Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

What did you do to your Fiesta ST today ?

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
The brakes on these cars are pretty interesting. I don't think I've ever gone through pads as fast as I do with this thing. The way these things like to be driven probably encourages it, lol. Plus the vectoring.
WHY I turn off the nannies as much as the console button will allow, every single time I start this car!
I still have the factory 'all season' pads on the car for almost 8 years, and 46K miles so far, and although I am going to change them, as well as the rotors, out this month, they are still stopping the car well, and with no noise at all.

Does anyone know if the bought from Rock Auto, Motorcraft 'S' (or 'summer tire/performance') pads come with the retaining clip hardware (and possibly the slider pin replacement 'bellows' as well?) like pictured above in Intuit's pics? [dunno]

It seems that Motorcraft/Ford does not sell said hardware separately, like the other brake hardware companies (Carlson, AC Delco, etc.) do.

Dialcaliper

Have to be at work tomorrow morning so technically this is what am I doing tonight.
Dangerously low on friction material for my front passenger side, outer pad. (rest are not far behind)
Despite the extreme dustiness, I'm giving the expensive OEM pads another whirl.

View attachment 61707

The reduced contact surface area is a curious design decision.
Not sure my aftermarket CarQuest pads had the tapering. (will have to check prior photos)
View attachment 61708
It’s usually a measure to prevent pad lifting and uneven wear across the pad (the pad will tend to “wedge” and wear either the trailing edge faster) the same reason that some multi-pot calipers use larger and smaller leading/trailing pistons.

If you look carefully, sometimes (but not always), the chamfer on the leading and trailing edge of the pad will be asymmetrical so that the pad center shifts slightly at full thickness.

It can also help with brake squeal, and sometimes edge chunking depending on the compound.

Dialcaliper

WHY I turn off the nannies as much as the console button will allow, every single time I start this car!
I still have the factory 'all season' pads on the car for almost 8 years, and 46K miles so far, and although I am going to change them, as well as the rotors, out this month, they are still stopping the car well, and with no noise at all.

Does anyone know if the bought from Rock Auto, Motorcraft 'S' (or 'summer tire/performance') pads come with the retaining clip hardware (and possibly the slider pin replacement 'bellows' as well?) like pictured above in Intuit's pics? [dunno]

It seems that Motorcraft/Ford does not sell said hardware separately, like the other brake hardware companies (Carlson, AC Delco, etc.) do.
Funny, as I was reading your post, I had literally just unboxed a set of BRF1494 front pads from Rockauto. They do include the brake hardware.

One thing I noticed is that while they say BRF1494 and AY1Z-2001-D on the box, the actual Ford pads in the box are marked AY11-2K021-CA, which appears to be a superseding part number from a Ford B-Max (UK only Fiesta based MPV replaced by the Puma). They are not chamfered. They do however still have the big “S” mark on them and not the “H” of the A/S pads.

Attachments

Last edited:

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Are the replacement rubber bellows, protective 'boots' for the slider pins in that hardware packet??

I cannot tell from your pic above, and I did not order the separate Carlson/AC Delco/whatever version of them from Rock Auto thinking that they came with the pads. [dunno]

FiestaSTdude

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Are the replacement rubber bellows, protective 'boots' for the slider pins in that hardware packet??

I cannot tell from your pic above, and I did not order the separate Carlson/AC Delco/whatever version of them from Rock Auto thinking that they came with the pads. [dunno]
Mine did not have the boots, I bought them separately

Intuit

3000 Post Club
That's gotta be a record. One member here does offer a 'memory' button that automatically disables it with each ignition cycle.

Funny, as I was reading your post, I had literally just unboxed a set of BRF1494 front pads from Rockauto. They do include the brake hardware.

One thing I noticed is that while they say BRF1494 and AY1Z-2001-D on the box, the actual Ford pads in the box are marked AY11-2K021-CA, which appears to be a superseding part number from a Ford B-Max (UK only Fiesta based MPV replaced by the Puma). They are not chamfered. They do however still have the big “S” mark on them and not the “H” of the A/S pads.
Maybe they still need more bedding but don't seem to have the bite of the original pads that came with this car. This car came with the Summer tires. My passenger side inside rotor is probably at or below minimum thickness. Did the pads as emergency replacement; will pickup some rotors soon. Just spending time looking at some choices.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
That's gotta be a record. One member here does offer a 'memory' button that automatically disables it with each ignition cycle.

