Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

VIDEO: Why your FiST really needs that Rear Motor Mount Upgrade

anticon

Well, since this is stickied, might as well un-zombie this and ask if anyone knows how much the stock one was upgraded in '16 or '17? I have a '17 and my stock one doesn't seem too bad, but was also thinking about an insert to help if I'm going to eventually be stage 2...
I think this is the thread with all the changes between model years discussed. If I remember right the 2017 got a different mount. http://www.fiestastforum.com/forum/threads/8687-Mechanical-Changes-Improvements-to-FiST-Through-the-Years

danbfree

3000 Post Club
I think this is the thread with all the changes between model years discussed. If I remember right the 2017 got a different mount. http://www.fiestastforum.com/forum/threads/8687-Mechanical-Changes-Improvements-to-FiST-Through-the-Years
yes, that was the thread, thanks! So ya, for '16 and newer they got stiffer RMM's and some other good changes, only negative stuff was elimination of glove box ambient lighting and manual strap... Anyway, glad I held out for a newer one, looks like they got some very good upgrades! But ya, with my Strat tune at 93 anyway, it's so race-like that I could prob use at least some inserts on the RMM...

I put a cpe rmm on my 17 and it made a huge difference. It made shifting at low speeds much smoother.
I bought a used cp-e rmm (so it was broken in) and had it on my car less than an hour before going back to the stock 2017 rmm. Starting from a dead stop the car vibrated like crazy. Altogether way too much of an increase in noise and vibration for me. I know I had it installed to the correct torque specs because I got them from cp-e. If I change it out again it will be to a Cobb, though the stock rmm is not really objectionable, at least on my 2017.

Last edited:

TDavis

1000 Post Club
I have a 2017 and I'm sure the changes in stiffness of the stock RMM is VERY minimal

danbfree

3000 Post Club
I bought a used cp-e rmm (so it was broken in) and had it on my car less than an hour before going back to the stock 2017 rmm. Starting from a dead stop the car vibrated like crazy. Altogether way too much of an increase in noise and vibration for me. I know I had it installed to the correct torque specs because I got them from cp-e. If I change it our again it will be to a Cobb, though the stock rmm is not really objectionable, at least on my 2017.
You have to research which brand uses which durometer bushings...also, you can request higher RPM idle in your tune to compensate and will be much smoother at idle, a lot of guys have a lot of luck just bumping up to 1,000RPM idle... I think that's the main reason you see hopped up cars with high idle, to smooth out their stiff mounts... Personally I'm probably just going to do inserts for what I'm looking for at lower cost than a new full mount.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
I have a 2017 and I'm sure the changes in stiffness of the stock RMM is VERY minimal
That's probably true but is enough to have been of note anyway... I only have 3k on mine but with these these new Strat tunes I'm already sure I want to beef it up a little bit, hence looking at the inserts... However, looking at the list of upgrades, I'm definitely glad I have a '16 or later. The 33% stiffer torsion bar alone is worth it, I don't get any rear hop steer hitting bumps while cornering compared to my last car that was also a hatchback turbo with rear torsion... That said, heard in another thread that the Pierce front brace helps a lot with traction and torque steer, at only $89 sounds like a no-brainer to do!

TDavis

1000 Post Club
That's probably true but is enough to have been of note anyway... I only have 3k on mine but with these these new Strat tunes I'm already sure I want to beef it up a little bit, hence looking at the inserts... However, looking at the list of upgrades, I'm definitely glad I have a '16 or later. The 33% stiffer torsion bar alone is worth it, I don't get any rear hop steer hitting bumps while cornering compared to my last car that was also a hatchback turbo with rear torsion... That said, heard in another thread that the Pierce front brace helps a lot with traction and torque steer, at only $89 sounds like a no-brainer to do!
Yeah I plan on getting the Pierce front 2 point brace eventually. The AWR 88a RMM I have and I love it.

Damn I didn't realize the problem was THAT BAD.

...Time to go rummage the couches for money lol Gonna have to get one for my FiST and my FoFo

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Damn I didn't realize the problem was THAT BAD.

...Time to go rummage the couches for money lol Gonna have to get one for my FiST and my FoFo
TBF, guy posting above says he's a Ford Master Tech in his signature, he claims that the '16+ RMM is only minimally better... but from having a '13 FoFo SE before, I know they said they used the same crappy ones at the time on the FoST and FiST too, so they definitely upgraded them for '16+, just had to, and they had to make it actually fix a major complaint... Anyway, with that factory upgrade you won't have as much movement as the video shows on an early model, just keep that in mind, but if you are tuned at all I'm sure an upgrade will still definitely help.

I'm having issues with the links to this video. It will not play for me. Is this video still uploaded on YouTube? I'd love to watch it. Thanks!

How about engine vibration and noise with the new motor mount. I replaced mounts on a Mazda Protege one time and noticed an increase in transmitted vibration and and stiffness in shifting that was not desirable.
I installed the 88a durmometer mount and it was WAYYYY too much vibration and buzzing for me and my kid as a daily driver.Changed out the bushing to a 70a and its way better than stock with a touch of small vibration at idle

Just put in a Torque Solutions RMM and the vibration is a lot, but I do notice a difference in acceleration. How long do these take to 'break in' because I am thinking about going back to stock.

I've had my whoosh RMM (street) for a year now, but I haven't put many miles on it (covid and working from home). I haven't noticed any change in vibration. I've noticed the vibration is very temperature dependant. In warm weather it's noticable, but not bad and a worthwhile improvement. In cold/winter weather, there is honestly a lot of vibration. If I was trying to sell the car in the winter I would reinstall the factory mount. On say a 10F day, I wouldn't have believed it could cause so much vibration.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
whats the tightest one?
Any of the 'full race' RMMs (whoosh race spec; Vibra-Technics race, etc.), but they are all but unbearable in a daily driven FiST.

Those, or custom SOLID mounts, but those would most likely result in nerve damage from the vibrations, if used in a daily driver.

akiraproject24

1000 Post Club
U.S. Marine Veteran
I've had my whoosh RMM (street) for a year now, but I haven't put many miles on it (covid and working from home). I haven't noticed any change in vibration. I've noticed the vibration is very temperature dependant. In warm weather it's noticable, but not bad and a worthwhile improvement. In cold/winter weather, there is honestly a lot of vibration. If I was trying to sell the car in the winter I would reinstall the factory mount. On say a 10F day, I wouldn't have believed it could cause so much vibration.
This. When I was running the car over the winter that's when the vibrations were very noticeable. When warmed up and driving, not even noticeable (whoosh street rmm)