Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Wastegate Actuator Rod Adjustment

westcoaST

1000 Post Club
Thanks Sourskittle, I've got a huge deadline to meet with Boeing SLS. I was hoping someone else could answer OP's post. You even have photos which is better than my sketches would be. Almost done with my mountune e40 tune. I'll post some vdynos in my build. Much faster than my Cobb stage 3 tune.

OP
timmytoast
Thread Starter #23
Sourskittle, thank you so much!! Everyone else as well! I'm very new to all this, especially forced induction. I feel confident enough now to check this all out myself and fix anything that may be wrong. Last (hopefully) question: are the nuts on either side of the wastegate are supposed to be tight against the wastegate arm after I adjust them?

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Make sure the boost solenoid is plugged in. Also, if you do unplug it intentionally the car will run WG only. If you're not seeing 5-10psi, it's ill-adjusted.

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Sourskittle, thank you so much!! Everyone else as well! I'm very new to all this, especially forced induction. I feel confident enough now to check this all out myself and fix anything that may be wrong. Last (hopefully) question: are the nuts on either side of the wastegate are supposed to be tight against the wastegate arm after I adjust them?
Yes. They should be tight. Also, make sure you have the clip. It prevents vibrations from loosening them up. If your mechanic lost them, you'll need to find a way to secure those nuts. And invention with some safety wire would do.

OP
timmytoast
Thread Starter #26
Make sure the boost solenoid is plugged in. Also, if you do unplug it intentionally the car will run WG only. If you're not seeing 5-10psi, it's ill-adjusted.
Boost solenoid? Like I said, I'm new to all of this.....
Yes. They should be tight. Also, make sure you have the clip. It prevents vibrations from loosening them up. If your mechanic lost them, you'll need to find a way to secure those nuts. And invention with some safety wire would do.
So 2-5mm of thread showing, both nuts tight on each side, use retaining clip (or safety wire if clip went missing). Got it. Thanks all!!

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
Boost solenoid is the black box with the hose lines and wires coming off of it in SS pic the other black box is the BOV it only has wires going to it .

OP
timmytoast
Thread Starter #30
Ok, the black box, got it.

I'm familiar with the BOV as mentioned by [MENTION=9]rodmoe[/MENTION] as I have installed and removed a BOV spacer on my car and installed one on a friend's car yesterday.

I want to say thanks again to everyone that has been helping me with this. I really, really appreciate the sharing of knowledge from you all!!

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
It's why we are here or at least I am.
I want everyone to have fun and maybe learn something to pay forward someday :)

OP
timmytoast
Thread Starter #32

Here's what I found. More than 5mm but it was said if that was the case the car would be OK.

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
Not sure if it matters but I went and measured my bone stock never touched but to remove turbo and it was about 11mm as the turbo is sitting in the basement it is rather easy to measure it..

OP
timmytoast
Thread Starter #35
I tightened in up a bit more than how it was in the pic I posted. It now looks closer to the pics Sourskittle posted.

OP
timmytoast
Thread Starter #36
Boost is back!! I'm getting that nice surge again right as the turbo really begins to spool and boost!!

THANKS TO ALL FOR THE HELP, GUIDANCE, AND CONFIDENCE!!!

Question about this... I feel like I have the same issue. Almost like turbo lag. The turbo seems slow to build boost. Itll build to 21.5-22lbs but its the low end turbo spool lacking. When I shift gears when accelerating at a slow to medium pace the lag is pretty bad. Getting back onto the gas after a gear change there is a good solid second before the turbo spools again. Only way to not have this is to shift under decently heavy throttle over 4k.

Is it possible to have the waste gate bolt come misadjusted from the factory or to "work loose"? I run cobb OTS stage 1 91 octane.

Disclaimer... never owned a turbo car, so maybe this lag is normal, just used to instant throttle with N/A cars...

OP
timmytoast
Thread Starter #40
This is normal for a turbo car. The FiST doesn't start really making boost until around 3K rpm.

As for the waste gate bolt, there's no way that it worked loose. It has a retaining bracket on it to keep that from happening.