Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Weird transmission sounds, finally caught on film

FiSTerMr

1000 Post Club
Indeed it did.

The transmission is being sent to LKQ as a core for the new one that is coming. It’s a shame it happened at 61k. No more warranty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Were are you on the stock fluids at the stock level?

2017 w/Recaros - bone stock

FiSTerMr

1000 Post Club
Nope. It had two quarts of Motul 75w90 in it.
Ahh, that's the 300. A thicker sauce than most seem to use as of late. What is your opinion of the stuff overall, are you gonna go back to it with the new trans or try something else?

MagnetiseST

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Ahh, that's the 300. A thicker sauce than most seem to use as of late. What is your opinion of the stuff overall, are you gonna go back to it with the new trans or try something else?

Im gonna buy the motul DCF or just get Ford fluid tbh. We only put it in because thats what we were given. I dont know if that was cause of failure, but it is noticeably thicker

Nope. It had two quarts of Motul 75w90 in it.
I used the Motul Gear 300 for a week before changing it to the Motul DCTF. The 300 was thick, and I would grind gears under heavy load, fast shifting. Even up to temperature it was difficult for me to find gears during spirited driving. I can't prove it, but the transmission felt hotter with the 300 in it. I'm about to try the BG Syncro Shift 2, 75w-80 and will capture some temperature numbers comparing the Motul DCTF and BS Syncro Shift 2.

I'm happy with the Motul DCTF and would highly recommend it, but I DO NOT recommend [gunfire] Motul Gear 300 .

Warranty manual says you should change the transmission oil after each track day to maintain warranty (or I believe something like 75K miles). I would guess most of us drive aggressively safe, and put a lot of load on our transmission. One hard drive in the mountains would do it for me. I think every 5-10k is a good interval for fresh transmission fluid for the driver you has fun.

I’m coming up on my 10k mark since switching to Ravenol, I’ll drain and fill and see how it goes. Still shifts fine but I don’t mind spending 50 bucks every now and then to not have to replace a tranny

OP
Clint Beastwood

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #89
Just waiting for all my stuff to come in. Because they blamed it on my brakes, I ordered all new rotors and pads, the ravenol, and the mini beer-bong funnel. If it fixes everything great, but I know the sound of a "not-smooth" bearing when I hear it. Existing brake parts are still pretty new but whatever.

Last edited:

FiSTerMr

1000 Post Club
Just ordered 2 liters of the Ravenol. My only concern was which to get, mtf-2 or 3. I ended up getting the mtf-2. I tend to fear anything outside of stock specs. The 3 more maligns with the stock stuff, but the 2 seems to be the better performer.

FiSTerMr

1000 Post Club
Ok, Ravenol in. It doesn't feel much different than the stock fluid, but I wasn't having any issues per se.

The only thing that I didn't like about the stock fluid was when the car was good and warmed up after a lot of driving it felt a little more finicky popping it into first, but I attribute that mostly to the reverse lockout being right next to first.
Perhaps it's a little smoother when warmed up, but hard to tell. Either way good to get the old fluid out... I swapped OEM for OEM at 6500 miles; at 12k now, and of course it came out darker than when I put it in, but felt fine between the fingers. Nonetheless, it's good to have some fresh clean fluid.

Oh, and I hate their bottle design. I guess the built-in extend-a-piece is good if you use it, but if you choose not to and want to open it like a regular bottle, it's near impossible. I had to use a screwdriver to the stretch the cap to get it around the teeth that prevent you from twisting it off easily.

OP
Clint Beastwood

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #92
I swapped the ravenol in yesterday. 1.56 liters out 2.00 liters in. Less clunky between shifts, but the grindy noise on decel
is still there.

koozy

3000 Post Club
Fluid changes can’t undue wear/damage. If noises are present that are attributed to the damage it’s too late, the damage is done. All a fluid change can offer is possibly extending the life of the gearbox.

This is one maintenance that should be checked as soon as one takes ownership. Very much like checking the dipstick for proper engine oil level, the gear box on this car needs the same attention especially when new from the very first few miles.

Sent from my iPhone

Last edited:
OP
Clint Beastwood

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #94
Fluid changes can’t undue wear/damage. If noises are present that are attributed to the damage it’s too late, the damage is done. All a fluid change can offer is possibly extending the life of the gearbox.

This is one maintenance that should be checked as soon as one takes ownership. Very much like checking the dipstick for proper engine oil level, the gear box on this car needs the same attention especially when new from the very first few miles.

Sent from my iPhone
I’m surprised that after the dealership worked on the gearbox twice, the fluid was still so low.

koozy

3000 Post Club
Because they’re probably going by the book. Not every tech, dealership service, etc. is on the up and up for every vehicle they may work on. If they’re just following procedures and if it’s not documented, it’s beyond the techs circle of knowledge.

Enthusiasts here know, because we eat, sleep this stuff.

Sent from my iPhone

Last edited:
It’s a gamble buying this car used since I can’t think of any seller that would let you “check” the trans fluid same as plugs or compression test. Makes that test drive much more crucial and is why I thoroughly read about a platform before buying it.

Buying new though you shouldn’t have these issues, I can never think of a time I didn’t check the oem manual when performing a repair. Unfortunately, techs cutting corners to get jobs done is too common.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Any garage will do a pre-purchase inspection and additional Tests if asked. If the dealer or seller will not let you take it to get an independent inspection....walk away as that is the First warning shot across the Bow of the sinking money into your car ship for the rest of its ownership by you.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Any garage will do a pre-purchase inspection and additional Tests if asked. If the dealer or seller will not let you take it to get an independent inspection....walk away as that is the First warning shot across the Bow of the sinking money into your car ship for the rest of its ownership by you.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk
Any reputable seller definitely would for sure, I just haven’t meet them often. I’ve just known what to look for which is I haven’t been burned making a purchase (knocks on wood)

koozy

3000 Post Club
I agree, under normal circumstances you wouldn’t need to check trans fluid levels off the lot or used, but for the FiST it’s best and you would know this as an enthusiast who scours every little detail about the car.

Sent from my iPhone

Ford Community Posts