Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

What Tire do you guys run

TemecFist

We’re not talking skill level, we’re talking about pulling near or over 1G of force on a public road. Facts are facts. At best you’re short sighted, at worst you just don’t care. I hope it’s the former but whatever you want to be I guess 🤷‍♂️
Yeah, according to the data....its well over 1g, and trust me, it takes skill to do that. Lol.

I like having the extra grip for when things go south. I’ve had lesser tires slide the back end around on me when the RT660’s just grip. The main reason for a 200tw on the street is if you have extra power and don’t like spinning (or love tearing up parking lots) [emoji23].

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I like having the extra grip for when things go south. I’ve had lesser tires slide the back end around on me when the RT660’s just grip. The main reason for a 200tw on the street is if you have extra power and don’t like spinning (or love tearing up parking lots) [emoji23].

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
They most definitely give one that extra safety 'headroom' on the streets, for braking as well as for emergency, reflexive, evasive maneuvers, over the 300/340+ tread wear donuts, even if one does not 'push' them to their limits on the streets, otherwise. [wink]

CSM

1000 Post Club
In the stock size I was thinking about trying the Pirelli Nero tires but I have not heard many reviews about them on our cars.
I have Pirellis right now as a daily driver summer tire and they are pretty bad IMO. vague feedback and poor turn in response. Not really a great summer tire IMO

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
I have Pirellis right now as a daily driver summer tire and they are pretty bad IMO. vague feedback and poor turn in response. Not really a great summer tire IMO
Which Pirelli's do you have? Is it the P Zero Nero which is available in the OEM size? If so, this would be disappointing but helpful information to me, as I was considering it as an alternative to the Indy 500 next time I need tires since the OEM Bridgestone Potenzas have become mostly unavailable.
My primary goal is quick precise turn in response.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...4WR70NXL&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

CSM

1000 Post Club
Which Pirelli's do you have? Is it the P Zero Nero which is available in the OEM size? If so, this would be disappointing but helpful information to me, as I was considering it as an alternative to the Indy 500 next time I need tires since the OEM Bridgestone Potenzas have become mostly unavailable.
My primary goal is quick precise turn in response.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...4WR70NXL&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes
I have the GT version of the P Zero Nero which is the next generation. It isn't good IMO, which means the P Zero Nero is prob even worse.

Having owned Firehawk Indy 500 in the past, I can tell you with absolute certainty turn in is far worse on the Pirellis. They are also more vague and "wander" really bad on grooved surfaces.

If it were me, I'd go either Firehawk Indy 500 if you are on a budget in 205/40/17,

Or

If you want to spend a little more, mount the 215/40/17 Direzza ZIII. They will mount to the 17x7 wheels. They are 200TW tires for competition, but in my experience, they last longer than other 200TW tires out there (I also own RT660s and they are a superior tire for competition than the ZIII but do not last nearly as long). Turn in and grip is wwaaayyy higher than the Indys, with the downside that they wont last as long (Although I got about 23k out of a set of ZIIIs recently), and they are pretty noisy.

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
I have the GT version of the P Zero Nero which is the next generation. It isn't good IMO, which means the P Zero Nero is prob even worse.

Having owned Firehawk Indy 500 in the past, I can tell you with absolute certainty turn in is far worse on the Pirellis. They are also more vague and "wander" really bad on grooved surfaces.

If it were me, I'd go either Firehawk Indy 500 if you are on a budget in 205/40/17,

Or

If you want to spend a little more, mount the 215/40/17 Direzza ZIII. They will mount to the 17x7 wheels. They are 200TW tires for competition, but in my experience, they last longer than other 200TW tires out there (I also own RT660s and they are a superior tire for competition than the ZIII but do not last nearly as long). Turn in and grip is wwaaayyy higher than the Indys, with the downside that they wont last as long (Although I got about 23k out of a set of ZIIIs recently), and they are pretty noisy.
Thanks for the information, that was exactly what I was hoping to know about the Pirelli. m
My only hesitation about the Direzza ZIII would be that here in Central North Carolina I run one tire year-round, it doesn't snow enough for winter tires, and I wonder if they would be really hard to drive in temperatures less than 45 degrees. The Indy 500s do fine in the cold temperatures, although I don't push them hard in that application. I'm not really worried about how many miles I get out of the tire, I don't put that many miles on a year, and in any event I only got 8800 miles out of the stock Bridgestone Potenza RE050As.