Maybe they still need more bedding but don't seem to have the bite of the original pads that came with this car. This car came with the Summer tires. My passenger side inside rotor is probably at or below minimum thickness. Did the pads as emergency replacement; will pickup some rotors soon. Just spending time looking at some choices.
Yes, I know, it is SCCA Rallycrosser JDG who offers that modification.

I would have bought one when he was first offering them to us on the site except that you still have to hit a button every time you start the car, so I passed on that.
IF it were a default to NO TC/VSC/any other nannies, with only having to hit the button to activate them, I would've been first in line for that mod. [thumb]

You bought the more 'pedestrian' H (all season tire from the factory) pads, so yes they absolutely will not have the bite, or resistance to fade in very hard use that the S (summer tire from the factory) pads are known for.

The H pads do last an insane amount of miles/time (8 years/45K miles for me!) though, and I am told that they dust MUCH less than the S pads I am installing in their place, so I will find out what the direct differences really are. [wink]

Last edited:

pixelzombie

I used the JB Weld glass repair kit. It works VERY well, you can hardly see the impact point and the crack is also gone. I don't understand however their claim that it will fill a crack 1 1/4 inch wide when the hole in the dispenser is about 1/8" wide.

pixelzombie

What is turning off the nannies?

pixelzombie

Replaced my subframe that was completely rotting out.
View attachment 61533 View attachment 61535

Cleaned, degreased and coated all parts with Fluid-Film. New bolts all around to compliment.
View attachment 61536
View attachment 61544
Whoosh subframe centering kit and again, Fluid Film spread around with a paintbrush on the underside.

The driving difference is quite drastic, sharper turn in, solid feel on bumps, much more stable around road ruts.
I'm good for at least another 10 years in the salt!
Damn, that is quite the upgrade. Where does one get a replacement subframe now that the FiST is no longer being made? I'm assuming this is beyond the scope of the average backyard mechanic.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
What is turning off the nannies?
Pushing and holding down the TC/ESC button on the vertical part of the console until the display screen shows the complete system off.
Of course there is still some residual torque vectoring with the rear brakes, and the ABS is still active.

So it is not possible to switch them completely and totally off, unless you can find a way to actually re-write the ECM/BCM programs and still have the car function, and pass the various state inspections/OBD plug in tests, etc.

The 'nannies' are all of the electronically programmed into the systems of the car, intrusive driving 'helpers' all of the manufacturers insist on pushing on us.

They are mostly ANTI-performance/performance killing for the most part, except for the real launch control/traction control systems in higher end performance cars (and possibly the ones in the premium tunes from the better tuners for us in the Cobb AP3 world).

Last edited:

FiestaSTdude

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Replaced my evap canister since it appears to be leaking. The electrical connector was a giant pain in the butt, the car wasn’t up high enough and ultimately the whole job was way harder than it should have been lol! Hopefully this solves my issue.
Evap canister fixed my check engine light and I finally was able to pass inspection!
Side note, I drove my car in our warehouse today and of course had to take a picture
IMG_1988.jpeg

Sam4

Evap canister fixed my check engine light and I finally was able to pass inspection!
Side note, I drove my car in our warehouse today and of course had to take a picture
View attachment 61909
I'll own up to "snapped one of the studs holding up the evap canister....." I hate playing with fire (blowtorch) and am going to try and back it out - it's a press fit.

Damn, that is quite the upgrade. Where does one get a replacement subframe now that the FiST is no longer being made? I'm assuming this is beyond the scope of the average backyard mechanic.
They are still available new. Part No.: AY1Z-5019-A CROSS MEMBER ASY

Replaced the exhaust hangers back to new OEM ones and WOW what a difference. I had the whoosh poly ones before. (Stock exhaust)

I had a nasty resonance between 3k and 4k rpms on deceleration that was very loud that is now completely gone. Very happy camper!

A few days ago, but I replaced my fuel tank which developed a hole due to the ABS line being melted around when my exhaust popped off. While I was in there I assessed all the damage from that, which seems to be limited to having melted the rubber off the brake lines and my now departed old gas tank, plus a little bit of damage where the heat shield got so hot it became fragile. Overall I escaped pretty lucky I think. I need to do my fluids in the next two days as I have a two day track session coming up where my RT660s will likely be no good per tread reading as they're maybe 3/32" right now (Using a quarter since I can't find my depth gauge). That said, seems like people don't pay much mind to the tread on these given the tread is pretty token. How far do people run them usually? They honestly seem to have plenty of life left in them, and everything I've ever read says they get faster the more the tread wears.

Otherwise I'm replacing them with RE71RS after this weekend, but if I've got more life, I'll run these for my last two track days at least

Ford Community Posts