Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Warm-up Throttle Response

I searched around a bit because I remember reading about something like this in an earlier post, but to not avail. I've noticed that with both my 2015 and 2017, as the car is warming up (maybe the first 5-10 minutes or first mile or so) the throttle tip-in is abrupt and jerky, almost like a switch--you're either on it or off it. Turbo seems to be sleeping; I don't get boost until well into the throttle. After about 10 minutes or so, everything goes back to normal. Is this typical behavior for the warm-up period?

kivnul

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
My stratified tune is somewhat this way.. when cold it is hard to keep it out of boost.. makes it jerky (I.E. boost hits at 2.5k rpm when I do not want it to). I have found that the winter/low boost slot does not have this behavior, so if I do not want to fight it I just keep it in that slot until the engine has had a chance to warm up a bit.

I searched around a bit because I remember reading about something like this in an earlier post, but to not avail. I've noticed that with both my 2015 and 2017, as the car is warming up (maybe the first 5-10 minutes or first mile or so) the throttle tip-in is abrupt and jerky, almost like a switch--you're either on it or off it. Turbo seems to be sleeping; I don't get boost until well into the throttle. After about 10 minutes or so, everything goes back to normal. Is this typical behavior for the warm-up period?
My 2017 was not like this when it had the stock tune, and I also have not noticed anything like this with my Stratified 93 or E30 tunes. I agree with kivnul about my Stratified tune building boost fast at low rpms and described in another thread why I drive in an eco slot with limited boost when cold because of this. But that is a different question than the one you have asked about.

Last edited:
OP
Maxpowa
Thread Starter #4
My 2017 was net like this when it had the stock tune, and I also have not noticed anything like this with my Stratified 93 or E30 tunes. I agree with kivnul about my Stratified tune building boost fast at low rpms and described in another thread why I drive in an eco slot with limited boost when cold because of this. But that is a different question than the one you have asked about.
Thanks. I forgot to mention I'm stock except a CBE. Just wanted to make sure my turbo was okay and that the CBE didn't mess with it or something, but then again it had this sort of behavior even before the CBE was installed.

My 17' is a little goofy like that when its stone cold in the morning. It acts normal after I drive a couple hundred yards. It was more noticeable on the stock tune and when its really cold outside (sub 20 degrees). I usually let the car warm up to at least one bar on the dash before I drive off.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
All stock, can't say that I've noticed this on my '16 but I'm aware that any cold engine is going to behave at least a little different versus a warm one. From a mechanical standpoint, your lubrication and blow-by is going to be different when running cold. The engine is going to generate less power. Even though it has 10.1/1 compression, it is still only a 1.6L and has to avoid knock/ping while generating decent emissions. That's one thing I noticed about the 2.0L engine in the Focus ST... it's able to stay out of boost significantly longer due to the 20% increase in displacement. (base weight difference is ~12%)