Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

What did you do to your Fiesta ST today ?

Bull Run

U.S. Army Veteran
I started playing around with Torque Pro as a way to display fully customizable gauges with alerts (for example, I enabled voice notification to let me know when car’s at the operating temperature when coolant temperature reaches 180 degrees).

1679093236014.png
I tested it first on my phone (Galaxy S21), along with the Bluetooth version of OBDLink MX that I use for FORScan. Torque Pro had a plug-in that made it compatible with Android Auto, but recent changes to AA broke the plug-in. I was able to use a mirroring app to mirror the Torque Pro dashboard from my phone to the Sync3 display, but, aside from limitations of mirroring, the display isn’t big enough to display no more than a couple of medium sized gauges along with two small ones. The picture I posted shows it displaying 10 small-sized gauges, which are hard to see while driving. Therefore, I started looking for a cheap phone or tablet to be left in the car that powers up/down along with the car, and auto launches Torque Pro into the dashboard mode.

I got an old Amazon Fire 8 tablet (2016 edition) from my wife who no longer uses it. Since Amazon Fire devices are locked down, I used Fire Toolbox to replace the default launcher, disable parental control, and removed various Amazon crud/advertisements to free up as much resources as possible. I also installed Google Play so it’s no longer only limited to Amazon approved apps. I’m happy to report that Torque Pro runs fine this old tablet, even when running dashboards packed with gauges.

1679093268632.png

1679093296485.png
There aren’t many good places to mount 8” sized tablets on the Fiesta dash, so I tried a suction mount on top of the Sync3 display to mount it horizontally, and also tested mounting it vertically on an existing phone mount. If you are buying a tablet/phone for this, I recommend going with 7” or smaller as it will open up more mounting options. Torque Pro has many themes to choose from, along with the ability to switching between multiple dashboards with a finger swipe. Just Google “Torque Pro themes” under images tab to see many different themes and dashboard examples.

The second phase is to automate so I don’t have to manually power on the tablet, launch Torque Pro, and manually power off. Amazon Fire is already set to automatically power on when plugged into a charger (you can enable this behavior by running certain commends on other tablets), so leaving it plugged into the USB port should to the trick as it will provide power and signal the tablet to power on when the car’s turned on.

1679093416851.png 1679093430377.png
Torque Pro has a setting to automatically default to the dashboard mode upon launching. It also has an option start on boot, but only in the background. I installed the Automate app and created two flows; one to automatically start Torque Pro in foreground, and the other to automatically power off the tablet when the power source is “unplugged”. The first flow works as expected but I ran into an issue with the second flow. The second flow errors at the “Shutdown” event due to “Failed to bind Superuser service: a rooted device is required”. This makes sense as a security measure, as a malicious app can easily brick the device by automatically issuing a shutdown command on boot. This also means that I need to root the tablet in to allow Automate to successfully execute the shutdown command.

Amazon Fire’s one of the more difficult tablets to root since it requires taking the cover off and shorting a connection during the rooting process. There’s a chance of bricking it while attempting to root but I’ll give it a try when I have more time to research since you can get older Amazon Fire tablets for less than $20, so bricking one won’t be a huge loss. Nevertheless, if you are starting from a scratch, I recommend getting a tablet that’s easy to root or is already rooted.

I foresee other uses from this other than displaying gauges since you can repurpose an old tablet to add Android Auto to older cars by automatically launching the Android Auto head unit server via Automate. There are already examples for this online.

A couple of other examples:
1679093323450.png
1679093347572.png

NOVA_Ranger

U.S. Army Veteran
Not today, but planning to change the oil, transmission fluid, and flush brake/clutch fluid tomorrow. My neighbor has a lift, so I figure I might as well knock it all out in one shot. New to the vehicle but everything looks pretty straight-forward. Wish me luck! haha

Bull Run

U.S. Army Veteran
This is a follow-up to yesterday’s post regarding digital gauges.

Figured out a way to automate powering off the tablet without needing to root. Installed “Shutdown” app that brings up the power menu. I added a couple of blocks for “Power Off When Unplugged” flow to launch the “Shutdown” app and simulate pressing “Power Off” on the screen. Now the tablet automatically power off when I turn the car off.
1679196396201.png

I went ahead and bought a used Amazon Fire 7 (2019 edition) for $18.70 to allow for additional mounting locations. A similar width but longer tablet might make good replacement for the stock gauge cluster.

Enabled and added additional Ford specific PIDs for more sensor options. I’m can only get a small subset of them working for now, such as OAR. I need to play around some more to get others working, as being able to display data, such as tire pressure from TPMS, current gear (to be used with the RPM gauge), etc. will be nice.

1679196284640.png
1679196303319.png
1679196326119.png
1679196348575.png
1679196366650.png

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Took out the ST200 airbox and removed my one off GrayFiST Fog lamp assemblies that used one assembly for the connection for the Intake hose on the ST200 air box. Installed a MAP intake and put in Diode dynamics LED fog lights. Intake sounds and Turbo spool from my DHM360r kit are put on blast now X 10. The fog lights are a upgrade also...nice addition.

Powerstop slotted and drilled rotors + brake pads and whoosh lines are on. Bled everything with a motion powerbleeder and threw on my konig dekagrams with extreme contact sports on. I got a room full of boxes of more parts just waiting to go on. Can’t wait!

Attachments

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Powerstop slotted and drilled rotors + brake pads and whoosh lines are on. Bled everything with a motion powerbleeder and threw on my konig dekagrams with extreme contact sports on. I got a room full of boxes of more parts just waiting to go on. Can’t wait!
205/45-16s at factory ride height, correct?

I’ve got the power stop d/s rotors as well, but will he putting new pads on this spring. What’d you end up with?

I’ve got the power stop d/s rotors as well, but will he putting new pads on this spring. What’d you end up with?
I bought the powerstop “street warrior” kit that comes with all the rotors and carbon fiber ceramic pads.

Attachments

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Maybe a little early, but did a Spring cleaning and put summer wheels/tires on.

View attachment 54579
Yeah, we still have the effing salt powder on the roads here left over from the last panicked 'threat' of even a single flake of snow, as the last couple of heavy rains were not enough to wash it all away. [mad] [thumbdown]

I will wait until we get a heavy enough rain to flush that crap off of the roads, and down the sewers before I do my (requisite for where I live), 'in the rain wash' ritual.

Until then, all of those white salt soup spots on the sides of the car bug the hell out of me.