Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

What Tire do you guys run

dhminer

2000 Post Club
I think you are exaggerating some peoples comments. They are not saying they need to run them they are saying they prefer them. You are also judging people you don’t know and assuming a lot . I have RS Pro’s on my Dekagrams and they are fun do not have as much grip as the 660 but fun. I had 660’s on my Titans and they were awesome. I would also say if someone is running a hybrid or larger TURBO running stickier tires can be great as you don’t get tire spin again i have first hand experience . Do You? Or are you just talking over the internet with an opinion.
It‘s ok to have an opinion but experience is where the rubber hits the road! :LOL:
Second this. Without 200TW tires I have 0 traction in 1-3 gears unless I roll into it which isn’t fun. Hell - my next tires will probably be 100TW because why not?

akiraproject24

1000 Post Club
U.S. Marine Veteran
I can say for certain that the 200tw Direzza's changed my vehicle in terms of putting down power on E30. On the stock bridgestones I had to feather into acceleration and after the direzza's I could aggressively add more pedal and not spin. In all fairness I also added .5" to the wheel width and the tire is 215.

akiraproject24

1000 Post Club
U.S. Marine Veteran
Dunlop Z3 here too. I think it's one of the best tires out there for daily and track use. they don't overheat with extended track sessions, last a bit longer on the track, are easier to get than the rs4s. On the street they heat up quickly Its a tire that does very well with most things although not optimized for anything in particular.

for a street only tire, maybe it's overkill but really enjoying the falken rt660's. seems very responsive and gives a lot of feedback. also heat up very quick and I don't find they're any less uncomfortable than the indy 500's I replaced on my daily driver.
I know this is an older post but if you see this. Having run both Direzza and 660, do either of them feel closer to that stock sharpness of turn in? I know the Direzza feel a tad more floaty to me, not as sharp. I wonder if the 660 would get me closer?

Also not trying to turn anyone off to the Direzza. When you push them a little they perform well and feel great.

dhminer

2000 Post Club
I know this is an older post but if you see this. Having run both Direzza and 660, do either of them feel closer to that stock sharpness of turn in? I know the Direzza feel a tad more floaty to me, not as sharp. I wonder if the 660 would get me closer?

Also not trying to turn anyone off to the Direzza. When you push them a little they perform well and feel great.
Not tried 660s but the 615s feel excellent. Just as sharp but sketchy af if it’s raining hard and there’s any standing water, compared to the stock re050s which I’m back running again.

Magnetic

I'm a little confused. I've heard this comment before. Do people here not drive and enjoy their cars? How are you guys driving them? Just cruising around to the local Dairy Queen or something? No canyons or mountain roads? Indy 500's and the OEM Bridgestones are crap. I can blow those off on a single exit ramp while staying within the speed limit. I've daily driven 888r's, RS-RR's, RT660's, etc. Granted, I do drive my car harder on the street than most, hard enough to utilize a 200tw of sub 200tw tire, but that happens at 2am, on a mountain road, and no one around within 20 miles. Am I endangering myself?...yes, but im doing that on a track as well. It comes down to calculated risk. Every car I own, I bought to drive and enjoy, i guess everyone enjoys their cars in their own way tho. Idk, maybe it's just me. You only live once, enjoy your life.
As for a tire recommendation. Federal RS-RR's in 215/40r17. Good tire, great price, ok in rain, just avoid standing water with them, and depending on how hard your drive, you could get 15-20k miles out of them.

Sorry, my rant is over.
I'm in the same boat as you. I've gone out late or early AM to get a nice zip in while things are calm. That's how I've been able to really see what the car can do. Testing new parts and etc. I've got the RT660s and they have great grip. The only thing I wish I could find that would make an ultimate tire is the 660 grip with the OEM turn in.

If anyone knows of such a tire I'm all ears. Doesn't matter what they cost. I almost went back to OEMs but decided to give the 660s a shot.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I think you are exaggerating some peoples comments. They are not saying they need to run them they are saying they prefer them. You are also judging people you don’t know and assuming a lot . I have RS Pro’s on my Dekagrams and they are fun do not have as much grip as the 660 but fun. I had 660’s on my Titans and they were awesome. I would also say if someone is running a hybrid or larger TURBO running stickier tires can be great as you don’t get tire spin again i have first hand experience . Do You? Or are you just talking over the internet with an opinion.
It‘s ok to have an opinion but experience is where the rubber hits the road! :LOL:
It also comes down to the manufacturers refusing to make some of the tire sizes we need/desire in just plain old 300/340 tread wear summer OR all season offerings as well.

