Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Washing machine + AP = ?

Truth in Ruin

1000 Post Club
So, my wife washed my Cobb AP (bless her heart for doing my laundry). I have the AP sitting in a bowl of rice. I currently have Stratified’s 91, 93, and E30 tunes installed on-the-fly. I hope the AP will recover from this. I’ll keep you guys posted on how it turns out.

RubenZZZ

1000 Post Club
So, my wife washed my Cobb AP (bless her heart for doing my laundry). I have the AP sitting in a bowl of rice. I currently have Stratified’s 91, 93, and E30 tunes installed on-the-fly. I hope the AP will recover from this. I’ll keep you guys posted on how it turns out.
Good luck. I'd be bummed myself. But rice can do wonders.

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

green_henry

1000 Post Club
o_O bummer, man. My wife has "compromised" some of my stuff before, but I can't complain -- as you said "bless her heart for doing my laundry" I hope for a full and speedy recovery!

Intuit

3000 Post Club
The bowl of rice myth is quite popular.

Speaking in general, if it has a battery, the best thing is to remove it A.S.A.P..
Once all power is removed from the device, disassemble and dry it out with moving air. (such as a fan)
It's the gaps and places you can't necessarily see, that take the longest to dry out. So take it apart s much as is reasonable in order to effectively dry the device.

After drying for at *least* a full 24 hours in moving air, check for and remove any hard water deposits and debris (including chemicals) left behind by the water. 90% isopropyl rubbing alcohol can be an effective cleaner. However if the board has a protective coat against water, (which is rare,) the alcohol may remove or damage that coat. Rubbing alcohol may damage some components, such as flexible PCBs; so its use should be carefully considered.

Inspect the battery and replace if swollen, leaking or damaged.

Try to power up and test device. Corruption can make it necessary to reset it.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Door locks would be changed.......house address changed.....New cell number and My BAEs shit would be on the curb being picked over by the neighbors before she even got home the following day. Good luck Bud! Hope the rice works though...you could always buy some desiccant bags off amazon and put it into a sealed container and let it sit.

Door locks would be changed.......house address changed.....New cell number and My BAEs shit would be on the curb being picked over by the neighbors before she even got home the following day. Good luck Bud! Hope the rice works though...you could always buy some desiccant bags off amazon and put it into a sealed container and let it sit.

So your saying a simple [smackbum] wouldn't be enough , but would go a little more drastic [bash] [boxface] [gunfire] and then possibly end up on the lam in another country with your FiST [twothumb] [driving] [doorpeek]

It's hard to put a price on consistent clean and folded laudatory. TC is a smart man. I would act distressed a little but play it up for bonus points you will inevitably need one day.

As long as you didn't try to power it on you will likely be ok. If you tried to power on the device is most likely toasted.

Contact cleaner is an excellent idea and 90% isoprop is also a good idea.

Best of luck sorry to hear about you tuner man :(

As a side note, my wife washed my key fob (My fault for leaving it in my pocket, I never do that. And my fault regardless, as I like clean laundry as well). Removed the battery and let the circuit board dry for a few days. Put in a new battery, and it worked fine, but now the battery only lasts for about four months. I hear that is common. Don't wash your key!

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Plugged it in for the first time yesterday... Works like new!
Lucky you! You should still open it up and check for corrosion after a few more days. Check for what looks like mold (galvanic corrosion) forming on some of the copper/gold colored tracings and anywhere solder goes to copper. Luckily an AP doesn't have a screen digitizer or much in the way of intermittent surface contact interfaces (like an SD card), but you might still need to worry about corrosion from cable to access port. If you do get a little bit of oxidation (where the contacts turn dark) you can usually clean them with a new/clean pencil eraser. If she used fabric softener you might have to worry about the oil leading to display layer separation or compromising the display's LVDS cable, but with a non-touchscreen the display is probably a sealed module instead of open layers.

Sometimes all it take to prevent connector corrosion is to unplug/replug several times, so if the AP gets "iffy" when plugging it in you can connect/reconnect several times.

Quisp

1000 Post Club
My screen is jittery and goes out intermittently now. I think the Florida heat took it's toll. Cobb said $35 to replace.

Sent from my SM-J727P using Tapatalk

OP
T

Truth in Ruin

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #19
As a side note, my wife washed my key fob (My fault for leaving it in my pocket, I never do that. And my fault regardless, as I like clean laundry as well). Removed the battery and let the circuit board dry for a few days. Put in a new battery, and it worked fine, but now the battery only lasts for about four months. I hear that is common. Don't wash your key!

OP
T

Truth in Ruin

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #20
Haha too late, I washed my fob from my 2016 FiST, too. It worked just fine afterwards with no problems, fortunately.