Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

What drives you to throw a ton of time/money into extreme-modding a new Fiesta ST instead of just buying a faster car?

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
I am not mocking or dismissing the idea, genuinely curious - my personal mindset is generally "super stock" when a car is newer, as modding more than that (for me, historically) compromises the character of a vehicle I really like (lesson learned - no more reground cams in motorcycles unless they're track bikes!). I feel like 300HP in a FiST would take away from the lightweight flickable balance and "10/10ths everywhere" character I love.

I've seen a few people slap on big turbos and aux fuel, extreme suspension mods, etc. on FiSTS with under 5k miles on them and I can't help but wonder, is it because they didn't really like the car as it came, or are you all more "chasing the dragon" and enjoy the process of customizing and maximizing what you already have?

This is not intended as a criticism or critique, I am legitimately curious. I avoided buying a BRZ because I know I would have immediately supercharged or turbocharged it, and decided that if I needed to do any extreme modifications to a brand new car to be happy with it, it was probably the wrong car for me. Having driven an ecoboost mustang I can't help but feel that powertrain in a BRZ would be awesome :p

I welcome any conversation on the subject - different strokes for different folks and all that, I'd just like to hear some differing perspectives.

Even if I wasn't trying to preserve the character of a car, I still kinda like the "mod progression", so I get max appreciation for each modification as I go.

Sidebar: on an older, used car - I say the gloves come off and mod away, it's specifically people that buy a brand new car and immediately, irreversibly modify it that I am wondering about.

Love the chassis just felt like it needed more attention that ford did not provide, and make it unique.

Brianmc27

I bought a 2016 with ~26000 on the clock, so it wasn’t new when I started with it. But for $15,000 + another couple grand of mods you’d be hard pressed to find a better performing car with the same amenities.

I had an Mk7 GTI before this car that was 2x the price. I couldn’t afford to mod it, nor did I have the desire to mess with a car I spent so much money on.

This car falls right in the price point of being very fun, but cheap enough to not take too seriously.

No way in hell would I have put wing risers, yellow decals, a multi-colored intercooler and a dumbass personalized plate on the GTI. The whole car just felt too grown up and serious for that business.

This car gives my 33 year old self the chance to fulfill my 20 year old desires now that I have a couple of pennies to rub together.

OP
Clint Beastwood

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #4
Love the chassis just felt like it needed more attention that ford did not provide, and make it unique.
Right on - personally I feel like stock plus maybe a little more power is my target for ultimate fun-ness. My modification path so far has been to inject a little more "character" and "personality" into the FiST, as coming from an Italian FiST equivalent made the FiST feel really... sterile? Not as bad as a GTI, but still really "plain" - not bad, just not exciting. I might eventually hit the point where I'd want 300+hp but not while its so new.

My fiesta was my first car I've gotten off a lot. Its the perfect mix of sporty, fun to drive, decent gas mileage, and has everything I wanted like bluetooth, heated leather seats, and a sunroof. But the second I bought it all I kept thinking was how this was the perfect platform for me to start my journey into the tuning/modifying world. I could've bought a faster car instead but it would've been older with more miles and no warranty. Plus, buying a faster car and calling it that takes the fun out of it. Theres no way I'd buy any car even if its already fast, and not make it even faster but I don't have the money for that right now. You can completely build these cars engine and everything for less than $20k whereas If I wanted to build a focus rs it would probably cost 30-50 thousand. I want to blow the doors off people who buy faster cars and think "its just a fiesta" and see their reaction when Im flying passing them.

I try an find a good balance between keeping things stock and doing small performance modifications to help enjoy the experience. I have really only done some bolt-on upgrades to allow a full utilizaiton of a tuner. Wheels are stock, suspension is stock, turbo is stock, interior is stock. I do plan on getting as much Pierce underbody bracing as my wallet will allow to help really open up the potential of the stock suspension.

This car isn't designed for straight line speed and running down V8's. But you can out perform those cars all day long on the twisty curves. And thats why I prefer to keep mine relatively stock.

