Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Weird transmission sounds, finally caught on film

FiSTerMr

1000 Post Club
Went out on an extended drive just now. I don't feel much of a difference when shifting, but the drivetrain definitely sounds quieter now. For that alone, Ravenol mtf-2 is a win.

I think most people feel a bigger difference when they switched to the ravenol from the factory fill.

I think it's more about the fresh fluid and getting it up to 2 liters than anything else. When I had the factory fill, I was occasionally denied 3rd gear on quick down shifts. That went away with 2 liters of fresh OEM fluid.

2017 w/Recaros - bone stock

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Nearing 50k.

My clack noise on clutch release after a shift hasn't much changed. Still inconsistent in terms of when it's louder or quieter.

There is a rattle noise if sitting at idle with foot off of clutch. Disappears so long as the foot is on the clutch pedal. Doesn't matter how far it is depressed, there just needs to be some pressure on it. Previous car did that for most of it's life until I sold it at 327k for structural rust. Never any issues. I was guessing that was throwout bearing rattling on the shaft.

Maybe it's two issues, but my original guess was slop in the dual-mass flywheel; now suspect the slop is on the input shaft.

Never any shavings in the two changes done but haven't peaked at any magnets. (haven't bought a USB bore cam) Both changes were done with Full Synthetic Castrol SynTrans TransAxle 75W-90. The second was only done because the garage needlessly replaced the axle shafts, trying to guess at the clack noise; after which they stuck the Motorcraft 75w-80 back in there.

In any event, I'm not worried about it at all. I have no reason to expect anything will fail. Engine is turning stock power. I'm not pulling anything apart until there's some reason to expect that something will fail. Only then will my guesses transition to useful knowledge.

haste

1000 Post Club
I had the same rattle at idle with the clutch engaged. I installed a "new" transmission, clutch and pilot bearing but, reused my flywheel. The original transmission had much more play at the input shaft than the "new" one I replaced it with.

The transmission I replaced was original and had about 84k miles on it. It didn't have any issues other than a little noisy. The only reason I replaced it was for the performance upgrades in the "new" transmission.