CSM

1000 Post Club
Thanks for the information, that was exactly what I was hoping to know about the Pirelli. m
My only hesitation about the Direzza ZIII would be that here in Central North Carolina I run one tire year-round, it doesn't snow enough for winter tires, and I wonder if they would be really hard to drive in temperatures less than 45 degrees. The Indy 500s do fine in the cold temperatures, although I don't push them hard in that application. I'm not really worried about how many miles I get out of the tire, I don't put that many miles on a year, and in any event I only got 8800 miles out of the stock Bridgestone Potenza RE050As.
I had the old ZII on my Fiesta when I lived in Raleigh back in 2015. I never had issues in colder temps but I also drove like a granny when it got below 45F in them because I knew they really aren't intended for use at low temps, and I didnt drive the car when it was at or below freezing, just took the bus to campus.

Dunlop states below 40F is where the tire will start to have performance issues. And with any summer tire its important to try not to drive them when the tires are at or below freezing point or really cold temps. If you flex a summer tire thats at those colder temps (by driving for example) you run a risk of doing some serious damage to the compound. Same holds true for the Indy 500s

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Yes, people just don't seem to 'get' that a summer tire is NOT meant for those low temps, even one with a harder, higher treadwear rated (300/340+) compound.

True, the higher treadwear rated ones might have a tiny bit more 'leeway' than the 200TW stickies before freezing, and crystallizing/ruining their compounds, but it WILL happen, even to a 500+ treadwear, actual SUMMER tire at low temps. [wink]

CSM

1000 Post Club
Yes, people just don't seem to 'get' that a summer tire is NOT meant for those low temps, even one with a harder, higher treadwear rated (300/340+) compound.

True, the higher treadwear rated ones might have a tiny bit more 'leeway' than the 200TW stickies before freezing, and crystallizing/ruining their compounds, but it WILL happen, even to a 500+ treadwear, actual SUMMER tire at low temps. [wink]
Yes. Its really below freezing where you start to have irreversible damage done to summer tires. That's where they enter the Glassy State which isn't good for them long term. This is typically below freezing, usually 20F and below for summers, just generally speaking (tire makers never publish TG data for obvious reasons).

Anwyays,
I stated this in a previous thread and I stand by this - if you want a do it all, year round tire, with light snow/winter capabilities and decent performance characteristics, the Michelin Pilot All Season 4 is crazy good. I have a set as my daily driver tire on my Scion and am a big fan.

dhminer

2000 Post Club
I had the old ZII on my Fiesta when I lived in Raleigh back in 2015. I never had issues in colder temps but I also drove like a granny when it got below 45F in them because I knew they really aren't intended for use at low temps, and I didnt drive the car when it was at or below freezing, just took the bus to campus.

Dunlop states below 40F is where the tire will start to have performance issues. And with any summer tire its important to try not to drive them when the tires are at or below freezing point or really cold temps. If you flex a summer tire thats at those colder temps (by driving for example) you run a risk of doing some serious damage to the compound. Same holds true for the Indy 500s
Go pack 🤘🏼

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Yes. Its really below freezing where you start to have irreversible damage done to summer tires. That's where they enter the Glassy State which isn't good for them long term. This is typically below freezing, usually 20F and below for summers, just generally speaking (tire makers never publish TG data for obvious reasons).

Anwyays,
I stated this in a previous thread and I stand by this - if you want a do it all, year round tire, with light snow/winter capabilities and decent performance characteristics, the Michelin Pilot All Season 4 is crazy good. I have a set as my daily driver tire on my Scion and am a big fan.
AGREED, on the PS AS/4s, as my guess is that they are probably not much worse (maybe even better [dunno]) in warm/dry handling and turn-in than the much loved Firehawk 500s, and MUCH better suited for really cold temps. [thumb]

IF they made them in a 215/45-16, or a 225/45-16 they would be on my daily driver, year 'round, Dekas right now. [wink]

ronmcdon

Dunlop Z3 here too. I think it's one of the best tires out there for daily and track use. they don't overheat with extended track sessions, last a bit longer on the track, are easier to get than the rs4s. On the street they heat up quickly Its a tire that does very well with most things although not optimized for anything in particular.

for a street only tire, maybe it's overkill but really enjoying the falken rt660's. seems very responsive and gives a lot of feedback. also heat up very quick and I don't find they're any less uncomfortable than the indy 500's I replaced on my daily driver.

I'm a little confused. I've heard this comment before. Do people here not drive and enjoy their cars? How are you guys driving them? Just cruising around to the local Dairy Queen or something? No canyons or mountain roads? Indy 500's and the OEM Bridgestones are crap. I can blow those off on a single exit ramp while staying within the speed limit. I've daily driven 888r's, RS-RR's, RT660's, etc. Granted, I do drive my car harder on the street than most, hard enough to utilize a 200tw of sub 200tw tire, but that happens at 2am, on a mountain road, and no one around within 20 miles. Am I endangering myself?...yes, but im doing that on a track as well. It comes down to calculated risk. Every car I own, I bought to drive and enjoy, i guess everyone enjoys their cars in their own way tho. Idk, maybe it's just me. You only live once, enjoy your life.
As for a tire recommendation. Federal RS-RR's in 215/40r17. Good tire, great price, ok in rain, just avoid standing water with them, and depending on how hard your drive, you could get 15-20k miles out of them.
Sorry, my rant is over.
You don't have to apologize, I agree with you 100% with your comment about the 'if you drive to the limits of these tires on the street, you're endangering others' BS! How can you throw a blanket over EVERYONE, EVERYWHERE?? I drive really hard too, but NEVER like an ass, where it endangers others.

