Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Well She is Down Hard Now!

airjor13

2000 Post Club
It's really this hard to do change the downpipe? I don't even want to waste the money on one if all this stuff is going to happen.

Kinda sucks because I want the extra power from the downpipe but I don't want to break or have to replace anything.

And I'll be having a shop install it. So I'm even more worried. Not because I don't trust them but I just don't want them to run into any problems.

I wonder why they made it so hard to switch them out. At least the exhaust seems to be an easy installation.
It is really not too difficult to do the DP, just need good preparation, patience and time as with many things in life LOL. But the thing is its never going to be a sure thing 100% its gonna be fine, nothing is going to go wrong. That is just not possible when you start messing / modifying your car and I think we all expect that crap will go wrong. Like I said, don't stress out too much about it, any competent shop worth a damn will make sure a DP install goes right, and if it goes wrong they should make it right. I noticed you are in Maryland, what shop are you using?

I offered to do my friends for $100.
He ended up doing it himself. Directly after he sent me a text that said, "I'd easily pay you $200 ( or maybe he said $300 ) to do it vs doing that again. Lol
I did say that. And 30 min into doing the downpipe I was sure I had made a financial mistake. Unless you enjoy a pain in the A$$ job its worth paying someone else to do it. After a few beers it got easier but then I forgot how everything went back together. Beer Problems[cheers]

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
Rodmoe, can you post pics of the windshield cowling removal from the Ford manual? Thanks.
Here you Go.. Not too hard Just take care getting the wiper arms off and notice the gap so you can set them right on re install..

Note Wiper placement and Gap for installing back on car later

Wiper are Nut

Ease the end caps out

6 Clips wiggle off with a pliers

4 each of Push Pins and Nuts

westcoaST

1000 Post Club
Thanks. I figured I'd need to pull the wipers. I have a small gear puller I used to pull off and lower the passenger's side wiper awhile ago. I bit the bullet and ordered the CD-ROM from Helmsinc.com. Now I have two ford manuals. I hope this one is better than the Mustang (2011) one was.

Kip2MyLou

2000 Post Club
1. It's ok. on the top of the downpipe there are 3 bolts that hold it to the turbo, and on the bottom there are 2 that hold it to the exhaust. the ones on the top holding the downpipe to the turbo are snapping off. there are no threads on the downpipe so no issues there.

2. with a non cat downpipe you need to get the defouler to stop the car from popping a check engine light. but if you have a system with the cat you dont need this as the cat will be there to do its job (slow you down [:)] ).
It is really not too difficult to do the DP, just need good preparation, patience and time as with many things in life LOL. But the thing is its never going to be a sure thing 100% its gonna be fine, nothing is going to go wrong. That is just not possible when you start messing / modifying your car and I think we all expect that crap will go wrong. Like I said, don't stress out too much about it, any competent shop worth a damn will make sure a DP install goes right, and if it goes wrong they should make it right. I noticed you are in Maryland, what shop are you using?
I live in Maryland but get my parts done by a shop up in PA, where I used to live. I know them very well and they have always done my cars. They don't charge as much as these city shops charge also. I trust them, but like I said I just feel bad giving them difficult jobs to do. Ha.

And thanks for the explanation. I think I might just go exhaust and intake right now, and get the downpipe later down the road, maybe Spring time.

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
Thanks. I figured I'd need to pull the wipers. I have a small gear puller I used to pull off and lower the passenger's side wiper awhile ago. I bit the bullet and ordered the CD-ROM from Helmsinc.com. Now I have two ford manuals. I hope this one is better than the Mustang (2011) one was.
I find the NO search function of the manual very painful.. Till I started using the index.. Glad to have another Helms guy feel free to share any shortcuts you figure out :)

MOFiST

That method is for wimps. Real men take the down pipe out the bottom bud. [strongman]
As your Aussie I was curious if you had any issues with siezy bolts and sensors with your DP install? We can't buy PB Blast here so what technique did you use to break your bolts/sensors?

Sekred

1000 Post Club
My bolts and O2 sensors were very firm. I use a O2 socket and long extension for the top one, it wasn't a problem. Make sure you do not put any side load on the sensors, I have broken them before on other vehicles. The more miles and heat cycles the more turbo exhaust bolts, O2 sensors tend to seize up. Weather conditions also, freezing winters, salty roads-corrosion plus.

westcoaST

1000 Post Club
Anyone know the size of the nuts that connect the downpipe to the turbo? I believe these are one time use, so I'm trying to get replacements. Thanks. Are they 12mm x 1.5?

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
Anyone know the size of the nuts that connect the downpipe to the turbo? I believe these are one time use, so I'm trying to get replacements. Thanks. Are they 12mm x 1.5?
SS posted this in post 29 if it helps
My stock downpipe bolt did something like that as well. I got the bolt out, but it chewed the threads up pretty good. While I had the manifold off porting it, I ran a M8 1.25 tap through it. I used one of the good stock bolts in that whole, while I used a new bolt on one of the other wholes that never had an issue. That is rough though...