Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Uprated axels

Just checking if anyone else might be interested?
I wanted to buy a pair from www.driveshaftshop.com, price would be 800-1000,
a bit heavier than stock since they are stronger(400whp level 2).
Problem is that I need to send them samples, this would take some time from Norway, and shipment cost.
I pay 800$ for OEM pair of driveshaft here in norway so for me its a good bargain for custom driveshafts.

I'm thinking an option could be for med to buy axels in USA and ship them directly to them.
Anyone have broken driveshafts they could send as samples?
Maybe if there were some more interest they would eventually offer them in their webstore.

I'm really not sure if stronger shaft is needed, my left shaft CV joint i think broke(still drivable) after some nasty wheel hops on wet surface.

Anyone know of a parts store that ships OEM shafts international(or domestic)?

OP
V
Thread Starter #3
Yes i remember you broke it on the drag strip. I'm not sure yet if my driver side axel is broken, but it sure has the symptoms, need to investigate more.
Not heard of others breaking axels.
I see driveshaftshop can make rally axels too for additional cost, wonder if they handle the wheel hops.[confused]

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
I've heard from honda guys that wheel hop will break about any axle, and at the sametime, stock axles can handle a lot if they don't wheel hop.
I've heard guys say, "I broke 800hp axles, then swapped on stock axles and changed the height/shocks on the car and never broke an axle again". My broke axle was no doubt caused by wheel hop. Plus, bigger, heavier wheels makes the wheel hop even harder on the axle. My wheel hop was mostly cause by a double problem. #1 my race mount insert on my RRM is worn, the bolt hole is ovaled. #2 the passenger side mount bolt that I broke ( before with wheel hop ) was loose again ( backed out ). And I'm sure the fact that the cv axle boot its self being broken for a couple months pryer did not help it in the wear department. I can tell you.... Ford ant warrantying any cv axles, lol. But the are fairly priced ( at rock auto.com or via ford with a dealer discount ), and they are pretty easy to install ( the easiest axle I've ever installed so far ).

I wouldn't count the axles as a problem just yet. Even if Rick, Rodmoe, or Deadhook/Russ break one with a lot of power, it may have been avoidable with better suspension settings.

Remember... Our car is light. Cars like camaro SS's and stuff break axles because they have power, and a lot of weight ( ....and..... Yes they wheel hop all the time stock ).

Solution ? Don't buy $1,000 axles. Buy #1 grippy street tires ( drag radials if that is your game ), and slicks for the track. Not drag radials for the track or slicks for the street, lol.

My SRT4 had 100's of passes on slicks at the drag strip, and not one single failure ( on slicks ). All 3 times i took it to the drag strip with drag radials, it wheel hopped and I went home on a trailer ( 2 times broken axles and 1 time 3 mount motors broken/sheared ).

A set of small, light-weight slicks sounds a lot cheaper and light years more effective at the track ( and safer ).

If you never plan to get on the drag strip, buy some nitto drag radials NT2's or what ever ( they are supposed to be a drag radials that can take corner fairly well also ).

I've also heard some back things about driveshaftshop. I've heard they put a couple of people on what I call the "cop plan". When you get a speeding ticket, YOU HAVE TO PROVE YOU WERE NOT SPEEDING, the cop can simply just say you were. They did that to a few honda guys. Couple guys broke their 800-1000hp axles with 350-400whp honda engines; and instead of DSS proving they were abused, they wanted proof that the axles were not abused ( ummmm, how the hell do you do that? Lol ). All that could have changed by now, who knows.

There is a place semi-local to me. http://www.cvaxles.com and I emailed them back when i broke my axle, but never got a response.... Its $185 axle, and i'd have 4-5 hours of driving both ways to deal with them in person, and I just didn't think it was worth my effort.

Ok.... Rant/book over :)

OP
V
Thread Starter #5
Nice to read your experience with axels, good info. thanks.

My wheel hops is almost gone with the mounts and the lsd, and i
only had them on wet surface and bad asphalt in 2nd gear.
I think my 215 wide goodyear eagle gs-d3 tires also helps.

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
I don't think your gonna hurt in the wet :) and I think the wheel hop your PROB seeing, its the same crazy dash cracking wheel hop we can see at the drag strip, lol.

DHM1

1000 Post Club
Im sure i will be putting the axles to a test this year. Hopefully they hold up!

Russ