Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Warm up Engine Before Driving?

So I came across this article and I'm not sure I agree with it. https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a42013336/winter-is-back-laws-idling-car/

When it gets to ~35 degrees (F) I go out and start my car about 5 minutes before I leave. If I just try and drive, the car doesn't run smooth and feels like its struggling for about 5 minutes. Anyone else have thoughts on this?

So I came across this article and I'm not sure I agree with it. https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a42013336/winter-is-back-laws-idling-car/

When it gets to ~35 degrees (F) I go out and start my car about 5 minutes before I leave. If I just try and drive, the car doesn't run smooth and feels like its struggling for about 5 minutes. Anyone else have thoughts on this?
No issues with mine, I start it when I get in, then spend a minute getting things situated, then take off and drive pretty conservatively for the first 5 min staying below ~1/2 throttle and 3000RPM if possible.

Once it gets below 0F I might give it 2 minutes to warm up as at that point its pretty rough and takes a minute for everything to start moving properly, and if all possible I plug in the block heater below 0F, then it starts just fine like its warm out.

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
We all have our routines, we warm up our cars and always have, the hell with the CAFE numbers, I'll waste the gas, LOL! I've seen way too many newer cars burning oil like the neighbor that warms his LS engine by revving it up like mad for 30 seconds then leadfooting it down the street. 6 year old Chevy smoking already. Then he complains about the "cheap junk" engines today!

OP
Blk16 FiST
Thread Starter #5
We all have our routines, we warm up our cars and always have, the hell with the CAFE numbers, I'll waste the gas, LOL! I've seen way too many newer cars burning oil like the neighbor that warms his LS engine by revving it up like mad for 30 seconds then leadfooting it down the street. 6 year old Chevy smoking already. Then he complains about the "cheap junk" engines today!
:ROFLMAO: Gotta love those guys... but makes sense across the board, guess ill just keep doing it how I have.. If I'm running on time ill run out and start it before leaving, and if not ill just take it easy driving.

gtx3076

1000 Post Club
I’ve been starting and going for years. If I warm up the car it’s for my own comfort. I watch the coolant and oil temp monitors and the car doesn’t warm up adequately in 5 minutes of idling anyway. Even 10 minutes of slow local traffic the oil temps stay pretty low. Steady highway driving brings them up the fastest.

OP
Blk16 FiST
Thread Starter #8
Idling outside in 20 degree weather (this morning) oil temp got to 99 and by the time i got to the 45mph road it was already ~125degrees. I don't get into it until it gets to at least 145. The rest of the year i just get in and go after the RPMs drop to around normal idle

This is a constant matter of discussion up here in Alaska. When I was growing up, our cars were carbureted, so they would literally barely run when it was cold enough- you could put it into gear and it would likely stall. Since then, fuel injection happened, and cars are much better at running when cold.

Reading through the owners manual of my OG SAAB 900 really informed my current practice- start the car, let it idle while I scrape frost and ice off the windows if needed, and then drive pretty mildly until the car is up to temp. While wear is increased when the engine is run cold, the way to maximize the revolutions your car engine turns at cold temperatures is to let it idle. I'm a big fan of plugging in the block heater if it is 20° F or colder- this helps it come up to temp much quicker. Even better is to get a garage. A good quality synthetic oil can help reduce wear as well. If it is really cold, and you didn't plug your car in, yeah, I can see the advantage of letting it warm up a bit if it wants to stall or the HVAC system can't keep the windows clear.

That being said, there are still plenty of folks that insist on using auto start devices. While hopping into a warm car is admittedly more pleasant, you can smell a city of idling SUVs up here on cold days. Its better for your car, your wallet, and the environment to keep idling when cold to a minimum.

FiestaSTdude

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
My little routine is to let the car idle while I get things situated and then drive it gently, trying to stay out of boost until it's around 170-180

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I’ve been starting and going for years. If I warm up the car it’s for my own comfort. I watch the coolant and oil temp monitors and the car doesn’t warm up adequately in 5 minutes of idling anyway. Even 10 minutes of slow local traffic the oil temps stay pretty low. Steady highway driving brings them up the fastest.
When it is cold out in the deep winter (which it feels like now already!), my car will not be up to temp (by the Ultragauge measuring the signal right from the temp sensor, NOT the dash 'bar gauge' idiot lights!) even after 10 minutes of easy driving, so I stay out of boost/heavy throttle for at least 20 minutes of driving time.

Those with very efficient aftermarket radiators installed (let alone 160*-180* thermostats!!), driving in real winter conditions, I cannot imagine that their Ecoboosts are ready for full throttle/max boost after only 5-10 minutes of easy driving.

No more carbs to be fussy, just take it easy and drive it unless you need heat for the defrost.

dhminer

2000 Post Club
I don't remember where I read it, but I recall a lengthy article about warming up your engine or not and the consensus was something like "the best thing for your car is to let it idle down, which takes about 30 seconds, then drive it gently until up to operating temp."

This is how I do the Fiesta. The Mustang, I'll remote start that MF and let it run for 10-20 minutes because it's parked outside and it's cold. Only reason I do this however is because I'll sell it before the extended warranty expires, so I don't care a whole lot. If I was keeping the car forever, I wouldn't do it.

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
I don't remember where I read it, but I recall a lengthy article about warming up your engine or not and the consensus was something like "the best thing for your car is to let it idle down, which takes about 30 seconds, then drive it gently until up to operating temp."

This is how I do the Fiesta. The Mustang, I'll remote start that MF and let it run for 10-20 minutes because it's parked outside and it's cold. Only reason I do this however is because I'll sell it before the extended warranty expires, so I don't care a whole lot. If I was keeping the car forever, I wouldn't do it.
What you have said is exactly what my understanding is about warming up your engine before driving, which is don't do it, instead warm it up by driving it gently until it reaches operating temperature. I do the same thing as you with my ST.
Since we don't have an oil temperature gauge, and since I don't monitor gauges on an AP, my rule of thumb is I drive it for at least 10 minutes before I get on it, maybe a little less in warm weather and a little more in cold weather.

slopoke

For me, in the summer, it takes around 2 miles to get the coolant temps into normal operating range. If it's winter (California Winter 30's to 40's in the A.M) it takes the 2 miles to get to the freeway onramp and then another few miles on the freeway to get into the normal range. So, I just start the engine, let run a few seconds to get the oil circulating, then drive off slowly. No aggressive throttle til the coolant temps are in the normal range. Works for me.

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
I don't worry about it never have. The only time I warm up a car is because the windshield is frozen. I hate wasting gas.

Sent from my SM-A526U using Tapatalk

Dialcaliper

Start and drive is one thing that’s pretty much fine in newer cars.

But usually if it’s actually cold out, it’s more about getting the cabin heat going. By the time your defroster is warm enough to clear the windows, the car is just fine to drive “casually” as long as you can stand to sit in the seats (even heated ones)

Romping at full throttle in a turbo car on a cold engine is another thing altogether. I usually avoid heavy throttle until the car is actually warm. Even viscosity modified oils (like 5W20/5W30) are still thicker at cold temperatures (on an absolute scale vs hot oil) and the turbocharger is more sensitive to having sufficient oil flow than the engine itself, so subjecting it to high loads before the coolant is warm isn’t wise, especially with how hard and fast our tiny turbos spin, especially with aftermarket tunes.

Beyond that there’s not much to worry about, and no good reason to let the car idle longer than necessary for comfort and visibility.