Se7eN

I have a faster car, got bored with it. Started modding the Fiesta and now it's almost as fast as the faster car. Mind you I could just use Nitrous or boost for the other car (LS1 Camaro) but then I'd probably need to upgrade the diff and a few other things which would require more money. Also the Fiesta is more fun in corners and driving around. The other car is a boat and also Automatic which makes for a lot less fun.

I've thought about getting a Coyote Mustang, 2018+ with the A10 but I know it would be as fun and will be more expensive monthly and not as useful. Also it's harder to get in and out of which for me is becoming an issue.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
First off I own my car, its already paid off. I did originally wind up finding it and wanting it when looking for a fun daily driver.
I stumbled across this little Go Kart. It was love at first drive. It looks kinda cool too!
Owning it makes modding it a little easier, its mine damnnit!
I did not intended to think about a Turbo, I did find while quick I want it to have more power. I am not out to beat V8’s or anything with it.
I think it does not help I have friends with Hybrid and BT turbo’s on their cars and if we find any kinda of straights they are pulling away on me. I want that power it just kinda happened. Lol
To me putting on a larger turbo on engine that already has a turbo is not that crazy.
I come from a world of engine swaps, putting turbo’s on engines that never had them etc... this is mild in my eyes mod wise.
Ya I would love to get a BRZ and drop an Ecoboost in it, but that is a lot of work and that goes back to what I would do with a 240sx ( done it too many times lol)
Or a S30 240Z ( planning on it) .
I might as well at that point consider a Porsche Caymen. Lol

Suspension is kinda of a given, anytime I find a car where their are deficiencies in the suspension suspension gets modded lol.
LSD just seems logical.

So mods wise I figured out for 8k with a turbo swap and a LSD in my car? I have a car that can run the pants off more expensive sports cars and all for under 30k out of my pocket. Thats a lot of bang for the buck IMO.

I personally love the fist otb I do wish it was a tiny bit more rev happy and had more topend instead of the 5or6k die off but long term I wanna make it a part time track car

OP
Clint Beastwood

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #11
good feedback all.

I know we all want different things from our cars. I just had a hard time with the idea of buying a brand new car and going big turbo before its even done breaking in.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
good feedback all.

I know we all want different things from our cars. I just had a hard time with the idea of buying a brand new car and going big turbo before its even done breaking in.
Oh I get you there, I am so used to buying used cars because most new cars were boring to me. I was like screw that I can buy blah blah blah used and have a heyday modding. So the FiST was really a step out for me. It was the first new car in a long time that I was like wow this thing is awesome.

I sometimes do marvel at the fact I have thrown stuff at a brand new car. Though with this car and how easy it is to mod it kinda sucks you in.

I know if certain members of my family knew they would think I had lost it.l LOL
But then of course they can’t get their heads around one person having two cars either. Never mind the fact that our Dad R.I.P. had a collection of Mercedes SL coupes from the smallest engine to the largest lol.

Oh don't get me wrong I'd love to one-day have full bolt ons but imma wait till I'm 150k-200k on the clock before I got "balls to the wall". If I want to go crazy with something I'll build another car or bike I really wanna get back on two wheels altho the fist feels pretty close

PunkST

2000 Post Club
Im chucking money at it to just make it reliable. I dont know how anybody else is even getting high power out of theirs. Mine never seems to run right

My problem is that I can't keep anything stock for long. I always have the itch to just add this or that and before you know it I'll pretty much have the whole thing redone.
Here lately I'm trying to control my urges with the FiST and just replace the crappy stocks parts with upgraded better parts for the long haul.

I started modifying my FiST in hopes to eliminate the notorious clanking. Looking for a solution brought me to this forum where I discovered all the little things I could do to make the FiST just a little better. Then I realized I would like to do a few track days and need to make a few modifications to allow for a more reliable and safe car for track and commuting.

The big mods for me are the cooling system, and braking upgrades for track use. Suspension mods for a comfortable commute. Chassis braces because Octane Academy ruined me with their roll cages and how it stiffened the car. Then a complete transmission rebuild to search and destroy the notorious clanking.