Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Wastegate Actuator Rod Adjustment

Ok thanks, having never driven one its hard to know what's normal and what is not. I consider myself a decent DIY mechanic and good around a car but know nothing of how a turbo system works. Need to hit the books on this. I'll just work on making sure I shift at a bit higher rpm. That seems to solve it. Shifting before 3k into 2nd makes it fall on its face a bit before it spools

OP
timmytoast
Thread Starter #42
Yes it does. The car revs to 6500 (or 7k with a tune) so don't be afraid to run the gears a little longer and keep the car in the boost range.

haste

1000 Post Club
I really hate 1st gear in this car. I also figured out going a little higher in the revs in 1st definitely helps with 2nd gear. I'm used to my '02 Focus SVT which can do 42mph in 1st gear...

I made sure to give some extra revs driving home. 100% better each time. Still learning a stick so all these little tips help. Thanks guys.

Is this something that can be adjusted on the car, or does the turbo need to come out to get to it?

westcoaST

1000 Post Club
Is this something that can be adjusted on the car, or does the turbo need to come out to get to it?
You will need to remove the heat shield, and then you can adjust the rod after pulling the clip that is on the adjustment rod nuts. The heat shield is a real pain to remove.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

You will need to remove the heat shield, and then you can adjust the rod after pulling the clip that is on the adjustment rod nuts. The heat shield is a real pain to remove.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
OK, I've had the heat shield off once before. Thanks for the reply.

Spaceman_Spiff

I'm running the Cobb OTS Stage 3 tune. After getting the downpipe installed and flashing to the Stage 3 tune, it felt like I lost some boost, as I mentioned. This seems especially true after being told my wastegate might be out of adjustment.

For the 2-5mm are you referring to were I'm indicating in the picture I drew?
Based on that, does it look like mine has a bit too much? Will this keep me from building boost?
WastegateOEM.jpg
I haven't gotten the heat shield all the way off yet (I'm pretty sure I just worked around it for my downpipe). If it needs adjusted, then I guess I'm gonna have to figure out how to get the shield off...

Quisp

1000 Post Club
That's about where mine is. I believe if it had less preload you would lose boost. If it was to tight throttle closures would take effect to control the effect of overboost.

It's easier to adjust from the top (hood) but you have to remove the cowl, crossover pipe, and heat shield. Unless you want to try adjusting it from the bottom and let us know how it went...😁

It's easier to adjust from the top (hood) but you have to remove the cowl, crossover pipe, and heat shield. Unless you want to try adjusting it from the bottom and let us know how it went...😁
I did it from the top... damn heatshield I understand why everyone says it is a PAIN to remove. I'm probably going to cut it and reinstall with something to make it easier to remove.

I've had my tuned twice now once with 93 and was told everything was set good but only made power to 23psi on my x47r. Any more boost made no more power. I added methanol injection thinking maybe the fuel was the problem. Went back for another tune got it to 25psi but only made 17hp more then the 93 only tune. There telling me the turbo is out of air flow. the only reason I got the 17 hp increase was with timing. Now if I look at my print outs I can see boost build 25.2 and drop significantly to redline maybe 21psi. When I bought the turbo it came with the actuator on and I never checked the preload. Think its too loose and the higher the rpm the more air pressure is blowing the gate open?

Attachments

I've had my tuned twice now once with 93 and was told everything was set good but only made power to 23psi on my x47r. Any more boost made no more power. I added methanol injection thinking maybe the fuel was the problem. Went back for another tune got it to 25psi but only made 17hp more then the 93 only tune. There telling me the turbo is out of air flow. the only reason I got the 17 hp increase was with timing. Now if I look at my print outs I can see boost build 25.2 and drop significantly to redline maybe 21psi. When I bought the turbo it came with the actuator on and I never checked the preload. Think its too loose and the higher the rpm the more air pressure is blowing the gate open?
Would probably recommend to visit a turbo expert with dyno and tune knowledge. I was in the process of a custom Dizzy tune and wasn't able to build boost with a brand new Ford OEM turbo. Jason even refunded me part of the money, somehow the tune wasn't building boost properly but with OEM and OTS maps everything was fine. We checked everything, wastegate, valve, engine compression, boost leak test and never found the problem.