About your tire recommendation, Federal RS-RR, those are CHEAP! That was one of the OP's requirements. Where would you rank that one in spirited summer driving, along with all the others you've mentioned? Wish we could make a performance ranking, like 1-10....

TemecFist

You don't have to apologize, I agree with you 100% with your comment about the 'if you drive to the limits of these tires on the street, you're endangering others' BS! How can you throw a blanket over EVERYONE, EVERYWHERE?? I drive really hard too, but NEVER like an ass, where it endangers others.

About your tire recommendation, Federal RS-RR, those are CHEAP! That was one of the OP's requirements. Where would you rank that one in spirited summer driving, along with all the others you've mentioned? Wish we could make a performance ranking, like 1-10....
Honestly, they are really good tires for the money. The only downside is that they are loud. I've heard that the new RS-Pro is quieter, but I have no experience with it. I can only imagine it's a great tire as well. Is it an RE-71r?.....no, it's not, but it's still a very good tire, especially for the price. On a scale of 1-10 (a Tiger Paw being a "1" and RE-71r or equivalent being a "10") I would give these tires a solid "8" for summer, good weather driving. Lol.

Anwyays,
I WISH that Pilot a/s 4 was available in 215/40R17!!! What excellent tire mfg makes that size???

Erick_V

Honestly, they are really good tires for the money. The only downside is that they are loud. I've heard that the new RS-Pro is quieter, but I have no experience with it. I can only imagine it's a great tire as well. Is it an RE-71r?.....no, it's not, but it's still a very good tire, especially for the price. On a scale of 1-10 (a Tiger Paw being a "1" and RE-71r or equivalent being a "10") I would give these tires a solid "8" for summer, good weather driving. Lol.
I agree with you on pretty much everything. I have ran the RS-Pro's for the last year (actually got them mounted exactly a year ago) and I have daily-ed them for the last 6 months. I am actually very happy with them at their price point. They are not nearly as loud as the RSRR/RSR. Grip was pretty good once they're warmed up and the wear was what I expected. Only reason I'm not getting them again is because Texas only requires 2/32nds (I'm at 3/32nds) for tread so I'm going to wait a little longer and try the new RT660's out when my autox season starts. As far as cost vs grip goes I would easily put the RS-Pro's at a solid 7.5/10 for a street tire. I HATED the RSR, grip was almost as good but every bump felt like hitting a 1 foot pothole.

My car has somewhat aggressive toe (0.15 each side) and gets autocrossed on a montly basis so if a tire lasts me 6-8 months I'm happy lol

I'm going to sound like an old man here, but if you're driving your Indy 500's to the limit on the street to the point where you think you need more grip: You're being a jackass and endangering yourselves and others around you. I'd only recommend RE-71s, RT660s or other 200TW tires for those doing autocross or track days since they are more expensive, wear out much faster, and have less hydroplane resistance than the Indy's.

Indy 500 is probably the best street summer tire for the $.
I'm glad you said something. You're being a turd if you think you need RT660 or borderline track tires for the street. ALSO, you're probably relying more on all the grip of the tire and not knowing how to balance the car in the turns if your pushing 300tw tires in the canyons, I've seeen PLENTY of Porsche owners on 300 tw tires killing it in the backroads. Grip is important, but so is driver mod.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
I'm glad you said something. You're being a turd if you think you need RT660 or borderline track tires for the street. ALSO, you're probably relying more on all the grip of the tire and not knowing how to balance the car in the turns if your pushing 300tw tires in the canyons, I've seeen PLENTY of Porsche owners on 300 tw tires killing it in the backroads. Grip is important, but so is driver mod.
I think you are exaggerating some peoples comments. They are not saying they need to run them they are saying they prefer them. You are also judging people you don’t know and assuming a lot . I have RS Pro’s on my Dekagrams and they are fun do not have as much grip as the 660 but fun. I had 660’s on my Titans and they were awesome. I would also say if someone is running a hybrid or larger TURBO running stickier tires can be great as you don’t get tire spin again i have first hand experience . Do You? Or are you just talking over the internet with an opinion.
It‘s ok to have an opinion but experience is where the rubber hits the road! :LOL: