Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Very slight oil burning smell when coming to a stop. Is my list of stuff to check correct?

Hey Clint, do you think the oily smell you got when you had the 2JR intake was precursor of the current problem you have or it's unrelated in your opinion?

OP
Clint Beastwood

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #42
Hey Clint, do you think the oily smell you got when you had the 2JR intake was precursor of the current problem you have or it's unrelated in your opinion?
nah I think that is just the 2j/pcv farting oily air right next to the cabin vent inlet. It gets a lot better if you put some high temp foam between the 2j filter and the cabin air inlet

OP
Clint Beastwood

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #43
So I’m getting a new Evap canister, part on order. Reset my mpg meter and drove oc to San Diego and back and got 18mpg on the freeway. Can evap affect fuel economy that dramatically?

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Has absolutely no impact on fuel economy....it just moves fuel vapors around in the evaporative emissions system.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

OP
Clint Beastwood

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #45
Well they replaced a "vapor management valve" and the associated hose. Before dropping it off I did a loop from Orange county to San diego and back and was getting ~19mpg at freeway speeds. Since I picked it up today, I put ~7 miles on it and the average is already up to 23mpg, and its popping a lot less when decelerating. Didnt' drive it enough to see if being in the care still causes a sore throat.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
I wanna say it's a purge valve as that also "manages" the fuel vapors...I think they are just getting fancy with their nomenclature.

OP
Clint Beastwood

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #48
I did notice that driving the car back from the dealer, I didnt' get the scratchy feeling in my throat I'd been getting lately. It seriously felt like I was breathing uncatalyzed exhaust

PunkST

2000 Post Club
^ thats been my driving experience lately. I replaced the purge valve and canister last year though.

OP
Clint Beastwood

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #50
^ thats been my driving experience lately. I replaced the purge valve and canister last year though.
smell your oil and see if it smells like gas. I don’t think my issue was purge/evap alone, but the car already seems happier, mileage average is still creeping up (all stop and go miles, not freeway) and the frequent popping ( not good/cool popping!) has stopped so far.

PunkST

2000 Post Club
Yes and its stayed the same for me. I went from cruising getting 37 no problem ( its all 55 mph back roads to and from work) to hovering at close to 32 😕.

OP
Clint Beastwood

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #53
Yes and its stayed the same for me. I went from cruising getting 37 no problem ( its all 55 mph back roads to and from work) to hovering at close to 32 😕.
I'm cruising at 38-42 on the highway right now, but since only ~10% of my driving is highway my averages are bound to be low. Even so, with the same driving cycle, my average mpg is up to 22 which includes the previous average of 18.7mpg highway. It's creeping up more and more. I think I still smell some burning oil a little bit even after I steam cleaned it. I think I'm going to change the oil at ~800 miles, as the oil still smells a little gassy and last time I filled up I didn't use my usual oil, I used a synthetic blend (that still met the spec).

PunkST

2000 Post Club
I'll check for a gassy smell here. My car love to be a mystery. It ckuld just be the symptoms of no catch can ever starting to show up.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Is there oil inside the spark plug area in the head by the Coils? Could be a source of oil Burning smell...Food for thought.

OP
Clint Beastwood

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #56
Is there oil inside the spark plug area in the head by the Coils? Could be a source of oil Burning smell...Food for thought.

I'll take a look. Just swapped plugs a few thousand miles ago so perhaps. The weirdest thing was that it was just running *so well*!

PunkST

2000 Post Club
Should just have to pop a coil off and shine a flashlight down there.

OP
Clint Beastwood

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #60
Should just have to pop a coil off and shine a flashlight down there.
With how the car was smelling I wanted to take a look anyways. Hands weren't working this weekend so it's still on the agenda to check 'em when they loosen back up.