Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Weird transmission sounds, finally caught on film

OP
Clint Beastwood

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #22
I swapped plugs at 6k and 18k, I figure I'll just swap them every other oil change (since I change pretty frequently).
After I take my car into the dealership for the grinding and slapping I'll do a fluid swap. After reading the ravenol threads, people only make that big of a deal about a fluid swap if it's basically life changing and I wanna try :p

Spork1569

I swapped plugs at 6k and 18k, I figure I'll just swap them every other oil change (since I change pretty frequently).
After I take my car into the dealership for the grinding and slapping I'll do a fluid swap. After reading the ravenol threads, people only make that big of a deal about a fluid swap if it's basically life changing and I wanna try :p
The difference is pretty amazing right off the bat. Not sure if you've done any transmission mods but combined with the bushings, plate, and shift lever the feeling is night and day from stock.

FiSTerMr

1000 Post Club
Wow, why change plugs so often?

2017 w/Recaros - bone stock

+1 on trans fluid, the noise doesn't sound alarming or catastrophic imo. Drained and filled with ravenol and smoothed everything out. 83K on mine and as far as I know and the carfax state its the original trans and clutch.

MagnetiseST

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Just a thought: the DMFW might be failing. My boyfriends car took a shit last week, its transmission related. Initially we thought it was the 3 & 4 synchros, but the car jerks even in neutral with the clutch pressed. Going to disassemble tomorrow, and I can post results. But his car was making a clicking / clunk noise for a long time that progressively got worse and now this. I said I wasn't going to inspect it until it broke and now I have reason to!

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Just a thought: the DMFW might be failing. My boyfriends car took a shit last week, its transmission related. Initially we thought it was the 3 & 4 synchros, but the car jerks even in neutral with the clutch pressed. Going to disassemble tomorrow, and I can post results. But his car was making a clicking / clunk noise for a long time that progressively got worse and now this. I said I wasn't going to inspect it until it broke and now I have reason to!
Mileage of the Vehicle? Mods?

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
60k Miles. Full bolt ons, only "transmission" mod is the mountune shifter. Its been rattling since about 45k miles, and this car is NOT driven lightly. It is abused pretty regularly.
Gonna do an LSD while it's down and out?

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

FiSTerMr

1000 Post Club
The difference is pretty amazing right off the bat. Not sure if you've done any transmission mods but combined with the bushings, plate, and shift lever the feeling is night and day from stock.
I switched the trans fluid over to ravenol 75w-80 at 20k after I was getting lots of drivetrain noise and heavy whining. It took all of that away. My fluid was shot at 20k. Do it. It's easy and it may prevent further damage
... Drained and filled with ravenol and smoothed everything out. 83K on mine and as far as I know and the carfax state its the original trans and clutch.
A question for all 3 of you (and anyone else that swapped to Ravenol): did you guys use the Ravenol 2 or the Ravenol 3?
Thanks [emoji106]

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
I have been running the MTF-2 75w80 since I had my trans replaced under warranty @ 25k now I'm at 60k. Did a write up also on it....Put the full 2qts in not 1.6 as the manual had said in older models.

FiSTerMr

1000 Post Club
Thanks guys. I have been meaning to swap out the fluid to Ravenol since last year (currently on swapped oem stuff, 2L). Gonna put an order in this week.

OP
Clint Beastwood

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #36
Hanging out at dealership waiting for my assigned tech to come in. Since its a continuation of a previous repair, I have to do a ride-along with the tech and demonstrate the issue. Once they confirm the issue I'll grab a rental and take off. :fingers crossed:

I have noticed that when hot, the "slapping" after shifting when the clutch engages (dmf clutches I'm guessing?) is getting steadily louder. I can hear the sound bounce back off of cars driving next to me now. Confirmed they filled my trans with fresh/new fluid roughly 5k miles ago. Test drove another FiST and the post-shift slap is MUCH quieter, and the "out-of-gear-clutch-out" whirring/grinding sound when rolling to a stop was not there. The stock FiST was *much* quieter driveline-wise than mine. I'm also starting to hear a bit of whine in third and fourth gear under partial load. Not under heavy load, and not unladen, but partial "maintaining speed" throttle.

After a dealership does service, the factory service process specifies a 2L fill, not the original factory "not enough" fill, right?

OP
Clint Beastwood

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #37
Hanging out at dealership waiting for my assigned tech to come in. Since its a continuation of a previous repair, I have to do a ride-along with the tech and demonstrate the issue. Once they confirm the issue I'll grab a rental and take off. :fingers crossed:

I have noticed that when hot, the "slapping" after shifting when the clutch engages (dmf clutches I'm guessing?) is getting steadily louder. I can hear the sound bounce back off of cars driving next to me now. Confirmed they filled my trans with fresh/new fluid roughly 5k miles ago. Test drove another FiST and the post-shift slap is MUCH quieter, and the "out-of-gear-clutch-out" whirring/grinding sound when rolling to a stop was not there. The stock FiST was *much* quieter driveline-wise than mine. I'm also starting to hear a bit of whine in third and fourth gear under partial load. Not under heavy load, and not unladen, but partial "maintaining speed" throttle.

After a dealership does service, the factory service process specifies a 2L fill, not the original factory "not enough" fill, right?
ahaha - liker your name is foodtruck, thats rad.

OP
Clint Beastwood

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #40
I have been running the MTF-2 75w80 since I had my trans replaced under warranty @ 25k now I'm at 60k. Did a write up also on it....Put the full 2qts in not 1.6 as the manual had said in older models.
I was creepin on your profile and saw you had your trans replaced for being under-filled - what were the symptoms that lead to your trans replacement?