Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

What are the power output limits of the stock engine on 93?

For various reasons, I prefer running 93 octane pump gas to trying to source ethanol or installing a meth/water kit. I'm curious what the limits are horsepower-wise on 93.

I have full bolt-ons just about (check my signature), but I've been told there's no point going further with tubular exhaust manifold, uprated Bosch injectors, or aux fuel system unless I plan on switching fuel. Is this true?

I would really love to be able to hit 300-330whp, ideally.

Thanks in advance.

Rocketst

1000 Post Club
Running just 93 with current fueling 310ish, the variety of it depends on how well your engine was built from the factory. Stock engine can handle 400 before it starts to fail. You get the aftermarket injectors and hpfp your looking at 400ish. You get aux fuel on top of that, I'd say you could probably do 600. Meth just cools the fuel allowing you to run more boost but if you don't have the fuel to support that air it won't benefit you.

Sent from my IN2019 using Tapatalk

Rocketst

1000 Post Club
For the record, e85 requires 30% more fuel by volume to make the same power as 93. The benefit is that you can run higher boost due to the knock resistance of the fuel allowing you to make more power than 93. But if you can't support the volume, there's little point running ethanol. The stock fueling system maxes out at 285 for ethanol.

OP
D
Thread Starter #5
Running just 93 with current fueling 310ish, the variety of it depends on how well your engine was built from the factory. Stock engine can handle 400 before it starts to fail. You get the aftermarket injectors and hpfp your looking at 400ish. You get aux fuel on top of that, I'd say you could probably do 600. Meth just cools the fuel allowing you to run more boost but if you don't have the fuel to support that air it won't benefit you.

To be clear, you're saying with my current set up of full bolt-ons and s280, I should already be over 300whp, and possibly as high as 310-315?

CSM

1000 Post Club
To be clear, you're saying with my current set up of full bolt-ons and s280, I should already be over 300whp, and possibly as high as 310-315?
315 seems a little high from those I've talked to who have had their 93 tuned S280 on well calibrated dynos.

What did Adam say you'd be at? He'd know best - probably has tuned the majority of S280s out there

OP
D
Thread Starter #7
315 seems a little high from those I've talked to who have had their 93 tuned S280 on well calibrated dynos.

What did Adam say you'd be at? He'd know best - probably has tuned the majority of S280s out there
I haven't asked, but we aren't finished calibrating. He sent me the initial tune, but I haven't been able to do any runs for the logs due to snow everywhere.

flbchbm

1000 Post Club
....I would really love to be able to hit 300-330whp, ideally.
Thanks in advance.
While it may be personal, I'm curious why you would really love to hit 300 or 330. Just a numerical goal or will it be functionally used somewhere?

Sent from my SM-T860 using Tapatalk

OP
D
Thread Starter #9
While it may be personal, I'm curious why you would really love to hit 300 or 330. Just a numerical goal or will it be functionally used somewhere?
Nah, it's just a numerical goal, though obviously the higher the better. I feel like 350-375hp at the crank is about the sweet spot of where I want to be, which translates to 300-320whp.

Also I feel like that's pretty much going to max out traction in 1-3 gear on 225mm wide 200tw tires.

CSM

1000 Post Club
Nah, it's just a numerical goal, though obviously the higher the better. I feel like 350-375hp at the crank is about the sweet spot of where I want to be, which translates to 300-320whp.

Also I feel like that's pretty much going to max out traction in 1-3 gear on 225mm wide 200tw tires.
Seems that factory fueling typically runs out around the 300whp mark. Obviously there's variance due to dynos, elevation, etc., but that's more or less a good ballpark/target for current generation turbo upgrades using stock fuel on our cars.

I think you may be surprised at how much traction you will get on 200TW tires that are sticky and up to temp. Temp is key. Usually after 1 autocross run I'll have good traction on my FiST with my setup. 1st gear is still a bit of a pain. 2nd and 3rd are OK after tires are up to temp. Also, S280 has a bit different torque profile than hybrids, so that is also working in your favor.

I will say LSD has been by far the best upgrade I've done to my car other than the turbo. Really helps with traction[/QUOTE]

flbchbm

1000 Post Club

Funny you mention traction. Did you read JEFF'S thread on unusable hp above ~270? He makes a great case.

"Back on 93 tune after a year on ethanol..."
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/to...&share_fid=74193&share_type=t&link_source=app

Sent from my SM-T860 using Tapatalk

OP
D
Thread Starter #12
Nice, thanks for the info. I'm definitely going with an LSD in the Spring when I throw the summer rubber on there. Also finish out my suspension mods with Koni Sport Yellow shocks. Might decide to go ahead and do the radiator, too, but I'm not sure how necessary it is unless I decide to start autocrossing it. I just moved to Vermont, so I don't even know if there's a place that does it around here.

Oil catch can kit and vent pod boost gauge go in next week, too, but that's really just finishing up my current round.

flbchbm

1000 Post Club
Nice, thanks for the info. I'm definitely going with an LSD in the Spring when I throw the summer rubber on there. Also finish out my suspension mods with Koni Sport Yellow shocks. Might decide to go ahead and do the radiator, too, but I'm not sure how necessary it is unless I decide to start autocrossing it. I just moved to Vermont, so I don't even know if there's a place that does it around here.

Oil catch can kit and vent pod boost gauge go in next week, too, but that's really just finishing up my current round.
My LSD will go in before April. No turbo upgrade planned for now. Driveway expansion, patio and such are $16k yikes

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

OP
D
Thread Starter #14
My LSD will go in before April. No turbo upgrade planned for now. Driveway expansion, patio and such are $16k yikes
I'm "lucky" in that I just got divorced last year and sold my house in Seattle and moved into a cheap 1-BR apartment in Montpelier. I literally have nothing better to spend my money on, so I just dropped $10k on performance mods for my little pocket rocket.

flbchbm

1000 Post Club
I'm "lucky" in that I just got divorced last year and sold my house in Seattle and moved into a cheap 1-BR apartment in Montpelier. I literally have nothing better to spend my money on, so I just dropped $10k on performance mods for my little pocket rocket.
Make sure that 401k/IRA is funded w10% first. Right?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk