Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

What did you do to your Fiesta ST today ?

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Installed my Dark ice Designs Dual hood Strut kit* It was a real treat with all the shit I have going on under the hood now. But looks great and seems to hold up the hood....Now comes the longevity test for these hood struts!

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

I am actually curious about these as well. Those ford foam pads look like trash. I guess while in tact they do block metal on metal contact. Will be eyeballing for opinions on these as well.
True.. when I had a look and feel at mine they were fkd.. that's the stock factory ones. After 100000km and close to 7 years of use. But it feels pointless to replace the upper ones without replacing the lower ones as well..

Sent from my Mi MIX 2S using Tapatalk

Installed my Dark ice Designs Dual hood Strut kit* It was a real treat with all the shit I have going on under the hood now. But looks great and seems to hold up the hood....Now comes the longevity test for these hood struts!

I really cringe when I see those plastic coolant tanks.. I had no choice but to buy the Mishimoto stainless tank.. must be a climate thing... They turn yellow and start cracking here in australia in no time from what I have experienced.. Love the struts though! Must be so much better to not have to use the bar every bloody time you lift the hood!!

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
I really cringe when I see those plastic coolant tanks.. I had no choice but to buy the Mishimoto stainless tank.. must be a climate thing... They turn yellow and start cracking here in australia in no time from what I have experienced.. Love the struts though! Must be so much better to not have to use the bar every bloody time you lift the hood!!

They Turn yellow here over time also....but I seldom see it. It will be interesting to see how long the hood struts last and where replacements can be had. The metal tanks seem to last longer but also seem to leak by the sight glass from what I have observed over time. I have pondered on buying one also.

Did my front right wheel bearing. I think I'm on the right track. I suspected wheel bearing but there wasn't any play when I do the wheel shake method, but after I took the knuckle/hub assembly out, there was definitely play between the hub and the knuckle. Taking the old bearing out was the hardest part. Took me the better part of yesterday just to do that since I did it at home without a press. This probably a job I'd pay someone to do next time lol. Soaked the whole knuckle with old bearing in a bucket of transmission fluid for a few hours and it came out but took just a tiny bit of muscle lol. Going to reassemble everything today.

Attachments

Last edited:

haste

1000 Post Club
Did my front right wheel bearing. I think I'm on the right track. I suspected wheel bearing but there wasn't any play when I do the wheel shake method
Getting ready to do both my front wheel bearings when I install new suspension

When I installed my new transmission I noticed play on the left bearing. It was only evident with no axle nut installed. Once I installed the nut everything was tight. I don't have any noise or weird behavior from the front end at this point and that was about 4300 miles ago.

When I installed my new transmission I noticed play on the left bearing. It was only evident with no axle nut installed. Once I installed the nut everything was tight. I don't have any noise or weird behavior from the front end at this point and that was about 4300 miles ago.
I was getting a brake squeel and grinding from the front passenger side when braking. I replaced the brake pads twice, rotors twice, new motorcraft caliper, guide pins, all hardware, etc., and the sound still persisted. The Ford parts guy suggested the wheel bearing, and it seems to have fixed my issue now. Took it for a short drive and the sound is gone, finally. Weird that the wheel bearing was giving me braking noises. This car must run on really tight tolerances in the suspension area.

Fiestig

I was getting a brake squeel and grinding from the front passenger side when braking. I replaced the brake pads twice, rotors twice, new motorcraft caliper, guide pins, all hardware, etc., and the sound still persisted. The Ford parts guy suggested the wheel bearing, and it seems to have fixed my issue now. Took it for a short drive and the sound is gone, finally. Weird that the wheel bearing was giving me braking noises. This car must run on really tight tolerances in the suspension area.
Basically the weight transfer to the front when braking was putting more stress on a bad bearing rotation, thus creating the additional noise when braking. At least this is how it was explained to me at the time. Had the same thing happen with an old focus.

They Turn yellow here over time also....but I seldom see it. It will be interesting to see how long the hood struts last and where replacements can be had. The metal tanks seem to last longer but also seem to leak by the sight glass from what I have observed over time. I have pondered on buying one also.

Yep my site glass was leaking in no time. I just had no choice but to plug them up with a couple of little brass bungs and thread tape..

by the way, i bought this kit to do the job: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B072PQF42Y/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Got it for 80 dollars. It's definitely worth it, and makes doing a wheel bearing possible without a press. I was thinking it would even work to push the lower control arm bushings out and install the powerflex bushings.

haste

1000 Post Club
by the way, i bought this kit to do the job: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B072PQF42Y/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Got it for 80 dollars. It's definitely worth it, and makes doing a wheel bearing possible without a press. I was thinking it would even work to push the lower control arm bushings out and install the powerflex bushings.
I appreciate it, but I bought a press when I installed the LSD and final drive conversion in my new transmission. I was able to convince the wife I would be able to use it later on for these types of repair. :)

I appreciate it, but I bought a press when I installed the LSD and final drive conversion in my new transmission. I was able to convince the wife I would be able to use it later on for these types of repair. :)
Nice, should be cake for you then.

Jabbit

2000 Post Club
I have this kit sitting on a shelf, looked at the instructions for a few mins and then put it aside. Can you take close-up pictures of how it mounts on the fender?