There are almost no/none/zero/nada NOT 100 or 200 tread wear summer tires made or offered here in North America in a 215/45-16 or a 215/40-17, let alone an all season for those of us who could use that in lieu of a true winter tire. [mad]

ronmcdon

I don't recall the turn in of the OEM tires that much tbh. I do know the turn in for the 660s is sharper than the direzzas definitely. Its why I had the 660s thrown on my daily beater civic hyrid w/ cvt transmission, which I had no intention of ever taking to an autoX. really increased the fun factor.

The direzzas do their job well in terms of keeping temps up, as I like to do back to back, 20-30min non-competitve hpde runs sometimes close to or above 100f. Never did overheat the Direzzas and I imagine the tire wear would last longer than the 660's.

For a daily driver in place that rarely gets below 40f and seldom rains, the 660s I would say definitely are the best for a daily driven tire given how fun they are. You dont have to drive 10/10s to enjoy them imo

I don't recall the turn in of the OEM tires that much tbh. I do know the turn in for the 660s is sharper than the direzzas definitely. Its why I had the 660s thrown on my daily beater civic hyrid w/ cvt transmission, which I had no intention of ever taking to an autoX. really increased the fun factor.

The direzzas do their job well in terms of keeping temps up, as I like to do back to back, 20-30min non-competitve hpde runs sometimes close to or above 100f. Never did overheat the Direzzas and I imagine the tire wear would last longer than the 660's.

For a daily driver in place that rarely gets below 40f and seldom rains, the 660s I would say definitely are the best for a daily driven tire given how fun they are. You dont have to drive 10/10s to enjoy them imo
How bad are they in the rain? It rains a ton here in Oregon, usually I stop using my 200tw tires around September :(

CSM

1000 Post Club
How bad are they in the rain? It rains a ton here in Oregon, usually I stop using my 200tw tires around September :(
People that have issues with 200TW tires in the rain are doing 1 of 2 things:
- They're letting the tire get dangerously low on tread depth and sacrificing the ability of the tire to evacuate water
- Over driving

FWIW, I took the second overall raw time in a field of 75 last summer at an Autocross in Toledo Express Airport in my Solo Spec Coupe prepped FRS (which uses RT660s). POURING rain the entire day. A literal miserable monsoon. Only car that raw timed me was a full prepped DSP car on Rain Hoosiers.

RT660s are just fine in rain.

It also comes down to the manufacturers refusing to make some of the tire sizes we need/desire in just plain old 300/340 tread wear summer OR all season offerings as well.

There are almost no/none/zero/nada NOT 100 or 200 tread wear summer tires made or offered here in North America in a 215/45-16 or a 215/40-17, let alone an all season for those of us who could use that in lieu of a true winter tire. [mad]
indeed... looking at tirerack, my choices are 660s or R1Rs for an extreme summer on my 16x7s.

Last edited:

CSM

1000 Post Club

FWIW the newly released Michelin Pilot Sport 5, which IMO is the benchmark non 200TW summer tire available, will have a 205/40/17 size available. No word yet if that will make it to the US though. If so, it'll be the best summer tire option for those on OEM wheels for most FiST f olks

Erick_V

People that have issues with 200TW tires in the rain are doing 1 of 2 things:
- They're letting the tire get dangerously low on tread depth and sacrificing the ability of the tire to evacuate water
- Over driving
RT660s are just fine in rain.
This. I'm at like 4-5/32nds left on my RT660's and have been in the rain multiple times. Drive for the conditions and you're fine.

To add to the above discussion on RT660's, I've been pretty happy with my RT660's and am getting a new set after I finish them off at the SCCA Track Nights in April (Harris Hill). I'm E30, stock turbo and weigh under 2700lbs. I need the traction. Also run SMF in autocross. I don't put that many miles on my car where I have to worry about longevity, about 100-200 miles a week. They are pretty much perfect as a DD tire if your weather permits.

