Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

What size wheel to go with for softer ride without sacrificing too much performance?

So I just bought a 2015 FiST about a month ago, and love everything about it. Except for how hard it takes bumps. The roads in my city are absolutely trash, potholes everywhere. There are times that it beats me to death just driving the speed limit. My question is whether I should consider going down in wheel size from the factory 17s, and getting tires with more sidewall? I could get some 15" steelies for cheap, like $80/each. I haven't tried to source any tires for those yet but they HAVE to be cheaper than the low profile iMOVE Ironmans that are on the car now. And if I do this, do you guys think the performance in cornering would suffer tremendously? Or would it be negligible enough to be worth the improved ride quality?

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
So I just bought a 2015 FiST about a month ago, and love everything about it. Except for how hard it takes bumps. The roads in my city are absolutely trash, potholes everywhere. There are times that it beats me to death just driving the speed limit. My question is whether I should consider going down in wheel size from the factory 17s, and getting tires with more sidewall? I could get some 15" steelies for cheap, like $80/each. I haven't tried to source any tires for those yet but they HAVE to be cheaper than the low profile iMOVE Ironmans that are on the car now. And if I do this, do you guys think the performance in cornering would suffer tremendously? Or would it be negligible enough to be worth the improved ride quality?
Meh....go with 16+ suspension it is softer that 15' s and back. I'm happy I changed put my stock Setup for Type R springs on NOS 15' shocks and struts. It has settled nicely over time and the look is 10x better....IMO. you could keep the stock size wheels and get koni oranges with stock or Lowering springs. It will dampen the ride some but you might lose the crisp turn in. Going down in wheel size effects turn in also some. So pick your poison here.

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk

OP
Sichy
Thread Starter #3
Meh....go with 16+ suspension it is softer that 15' s and back. I'm happy I changed put my stock Setup for Type R springs on NOS 15' shocks and struts. It has settled nicely over time and the look is 10x better....IMO. you could keep the stock size wheels and get koni oranges with stock or Lowering springs. It will dampen the ride some but you might lose the crisp turn in. Going down in wheel size effects turn in also some. So pick your poison here.

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk
Okay, good info. I will certainly look into these setups, and thank you.

I went from factory to 205/50/r16 ( so rim size -1 and also a taller overall tire) and it helped tremendously with bumps and potholes and such. I also compensated for the more tire by using less pressure, which also helps a little as well as giving me more grip. Yes, turn in was affected, but IMO not enough of a difference to matter on a road car (maybe if you autox)

changing out the shock dampers also made a huge difference

OP
Sichy
Thread Starter #5
I went from factory to 205/50/r16 ( so rim size -1 and also a taller overall tire) and it helped tremendously with bumps and potholes and such. I also compensated for the more tire by using less pressure, which also helps a little as well as giving me more grip. Yes, turn in was affected, but IMO not enough of a difference to matter on a road car (maybe if you autox)

changing out the shock dampers also made a huge difference
I don't autox, it's just a daily driver tbh. I have a long commute and like I said our roads are garbage due to bad infrastructure. So I may look into this as well.

2014-15s are known for a harsh ride, they updated the spring rates and such after that. I have a ‘15, and it’s very stiff. I’ve heard Koni oranges are a good compromise for rear shock absorbers. Otherwise yes many say 16” or even 15” is the way to go.

I’d be curious if anyone has updated the 2014-15 suspension to the 2016+ setup, and what difference that makes….

2014-15s are known for a harsh ride, they updated the spring rates and such after that. I have a ‘15, and it’s very stiff. I’ve heard Koni oranges are a good compromise for rear shock absorbers. Otherwise yes many say 16” or even 15” is the way to go.

I’d be curious if anyone has updated the 2014-15 suspension to the 2016+ setup, and what difference that makes….
it has been done (there's a thread somewhere) and it does make a difference, but not as much as Koni oranges/b8s even on stock springs.

If you're going to the trouble, might as well just go aftermarket.

gtx3076

1000 Post Club
it has been done (there's a thread somewhere) and it does make a difference, but not as much as Koni oranges/b8s even on stock springs.

If you're going to the trouble, might as well just go aftermarket.
Most aftermarket goes shorter though, right? I personally wouldn't want to get any lower that stock height.

Most aftermarket goes shorter though, right? I personally wouldn't want to get any lower that stock height.
springs, yes. but if you just replace the dampers and keep stock springs, they won't lower it.

koni oranges and bilstein b6's are both meant to be paired with factory springs. koni yellows and bilstein b8's are meant for aftermarket (lowering) springs.