didn't order swivel extensions to reach the bolts that connect the bumper to the fender.
If you're going to run a tune, I think you're right to install an intercooler.
Two trains of thought:
1. Don't buy more than you need. If you're going to keep the stock turbo, many of the cheaper ones will be just fine. My depo has been great. Charge temps are never more than 8-10 over ambient when I'm driving.
2. If you're planning on upgrading the turbo at some point, buy the right IC or you're going to need to spend more again later.

akiraproject24

1000 Post Club
U.S. Marine Veteran
I would go with the mountune intercooler it has perfect fitment. I actually made a video about this yesterday.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk
I have been researching intercoolers and trying to understand fitment for each one before deciding and your video on the subject alleviated a lot of questions I would have been duplicating on here.
(same can be said for the bov and st200 airbox)

I am curious whether the MAP FMIC fits like they advertised. I could do without perfect if it didn't require trimming the bumper.

Last edited:

haste

1000 Post Club
Still happy with my CP-E after 4 1/2 years and the fins/bars are still in good shape. No modification to the car was required at all for installation.

My buddies Mountune looked trashed after a couple years. The mountune also couldn't hang with the whoosh hybrid and that's why he replaced it. If you have slightest thought that you might be upgrading the turbo in the future, go with an intercooler that can handle it.

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
I have been researching intercoolers and trying to understand fitment for each one before deciding and your video on the subject alleviated a lot of questions I would have been duplicating on here.
(same can be said for the bov and st200 airbox)

I am curious whether the MAP FMIC fits like they advertised. I could do without perfect if it didn't require trimming the bumper.
You can fit probably any of the intercoolers without trimming the bumper if you don't care about the intercooler pushing on the bumper. I wanted true perfect fitment.
The biggest issue with the intercoolers is the center bracket. You don't have to even use that center bracket if you don't want to. I had no desire to remove parts from my car.

I just did a thousand mile trip with my car in the North Carolina mountains pushing the hell out of it. The intercooler had no problems and still looks new.

Do what you feel is right.

Never mind I see you already have an upgraded intercooler. I also believe you say a part was removed.

Last edited:
my biggest hold up on buying an IC is the fitment. Ron had recently told me that neither the V1 or V3 needed any trimming; however, I thought I'd seen a couple folks' posts that they needed to do so.

Pushing on the bumper doesn't seem like a good solution either. What are the long term effects? Does it create a panel gap?

I'm also at a crossroads between the V1 and V3 as I really don't plan to upgrade the turbo as its my DD, the power goes to the wrong wheels, and I'd rather put money towards handling. Nonetheless, the additional CFM and core length on the V3 seems logical.

akiraproject24

1000 Post Club
U.S. Marine Veteran
You can fit probably any of the intercoolers without trimming the bumper if you don't care about the intercooler pushing on the bumper. I wanted true perfect fitment.
The biggest issue with the intercoolers is the center bracket. You don't have to even use that center bracket if you don't want to. I had no desire to remove parts from my car.

I just did a thousand mile trip with my car in the North Carolina mountains pushing the hell out of it. The intercooler had no problems and still looks new.

Do what you feel is right.

Never mind I see you already have an upgraded intercooler. I also believe you say a part was removed.

Yes just found it today. The center mounting bracket that attaches to the crash bar?? where the splashguard would screw in is removed.

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
Yes just found it today. The center mounting bracket that attaches to the crash bar?? where the splashguard would screw in is removed.
You have three brackets that hold on the splash guard. The one in the center gives the issues. It's not going anywhere so no big deal.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Still happy with my CP-E after 4 1/2 years and the fins/bars are still in good shape. No modification to the car was required at all for installation.

My buddies Mountune looked trashed after a couple years. The mountune also couldn't hang with the whoosh hybrid and that's why he replaced it. If you have slightest thought that you might be upgrading the turbo in the future, go with an intercooler that can handle it.
It depends on which Mountune your buddy had. If he had the earlier one( tube and fin) there is no doubt.
In fact that is probably what he had as Mountune sells their Bar and Plate one with the MRX in the full MRX kit now. So it should have no problem hanging with a Whoosh Hybrid. There are guys running MRX’s with it no problem.

I kinda dislike posts like yours because while the first part is great the second part is a lot of assumption without all the facts. Nothing personal but you really should have found out if it was the early which I suspect it was.

haste

1000 Post Club
It depends on which Mountune your buddy had. If he had the earlier one( tube and fin) there is no doubt.
In fact that is probably what he had as Mountune sells their Bar and Plate one with the MRX in the full MRX kit now. So it should have no problem hanging with a Whoosh Hybrid. There are guys running MRX’s with it no problem.

I kinda dislike posts like yours because while the first part is great the second part is a lot of assumption without all the facts. Nothing personal but you really should have found out if it was the early which I suspect it was.
Nope, it's the bar and plate version. I should have been more specific when posting. The black paint had also worn off in several areas and it just looked bad overall. He was seeing charge temps 30f+ higher than ambient. The guy takes care of his cars, too.