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
FWIW the newly released Michelin Pilot Sport 5, which IMO is the benchmark non 200TW summer tire available, will have a 205/40/17 size available. No word yet if that will make it to the US though. If so, it'll be the best summer tire option for those on OEM wheels for most FiST f olks
That's great news, thanks for posting it. I just called Michelin, and they told me that the Pilot Sport 5 will be available in our OEM 205/40-17 size beginning in March of 2022.
Of course Tire Rack told me that a new version of the OEM Bridgestone Potenza RE050A would be coming out about a year ago, and that it would be available in our OEM size, but that never happened, so I will say I'm cautiously optimistic about the Michelin Pilot Sport 5 being available in the US in our size.

Last edited:

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
That's great news, thanks for posting it. I just called Michelin, and they told me that the Pilot Sport 5 will be available in our OEM 205/40-17 size beginning in May of 2022.
Of course Tire Rack told me that a new version of the OEM Bridgestone Potenza RE050A would be coming out about a year ago, and that it would be available in our OEM size, but that never happened, so I will say I'm cautiously optimistic about the Michelin Pilot Sport 5 being available in the US in our size.
They say March 1st 22' here.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/news/a38940520/michelin-pilot-sport-5-tires/

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
Is that for the US market?
I'm on pilot sport 4s right now and I like them as a do-it-all tire option
Yes the March 1, 2022 date is for the US. According to Michelin, that's the launch date for the Pilot Sport 5 for the worldwide market. They launched in Europe on January 1st.
https://www.michelin.com/en/press-r...n-pilot-sport-5-and-michelin-primacy-4-tires/

What size of the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S do you have? I don't believe they are available in the OEM 205/40-17 size.

FiestaSTdude

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Yes the March 1, 2022 date is for the US. According to Michelin, that's the launch date for the Pilot Sport 5 for the worldwide market. They launched in Europe on January 1st.
https://www.michelin.com/en/press-r...n-pilot-sport-5-and-michelin-primacy-4-tires/

What size of the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S do you have? I don't believe they are available in the OEM 205/40-17 size.
I have the oem size, 205/40R17, I'm like 99% sure.
Glad to hear that they're releasing the new ones here as well. Hopefully they'll be as good as the 3s and 4s.

CSM

1000 Post Club
Michelin Pilot Sport 4S are indeed available in a 205/40/17 size. However, I don't think they ever made it over to the US Market from a widespread release standpoint, and were primarily a European product. I think a few smaller tire resellers imported a handful of sets though.

Pilot Sport 5 is going to be fantastic. I'll get a set on my GR86 at some point (if it ever gets here)

Totally opinion, but from experience? ha.

I did exaggerate, that's fair... BUT, my point (Judgement removed, ish) is that many of us use our Fiestas differently (even though they were intended to be a handling car)— so everyone's experience and needs for a tire vary, and don't always apply to the other person. RT660 makes sense (IMO, for someone who autocross & tracks, or strictly beats the snot out of the canyon roads... but if you just put around town, peeling out at stoplights and on-ramps and you think you need 200tw, you need to adjust your throttle inputs, not your grip. But hey, I understand wanting to punch it in 2nd gear occasionally. My point is, tires like that really shine and are worth your money when you FULLY use them, lateral grip and all, not just straight ahead WOT.

My case:

I daily my fiesta (E30, stock turbo, Intercooler etc...) lead a lot of fast-paced canyon runs, and plan for some auto-x soon. I have two wheelsets, stocks for daily use occasional spirited solo runs, and I'm setting aside my 16' TDs for auto-x cross and possibly more intense canyon runs. I used Conti ECS over the last year and never felt the need for more grip during a fast-paced rally... most of the time, if I felt I hit the limits, it was driver error. If I pushed any harder I feel like that's no bueno for public roads...needs to go to the track... THEN I would bother with some RS4, RT600, Star Spec, RE71R whatever. I DID have RS4 on the car for a little while, confidence was AWESOME, but I felt like they were getting fully utilized unless I put them on the track or auto-x.

This time around, I'm looking for a longer-lasting tire, all-season, that can handle SOME hustle on the backroads with my stock wheels. (16s will take a back seat and get some 200tw when auto-x comes into play). I'm looking at Michelin Pilot Sport A/S - had them before and honestly... gripped better than some Hankook ventus 300tw I had... lasted me nearly 45k with heavy use... they're impressive. Another option might be the GMAX AS-05, although they don't seem to be as grippy as the Michelin, but steering sounds really good and they're $80 less!!! I could go with summers (Firehawk, bleh - or Advan Fleva) but it's getting low 30s here in the winter and early spring... not sure I wanna go for a good early morning drive when it's that cold on those.

Anyway... my thoughts.

Last edited: